Bolder Ultimate II PS finally broken in

tdangelo

Bolder Ultimate II PS finally broken in
« on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:48 pm »
Wayne built me a U2 PS with copper Bybee and the Summit DC cable a few weeks ago.  I've been burning it in for about 500 hours now.  Its amazing how those 500 hrs. transformed this PS.  When I first got it, I warmed it up for about 1hr and then compared it to my MauiMods Ref. - it was immediately apparent that the brand new U2 was at a much higher level sonically than the Maui.  I've said this before but the lushness and the feeling that I just opened a foggy window onto the music was overwhelming!!!  I listened to Kimmie Rhodes and Willie Nelson - Picture in a Frame.  It actually brought a tear to my eye  :oops:  I immediately went back to the Maui and found it somewhat dead sounding in comparison - veiled and unemotional.  Its funny how you think something sounds awesome until you compare it to something better!  During the 500 hrs.  the sound went bad-good-bad-good several times.  I was aware that this would happen due to the caps forming in... in the last 300-400 hrs I haven't noticed anymore changes and the sound remain EXCELLENT!  I've made a couple other cable changes during this breakin but the PS still stands out as being outstanding!  At the time Wayne was building my PS I sent him my SB2 that he modded about 1 year ago.  Wayne graciously upgraded both the digital and analog to current spec free of charge!  Thats excellent customer service from Wayne - as usual  :D  I'm using the SB2 digital out via a Purist Audio Design digital cable into a MHDT Paradisea DAC(Bendix Redbank tube).  I'm getting the best sound from the SB ever.  Very detailed,  lush,  transparent, super deep/defined bass, not fatiguing etc...  You get the point.  Very well done Wayne ;)

Thanks

Tony

Freejazz

Re: Bolder Ultimate II PS finally broken in
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2006, 06:40 pm »
I can attest to this same improvement with my Ultimate MKII (w/ my Bolder-modded SB2), as it took things to a much higher level.

Where I was really amazed, however, was in mating Wayne's Ultimate MK II that is optimized for use with the HT Cyberlight cables.  I had used the HT wall wart, and both the HT and EVS battery supplies.  Wayne made me a two "output" version to supply power to two pairs of Cyberlight cables. Simply a huge improvement over any of the other options.

Much more to tell, but I just wanted to concur and say thanks.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2006, 02:56 am »
Tony and Scott,

Thank you very much for your comments on the Ultimate PS MKII.

There are lots of ways to build a DC power supply. You can go by measurements :D

You can try things that work with lab gear and constant current demand.

The Ultimate PS MKII is built according to the way it sounds with the gear it is supposed to supply.

I really don't care if another design tests as having lower ripple or any other spec. The only thing that matters to me is: How does it sound?

In theory, batteries "should" be better for a DC supply. In my experience, they tend to fall short of real world goals.

The Ultimate PS MKII can be used for any 5 to 12 VDC application.

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2006, 12:48 am »
What did you pay for the MauiMods power supply verses the U2 PS ?

Wayne built me a U2 PS with copper Bybee and the Summit DC cable a few weeks ago.  I've been burning it in for about 500 hours now.  Its amazing how those 500 hrs. transformed this PS.  When I first got it, I warmed it up for about 1hr and then compared it to my MauiMods Ref. - it was immediately apparent that the brand new U2 was at a much higher level sonically than the Maui.  I've said this before but the lushness and the feeling that I just opened a foggy window onto the music was overwhelming!!!  I listened to Kimmie Rhodes and Willie Nelson - Picture in a Frame.  It actually brought a tear to my eye  :oops:  I immediately went back to the Maui and found it somewhat dead sounding in comparison - veiled and unemotional.  Its funny how you think something sounds awesome until you compare it to something better!  During the 500 hrs.  the sound went bad-good-bad-good several times.  I was aware that this would happen due to the caps forming in... in the last 300-400 hrs I haven't noticed anymore changes and the sound remain EXCELLENT!  I've made a couple other cable changes during this breakin but the PS still stands out as being outstanding!  At the time Wayne was building my PS I sent him my SB2 that he modded about 1 year ago.  Wayne graciously upgraded both the digital and analog to current spec free of charge!  Thats excellent customer service from Wayne - as usual  :D  I'm using the SB2 digital out via a Purist Audio Design digital cable into a MHDT Paradisea DAC(Bendix Redbank tube).  I'm getting the best sound from the SB ever.  Very detailed,  lush,  transparent, super deep/defined bass, not fatiguing etc...  You get the point.  Very well done Wayne ;)

Thanks

Tony

tdangelo

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2006, 01:30 am »
the Ultimate II was about 2 times the price - but I think its definitely worth it ;)  I should have stated the price difference in my mini review  :oops:

Tony
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2006, 03:59 am by tdangelo »

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2006, 04:25 pm »
Mr. TDangelo

If I am reading you right, you are saying that the improvements you are hearing - less foggy, dead, etc. are due to the Bolder Ultimate PS and Summit Cable (with SB2 digital out to dac)?

If so, that is high praise for just changing a power supply!

Bill

tdangelo

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2006, 06:06 pm »
exactly.  I always find that once I insert a component and then remove it,  there is where I hear a greater difference - be it good or bad.  The PS on the SB makes a huge difference to my ears.

Tony

Mr. TDangelo

If I am reading you right, you are saying that the improvements you are hearing - less foggy, dead, etc. are due to the Bolder Ultimate PS and Summit Cable (with SB2 digital out to dac)?

Bill

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2006, 06:16 pm »
Thanks for the info. All these mods really start to add up $$$. Rather than put more money into my SB, I'm going to give a MauiMods Transporter a try. 8)

the Ultimate II was about 2 times the price - but I think its definitely worth it ;)  I should have stated the price difference in my mini review  :oops:

Tony

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2006, 06:16 pm »
exactly.  I always find that once I insert a component and then remove it,  there is where I hear a greater difference - be it good or bad.  The PS on the SB makes a huge difference to my ears.

Tony

Mr. TDangelo

Bill

I've heard it, too, as have several here who've traded-up to Wayne's best PS.  I don't own mine any longer, but I know what Tony says is true. 

The difference is startling IMO, so much so that my wife commented on the difference as soon as she walked into the house from a week-long trip.  She made it as far as the kitchen before stopping, listening and saying, "Is that the new power supply from Wayne?"   :o

FWIW...

-Jim

ipy

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2006, 06:21 pm »
Mr. TDangelo

Bill
IMO, a good quality power supply is important & would contribute to at least 50% of the final SB sound quality. Like others here, I switched from the SB3 stock PS to Wayne's Basic Rev.1 w/Jensen caps & the improvement is siginficant.

Jon L

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:07 pm »
How about a detailed comparison between Paradisea vs. analogue output of SB2/U2?

tdangelo

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:32 pm »
I wish I could ;(  The modded SB2's output voltage isn't enough to get my amps loud at all ;(  My Jolida's need 2.35V for 200wpc - the modded SB2 only puts out 1.1V if I remember right?  I may try it again this weekend.

Tony

How about a detailed comparison between Paradisea vs. analogue output of SB2/U2?

95bcwh

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2006, 11:47 pm »
But does your SB2 analog out has all the goodies???

I wish I could ;(  The modded SB2's output voltage isn't enough to get my amps loud at all ;(  My Jolida's need 2.35V for 200wpc - the modded SB2 only puts out 1.1V if I remember right?  I may try it again this weekend.

Tony

95bcwh

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2006, 11:51 pm »

By the way, Scott from "Enjoy the music" has compared the two and prefers the Bolder's analog out.. I can't seems to find that link.. :scratch:

tdangelo

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2006, 11:57 pm »
just the normal analog upgrades that Wayne does - no Bybees.  It wouldn't really matter anyways - I don't get enough volume.  I'm guessing but I don't think I even get 83-86db....

Tony

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2006, 05:27 am »
just the normal analog upgrades that Wayne does - no Bybees.  It wouldn't really matter anyways - I don't get enough volume.  I'm guessing but I don't think I even get 83-86db....

Tony

George (Zybar), if you're out there - don't you run your SB2 directly into your Moscode amp?  Do you get enough volume or does the low output volume of the SB2 negate running straight into an amp?
Just curious, in case I ever try to go that route.
Bill

oris98

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2006, 08:39 am »
Hi all,

Does it benefits for the digital out only with the Ultimate PS ?   Or it most benfits analog out ?
Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2006, 01:51 pm »
George (Zybar), if you're out there - don't you run your SB2 directly into your Moscode amp?  Do you get enough volume or does the low output volume of the SB2 negate running straight into an amp?
Just curious, in case I ever try to go that route.
Bill

I run the SB2 directly into the Moscode and don't have any volume issues.  For some songs I do get it as high as 90-95 out of 100, but that is VERY loud and definitely an exception.  Most of my listening is in the 70-85 range.

BTW, my speakers are fairly inefficient (only 85db), but my amp has higher than usual gain (30-33db's depending on which tubes I use).

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2006, 01:52 pm »
Hi all,

Does it benefits for the digital out only with the Ultimate PS ?   Or it most benfits analog out ?
Thanks.

It benefits both.  I tried all levels of Wayne's PS with my digital SB2 and the improvements were quite apparent and noticeable.

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2006, 01:53 pm »
The power supply upgrades definitely benefit a digital out setup.

Bryan