Initial thoughts on my Analog SB2 with all the goodies + the kitchen sink

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I know that I have been promising to write a review of Wayne's full blown analog SB2 for quite a while now.  While I am not quite there yet, I did feel like it was a least time to post a little on the topic while I try to finish the formal review.

To set the stage, here is a little bit on the system and more importantly the SB2...

-  Bolder Cable modified (analog) SB2 powered by an Ultimate II power supply (with the upgraded Summit connector) directly connected via ElectraCable or VH Audio (Spectrum Cu) IC’s to the
-  Moscode 401 HR (with NOS Amperex Pinched Waist 6922 from 1956) which feeds a pair of stock
-  Salk Sound Veracity HT3’s via Gregg Straley speaker cable.
-  Power cords on the Moscode and Ultimate II PS are the Black Sand Silver Reference MK IV.
-  Everything is plugged into a Running Springs Audio Haley (which uses a VH Audio AirSine power cord), which is plugged into a Monster AVS-2000 for voltage regulation.

Here is what Wayne had to say about my analog SB2: 

“George now has everything I have come up with, so far   , that can be put in a SB2 chassis. He has all the power supply updates. LOTS and LOTS of BlackGate NX caps, Sonicap and Sonicap Platinums in the output section and the latest and greatest GOLD Bybee Purifiers.”

So how does it sound when compared to my previous setup (Wayne’s digital SB2 into an Aberdeen Components modified tact 2.2x)?

It handily betters my previous setup in all areas but one - music from 100Hz down (I will save going into the differences between the setups as well as the usual audiophile checklist until my actual review).

For now let’s just leave it at this…I have been listening more to my system these last few weeks than I had a in a long time.  This has happened, even though the amount of free time I have available has decreased!!  Simply put, I am compelled to listen.   :thumb:

So now you know that I really, really, like what I am hearing…hopefully my upcoming review will adequately explain how I came to that viewpoint.

Stay tuned…

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Zybar,

Did you at one time have a different power supply on the SB 2? I have the modded Elpac. I was wondering if you did as well and could give your opinions and review on the differences.

Cheers

zybar

• Volunteer
Zybar,

Did you at one time have a different power supply on the SB 2? I have the modded Elpac. I was wondering if you did as well and could give your opinions and review on the differences.

Cheers

I have had different power supplies from Wayne in the past, but I have been using his Ultimate and Ultimate II ps for quite some time in my main system.  I do use his modified Elpac ps in my bedroom system.

I will not be talking about different power supplies in this thread.  If you search AC, there are already quite a few very good threads that discuss the differences in the various power supplies.

George

Double Ugly

Congrats on finding the right mix of pieces and parts to bring it all home, George.  I tried different pre-amps, and even auditioned Anthony's top-of-the-line TacT pre, but there's something special about taking the signal directly to the amps.  To me, it's simply more organic ... a *LOT* more organic actually, but that's it in a nutshell.

As the first recipient of Wayne's "Ultimate" PS and tricked-out SB2, I think I can appreciate what you're hearing.  I tried other versions from other vendors, but none were a match for the Bolder models.  With the care you've taken building your system, and considering your PS and SB mods are several steps beyond what I had, I have to imagine you're approaching nirvana.

When it comes to Squeezebox modifications, Wayne is the man ... period.

Congrats again, and Merry Christmas!

-Jim

Turk

George,

Out of curiosity, were you using the Moscode in the previous setup or the BAT?  Reason I ask is I have found the Bolder SB2 with all the goodies to be sensitive to the bass produced by the amp.  The difference in my system seems entirely amp related, but then again I have not done a direct bass comparison with another DAC and switched out the amps.

Jerry

TomS

I set my Bolder SB2 on 3 myrtle wood blocks and dropped a heavy brass weight on the top to compress it onto them a little.  I put the Ultimate MK2 power supply on 3 of those rubber/cork IsoBlocks.  It definitely changed the sound (bass) though I'm still trying various combinations to find the best one.  My power supply and caps are still breaking in, so the sound is still a bit manic-depressive, making this difficult.  The good spells are VERY good, but I do need more patience....

zybar

• Volunteer
George,

Out of curiosity, were you using the Moscode in the previous setup or the BAT?  Reason I ask is I have found the Bolder SB2 with all the goodies to be sensitive to the bass produced by the amp.  The difference in my system seems entirely amp related, but then again I have not done a direct bass comparison with another DAC and switched out the amps.

Jerry

Jerry,

It has only been with the Moscode.  I'll talk a lot about the bass in formal review. 

George

zybar

• Volunteer
I set my Bolder SB2 on 3 myrtle wood blocks and dropped a heavy brass weight on the top to compress it onto them a little.  I put the Ultimate MK2 power supply on 3 of those rubber/cork IsoBlocks.  It definitely changed the sound (bass) though I'm still trying various combinations to find the best one.  My power supply and caps are still breaking in, so the sound is still a bit manic-depressive, making this difficult.  The good spells are VERY good, but I do need more patience....

Tom,

I have my SB2 on a 4' tick slab of maple from Timbernation.com with a couple of Ultimate Triple Points on top of it.  All of that is on a Sistrum SP-101 platform, which in turn sits on an Adona rack (yes, I know I have a problem).   :lol:

More importantly, I have the Ultimate Mk II on top of a set of tune blocks.  Unfortunately, it is the entry level set as Boston Audio is sold out of their top of the line SE model.  Once those are back in stock, I will be putting the SE's under the Ultimate II.  I expect it to improve bass the bass response by reducing the overhang I have, as well as opening up the soundstage and allowing more detail to come through.

Luckily for me, both my SB2 and Ultimate II are well past the break-in points.   :thumb:

Hang in there, it is definitely worth it in the end.

George

George

zybar

• Volunteer
Congrats on finding the right mix of pieces and parts to bring it all home, George.  I tried different pre-amps, and even auditioned Anthony's top-of-the-line TacT pre, but there's something special about taking the signal directly to the amps.  To me, it's simply more organic ... a *LOT* more organic actually, but that's it in a nutshell.

As the first recipient of Wayne's "Ultimate" PS and tricked-out SB2, I think I can appreciate what you're hearing.  I tried other versions from other vendors, but none were a match for the Bolder models.  With the care you've taken building your system, and considering your PS and SB mods are several steps beyond what I had, I have to imagine you're approaching nirvana.

When it comes to Squeezebox modifications, Wayne is the man ... period.

Congrats again, and Merry Christmas!

-Jim

And a Merry Christmas to you and your family Jim.   :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

George

TomS

George,

Sounds like you been through the mill on this already (yes, you DO have a problem).  I actually have a couple of Critical Mass Systems platforms for my Joule amps.  That might be kind of interesting, though the SB2 is so flyweight.  Maybe put the PS on one of them and the SB2 on the other just to see what happens  :o  Let's see, iso platforms that cost 10x the electronics.  Are we having fun yet?

Tom

jhm731

Has anyone compared Wayne's "Ultimate" PS and tricked-out SB2 to a MauiMods Transporter?