Portal's new to market Integrated amp?

ehider

« on: 6 Jan 2003, 02:57 am »
I just got word about this "high end"  :?:  direct to market Integrated amplifier ("Portal Panache") that has a 60 day return money back guarantee. Portal seems to have done their homework on this design and may have achieved the the best bang for the buck under the $2k price point for what you can expect from a 100w amp and high quality pre all combined in one chasiss. (List price is $1795).

As we all know though, the real quesiton is: how does it sound? If anyone gets their hands on one of these I want to hear some feedback!  :lol:  

See link http://www.portalaudio.com/panache.html

audiojerry

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:19 pm »
ehider, is there something about this integrated that you feel makes it more noteworthy than so many other integrateds in the price range?

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:22 pm »
I'd be interested to know as well.  I quickly read that Portal was started by Abrahms (of Monster Power fame).  I don't know whether he has a large reputation in the industry cause frankly I haven't heard much of his name mentioned.

ehider

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:29 pm »
Audiojerry,

This is one of those rumors "there's finally an integrated worth considering" that I heard through the grapevine. No one I really trust, but after reviewing the website link it looks as if this unit may just live up to the rumor. It helps that this unit is being sold direct unlike other integrated amplifiers that have 35 to 60% mark-ups (due to dealer incentives). Hypothetically, this could allow the manufacturer to give the consumer more for his money as compared to other integrated amplifier offerings.

Additionally, I'm very intrigued by this guy's background (anybody close to Monster would have access to quite a few great designers, Monster is verrrrrrrry entrenched in high end audio circles). The choice to go with a passive front end on this integrated also seems to be logical since this unit doesn't have to deal with the major impedance issues due to it's direct connection (IMHO this is a huge downfall of other passive pre-amps and their associated interconnects).

But.....as I stated before, it all comes down to how good does it sound? I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone on this forum takes the 60 day money back guarantee offer and gives us all a report. I will say that there has yet to be an integrated that I would recommend over separates. It's soooo logical to go this route.

The savings an integrated offers over identical sounding separates could be quite substantial IMHO. More importantly the potential for creating an even better sounding unit than separates exists too! Why no manufacturer has managed to achieve this is beyond me. Profits Perhaps? Most companies that make good amps also have pre-amps to sell. What if their integrated offering trounced their more expensive separates? I just can't figure out why an unbelievable integrated design hasn't surfaced yet. Theoretically, it's just a matter of time. On second thought, I may be wrong! The development of a "superior to separates" integrated amplifier could have been developed at least 10 years ago IMHO.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:38 pm »
I agree it does look like an interesting integrated.  One that if I was in the market for an integrated might consider myself.

Hantra

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2003, 07:28 pm »
Woah, if they are in Charlotte, we should at least be able to get one for the NC people to check out. . .

B

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2003, 07:31 pm »
True, but how many people have a pream and amp from the same company.  I think the reason integrateds don't do as well as seperates (besides the whole seperation of parts for better sound) is that an integrated locks you in to a certain "sound" that is designed in by the manufacturer, wheras seperates give more flexibility to contouring the final sound to the end users particular preference.

audiojerry

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2003, 08:39 pm »
ehider, you seem like an influential guy with lots of credibility.  :wink: Why don't you contact the owner/designer of Portal, and suggest he provide a demo unit that Audiocircle members can review and provide feedback on. Convince him that it's a good business idea that could result in increased exposure and increased sales. :-)

One other point: This unit does NOT have a remote!

G-7

Haw does it stand against A300S?
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:57 pm »
Hmmmm, not bad. Very nice amplifier.
What do you say about A300S from BVaudio?
http://www.bvaudio.com
 based on the sound I heard so far, even famous Halcro isn't more accurate........ no, I haven't heard Halcro yet, but compared to Krell KAV- 300i or MarkLevinson 383 the A300S is a winner.
must hear it, no joke

Hantra

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2003, 11:57 pm »
Dude, how can you say "even famous Halcro isn't more accurate", when you have not heard the Halcro?  

Just wondering.  

I have heard the Halcros, and the day I heard them, they were running some Quad 989's.  That was the best sound I have heard in my life!  I thought it was the Quads b/c that's the only time I had heard Quads, but then a dealer told me that I was hearing the amps.  Not the Quads.  That was what was so impressive.

I haven't been back though.  Who wants to fall in love with a 30K+ pair of amps?

B