I have a Behringer DEQ2496 - How do I use it?

pugs

I have a Behringer DEQ2496 - How do I use it?
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:54 pm »
I'm going to hook up a Behringer DEQ2496 In the following way:  SB3---->Behringer---->DAC.  I have my Radio Shack SPL meter, a mic, some test tones.  Now what?  Do I just play the test tones, write down the readings from the SPL meter, and make adjustments using the parametric EQ?  Thanks

warnerwh

Re: I have a Behringer DEQ2496 - How do I use it?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:49 pm »
There's also a graphic equalizer. When you can use the graphic you should rather than use up the parametric.

The piece also has a built in auto eq. You need to set a room curve. Here's a good link:http://www.prijsindex.net/tmp/room%20acoustics%20and%20eq.html

The piece does have a steep learning curve but if you don't have the manual you can download the pdf at Behringer's site.

After letting it do it's thing with autoeq which only uses the graphic equalizer you need to use the parametric equalizer and adjust by ear. This final bit of tweaking is very important. Also wherever it sets the graphic equalizer to boos more than a couple of db I'd bring down. This way you're mostly cutting the peaks and not working your speakers/amp so hard.

dwc

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:44 pm »
The DEQ has it's own test tones built in.  You need to plug in the mic (hopefully it is a good one) and then go into the "RTA" section of the DEQ and follow along.  You set the "target curve" and then the DEQ does the rest.  It plays the tone (actually it is pink noise) and adjusts it's own eq while doing it to get to your target curve.  You stop the process (and save the resulting eg settings) when you think the process has gone on long enough.

When you get good at it, you can do it in stereo, with one RTA run-through for each speaker.

If you don't have a manual, i think you can get pdf from the Behringer site. 

-Dan

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2006, 09:32 am »
Here's another good link:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16568

Don't expect perfection overnight. Patience is needed but if you have that, you will be amply rewarded.

Good Luck.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:13 am »
Not the same unit, but maybe it will get you to other sources that help:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

pugs

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:39 pm »
Great link.  Thanks!  I haven't had time to fool around with it yet.

Here's another good link:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16568

Don't expect perfection overnight. Patience is needed but if you have that, you will be amply rewarded.

Good Luck.

pugs

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2006, 04:00 pm »
I gave it my first try using the directions from the link above.  I'm not sure if I like the results yet.  The overall sound is a little more dull but.  I made all of my adjustments using the GEQ per the directions.  Should I be using the PEQ instead?  Should I auto EQ first with the GEQ then made further adjustments with the PEQ?

pugs

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 08:09 pm »
I got to mess around with it for a few hours today.  I tried various sets of instructions including a PM I received, the instructions from the link above, and instructions that were sent by the previous owner.  Using the method from the PM the sound was kind of thin and a little bright.  Using the method from the link above, the sound was too warm, muffled, and dull.  Using the method from the instructions that were sent by the previous owner, the sound was just right.

Instead of setting a flat target curve, running auto EQ independently for the left and right channels, and making my musical curve afterwards, I set my target curve (which was my "musical curve")  suggested in the instructions and ran auto EQ in stereo link.  The auto EQ did a good job coming close to my target curve.  The sound is rich, balanced, and pleasant sounding.  It still has nice crispness and punch to it.

Overall, the Behringer may be the best $200 I have spent in audio (the Ack! I just bought is up there too).  It's amazing how many features are packed into it.

jam2001

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2007, 05:46 pm »
Pugs,

I know it's been a long time, but if you can remember, what is it that you were trying to overcome by adding the DEQ?  And are you still using the Behringer DEQ2496?

Thanks,