Balanced VS RCA

bacmsl

Balanced VS RCA
« on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:57 pm »
I am waiting for my BP26 to arrive anyday to go with my 4B-SST and OB1'S. The question is, is there any sonic advantage to Balanced connections over RCA between the BP26 and 4B-SST. I know that it is all in the person listening and their perspective but I have never had a pre or power amp with balanced connections before. Just looking for a general indication.

BM

Sebastiaan de Vries

• http://www.soundevolution.nl
Re: Balanced VS RCA
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2006, 03:34 pm »
Dear,

Wel if you really want to convince yourself try it both and listen yourself. I strongly advice balanced connections, even though the distance of the cables is short. The disadvantage of unbalanced connections is that the signal refer to a common ground or zero. Balanced connections have the signal floating above ground or zero. The receiver side sees a potential between two in opposite phase signal parts. External noise and interference get supressed.

Best regards,
Bas

ec

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2006, 05:46 pm »
Another reason why I like balanced connectors is that it provides a solid locking connection and the wire is usually much more flexible.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2006, 04:42 pm »
Hi All,

There are a number of ways that you can accomplish a Balanced Line - the most popular are Transformers, IC's and Discrete Circuits. Bryston uses Class A Discrete circuits due to their performance advantages.

The up-side of Balanced lines is that they provide for a system that does not pickup any noise, RF etc. in the cables. They have what is know as Commom-Mode-Noise Rejection. Cables are antenna's and they will pick up noise around them. Balanced lines eliminates that problem so the noise floor of your system components are not affected by the outside world.

The down-side of Balanced lines is that you need two more amplification stages - one sending stage and one receiving. So the way in which you execute the balanced system is crucial.

Given the world today is full of these RF issues these days I ususally recommend the use of Balanced Lines.

james