AV-3 vs OB-5 in HT setup - Opinions?

mnapuran

AV-3 vs OB-5 in HT setup - Opinions?
« on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:10 am »
Okay... criteria for many clients is:

1) Used in home theater setup (preferably w/ matching center)
2) Within 6-12" from front wall (with traps if needed)
3) Sound Quality quite important for stereo music as well

So question is, which to use... AV-3's or OB-5's?  Price not a real issue.

Danny Richie

Re: AV-3 vs OB-5 in HT setup - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:27 pm »
The OB-5 clearly has the performance edge with greater transparency, lush vocal range and really dynamic highs.

But 6 to 12" is a little close to the wall. If you can be as far away as 12" you'll be fine with either. If you are as close as 6" then I would be inclined to run the port out the front on the A/V-3, and on the OB-5 you might even consider going with a sealed box.

You aren't too far away Mike. You could drive up and hear them both.

mnapuran

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:53 pm »
Thanks Danny... true.  Perhaps I could move them closer to the wall in your room to get some better perspective. 

When are you going to be around next week?  :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2006, 05:02 pm »
There is no way to get them that close to the wall in my listening room. That wall is covered with racks, a big screen TV, a sub, and large tube traps.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2006, 05:12 pm »
Danny,

It looks like one of the LS's had a little accident on the carpet. You might wanna clean that up before it leaves a stain. :lol:

Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2006, 06:29 pm »
That was during testing. They both have the networks clipped to them on the floor behind them.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2006, 07:12 pm »
That was during testing. They both have the networks clipped to them on the floor behind them.

Hey Danny.  Are those the 50 watters with the 829Bs in them?  They look a little wider like the 120s but I don't see enough tubes.

I'll be getting mine from Gary real soon.  Can't wait.

Larry

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2006, 07:19 pm »
Yes that is what they are, but mine were the very first pair made and they are on the older 120 chassis.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2006, 08:25 pm »
Yes that is what they are, but mine were the very first pair made and they are on the older 120 chassis.

You be drivin' LS's with those puppies too.  My heart's a flutter.   aa

mnapuran

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:14 pm »
Darn.. no way to put em closer to the walls, eh?  I do assume you have both the AV3's and OB5's in the demo room tho?  :)

What day is good next week? Wed?  Tues?  8)

phoenix_rising

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:50 pm »
For my 2c worth you might be best using DayGlow's idea of OB7's minus the subs, they will be more dynamic than the OB5 and IMHO better suited to the dynamics of home theater. It will also make placement easier as the woofer section is sealed not ported. They would also be a couple of inches shorted than the OB5 so asthetics would be roughly the same.

mnapuran

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:51 am »
For my 2c worth you might be best using DayGlow's idea of OB7's minus the subs, they will be more dynamic than the OB5 and IMHO better suited to the dynamics of home theater. It will also make placement easier as the woofer section is sealed not ported. They would also be a couple of inches shorted than the OB5 so asthetics would be roughly the same.

Interesting idea... Danny, comments?

« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2006, 06:01 am by mnapuran »

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:59 am »
I actually don't have a demo pair of OB-5's right now. I do have OB-7's and A/V-3's though.

The recommendation of the OB-7 minus the subs is a good one too. And yes you can put all four woofers under the MTM open baffle section just like an OB-5. I guess I am going to have to build one of those.

mnapuran

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:01 am »
Hrmmm....

Also, what about doing the OB5's in a sealed enclosure design instead?  Since in almost every case, the users will have a separate subwoofer in the room anyhow?  Or perhaps leave the OB5's as they are, but front port instead of rear?

Danny? :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:15 am »
If they have to be really close to the front wall then I would run them sealed.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2006, 08:15 am »
The recommendation of the OB-7 minus the subs is a good one too. And yes you can put all four woofers under the MTM open baffle section just like an OB-5. I guess I am going to have to build one of those.

Danny,

Any idea when you might get around to the OB 7 /M-165X woofers hybrid?

Cheers

phoenix_rising

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2006, 10:59 am »
Hrmmm....

Also, what about doing the OB5's in a sealed enclosure design instead?  Since in almost every case, the users will have a separate subwoofer in the room anyhow?  Or perhaps leave the OB5's as they are, but front port instead of rear?

Danny? :)

For home theater IMHO it would not be as good as the cut down OB7 which has 4 woofers, for music I do not think it would make a lot of difference unless you like it very loud. The problem with home theater is the major bursts you get and very busy scenes with los of explosions and dialog on top, having four woofers covering the lower end means you will have a lot lower distortion during these passages. I have found that in home theater there is no substitute for displacement. The alternative to my ears is always high distortion (compressed sounding) during the peaks. The cut down OB7 to me is a good solution because it is easy to place near walls, has a small form factor (high WAF factor like the OB5), below 70hz the bass is largely non directional so there is no real downside to using a separate sub in this instance. If you do not listen at theater reference levels however then the OB5 in a sealed configuration or front ported should work as well. Since money is no object though I would build the cut down OB7's and would recommend running two subs, one to handle the lower end for the OB7's (for music and home theater) one for the home theater LFE, this would give you the best of all worlds.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:17 pm »
If you're seriously considering the OB 5 as a L/R main in a H/T setup, then it makes sense to keep in mind the huge dynamics that current movies contain. The additional woofers of the hybrid OB 7 model, will really shine here with more power handling and lower distortion as phoenix_rising mentions. It will add only a few bucks over the OB 5. Nickel and dimes IMHO.

Cheers

mnapuran

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2006, 04:34 am »
Welll... you'd certainlly think the OB5's could handle anything thrown at the AV3's.... wouldn't you?

How would front ported the OB5's (or for that matter, the AV3's) affect things?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2006, 05:59 am »
I think the OB 5's could handle a little more due to the fact they are a 3 way speaker. An MTM section for high's and mid's and a ported WW section for lows. The AV/3's are a 2 way MTM in a transmission line. The OB 5 uses the same M-130 mid-bass driver, but has more of them, so of course less distortion and more power handling.

Danny's better able to answer your questions though, about whether to run them front ported or sealed, and how that would affect their performance.

Cheers