Building a set of O-3's

bryede

Re: Building a set of O-3's
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2007, 12:29 am »
Well, I went back and used liquid electrical tape rather than try to put heat shrink on everything.

That will work just fine.

It all looks real good too.

Thanks! They're currently hooked up for a test:

I can tell you that they sound a bit like electrostatics in the highs. They immediately reminded me of a pair of Acoustats I used to want. The other thing is I'm not used to being punched in the chest by 5.25 woofers. I'm getting what seems to be a lot of fatness on vocals, so I'm messing with placement a bit, but I don't have a terribly big room. It'll be interesting to see how much they change as they break in.

-Bry

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2007, 12:39 am »
Yea, I'd pull them in at least a foot from those side walls and when you can I'd work on some tube traps or something for those corners and something for those side walls.

Next is to burn them in for 40 or 50 hours.

After that if the vocals are still a little heavy then knock the 39uF cap out of the circuit in that cap bundle and see what it sounds like to you.

santafefrank

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2007, 02:31 pm »
Bry,

Any further impressions now that you've had them breaking in for a while? Did you decide to try the crossover adjustment?

My kit is on order and I've started to prep the wood. I am excited to give them a try.

Frank

bryede

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2007, 07:02 pm »
At this point I feel they are a bad match for my room and ability to change it.

-Bry

santafefrank

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2007, 05:05 am »
Danny, do you have any suggestions on how to hook up the cap assembly to facilitate easy removal and insertion of caps without cutting and resoldering leads?

Thanks for any ideas,
Frank.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2007, 05:10 am »
It will require unsoldering and then if needed, resoldering the leads.

See pics on page two.