New Power Supply for SqueezeBox from Welborne Labs

NewBuyer

New Power Supply for SqueezeBox from Welborne Labs
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2007, 07:30 am »
...I am still having some problems getting the correct screws to fit the case. Ron sent me some replacement screws, but they had the same problem as the ones that came with the kit...

Thanks for the info Wayne! :)
Do you think the mismatched screws, is just a "bad-luck" flaw of the one particular case you received, or is this mismatch happening with all such Welborne supplies? Also please, does that Welborne supply make any buzz/hum whatsoever from its internals, even with ear to the unit? :?:

TONEPUB

Re: New Power Supply for SqueezeBox from Welborne Labs
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2007, 08:32 am »
Hi Wayne:

Really intrigued with all I've been hearing about your SB mods.  Building the Welborne
kit for an article and was wondering if we might talk you out of one of your modded
SB's for review sometime....

Great thread here, good info!

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:15 pm »
When I place my ear direct on the unit (bone conduction) I can "hear" a hum. If my ear is not touching it, I cannot hear anything.

In talking to Ron about the screws, he states that he hasn't heard of any other problems, but that maybe the case manufacturer has some tolerance issues. The bottom center rail in the case holds the screw threads, but the other four are so loose the screw just slides out.

Ron is going to send me some metric screws the next size larger to see if that will take care of the problem.

The Welborne does use a brand new split core transformer. It will be quieter than most surplus supplies. I once tried a Hosfelt sourced surplus power brick. It hummed so loud that I could easily hear it 10 feet away with music playing.

All of the ELPAC supplies I have tried so far have been completely quiet.

I did get some WM220-1 in for mods yesterday. I will see if I can hold onto on for a week or two and compare it to all the rest of the PS I have here.

BTW I do damp the case of the Ultimate and use a VERY quiet transformer. No noise at all in that one. :wink:

TONEPUB,

I do not stock modded SBs. Each one belongs to a customer and is modded to order.

Please contact me through PM or E-mail and I will see if I can send you my personal SB 2 sometime.

I might be able to get you an Ultimate PS MK II to demo, when the GAS boys are done with it.

TONEPUB

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:39 pm »
HI Wayne:

Will do. I would like to explore what you are doing and expose you to our
readers, I think they would really enjoy it!  I know I've really been enjoying
my SB a lot more than I thought I would.

Nick77

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:53 am »
Wayne any update on this project?

Wayne1

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:19 am »
The Welborne Power Supply is continuing to improve.

Ron got in touch with me last week about the case screws. He received some larger metric screws, but said they were TOO large to fit the channels in the case. He has offered to machine out the channels in my case so the larger screw will fit.

I will try to get together with him at his place sometime this week to get the work done.

Overall, I have nothing but good things to say about his kit.

If you do not feel threatened by soldering, the Welborne PS is a very good deal for what it offers.

It does NOT sound as good as the Ultimate, IMHO  :lol: but it DOES sound a lot better than the stock PS and it does sound better than the ELPAC wall wart, stock or modded.

The jury is still out on the ELPAC power brick vs the Welborne.

jaywills

« Reply #26 on: 1 Mar 2007, 01:05 pm »
My 2 cents for a FYI:

I ordered the kit January 24, 2007.  Web site says orders in stock shipped in two days (shown "in stock").  It's now well over a month later and I've received nothing from Welborne despite my having paid for the kit upon order.  I've had only two intelligible e.mails from Ron.  He first said he was having to rework the design and the kit would ship "next week" three weeks ago.  I next heard (in response to my inquiries) it would be shipped "next Wednesday" i.e Wednesday a week ago.  Have heard nothing from him since, despite my inquiries.  Have requested a refund.  No response.  Opened a Paypal dispute this morning.

Just a FYI, of course YMMV.  Still in limbo at my end, though.  BTW, I'm "jaywills" at Audiogon.  My feedback speaks for itself.  Cordially,

KCM

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2007, 04:31 pm »
Same here; after not receiving the power supply or any explanation for delay I started emailing.  First I got a promise it would ship March 5. After waiting a week it became obvious it did not.  Another email netted a automated response with no follow up from Welborne.  A third attempt resulted in a promise that it would ship Feb. 23 and tracking info would be forwarded.  Another lie............I've given up, cancelled my order and filed a dispute with CC company.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 5 Mar 2007, 05:11 pm »
There is a thread over at the AA SET Asylum that discusses this issue.http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/49649.html

spacedghost

« Reply #29 on: 5 Mar 2007, 05:58 pm »
I am in a similar situation. :scratch:
However I was told (after many emails) that my PS was shipped on Friday March 1st.  Since I am local I should receive it today, tomorrow at the latest.  I hope this works out, I really don't want to go through the hassle of canceling.

Shaun

TomW16

« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:41 pm »
I am also waiting on parts from Welborne that were ordered in early January 2007.  After a lengthy wait I received some wrong parts and the RCA jacks were back ordered.  I returned the wrong parts and hope that the correct parts are shipped soon but no word from Welborne on when they should be coming.   :cry:

Tom

F-100

« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:46 pm »
Wow!! They are fast at taking your money and leave you behind with lousy service. I was going to order some parts from them but now look like I'll stay away for sure.

Wayne1

« Reply #32 on: 5 Mar 2007, 07:03 pm »
I am not sure why Welborne is having trouble supplying parts, but the power supply board should be redesigned.

I mentioned in my first description of it that there are a couple of resistors that had to be mounted on the bottom side of the board. This causes one of the leads to come up very close to the heatsink for the regulator. The directions suggest putting a piece of tape over the holethrough for insulation. Depending on how well you trim the lead and how much tape you put on, this "could" be a failure point down the road. If the lead does wear through the tape and touch the heatsink, the output voltage would change from 5 VDC to 8 VDC. This would not be a good thing for your Squeeze Box.

Another problem with the resistors under the board, is that they happen to be positioned directly over the bottom, center rail of the case. The PS caps are fairly large and fit very tightly to the top of the case. There is a possibility that the enamel coating on the bottom resistor can wear away if you slide the board in and out of the case a few times. This will also cause a bit of a problem with the output voltage.

I do hope Ron gets these issues ironed out and can start supplying new boards and kits. The power supply DOES sound good.

spacedghost

« Reply #33 on: 5 Mar 2007, 07:19 pm »
Wayne

Thanks for the heads up on these possible issues.  I will keep this in mind when assembling the PS.

Shaun

Ferdi

« Reply #34 on: 5 Mar 2007, 07:52 pm »
Hi, I have ordered a generic powersupply from Welborne before this complete kit was available. I have had 0 issues with either selection, purchasing, delivery or the product. I have the impression that whatever the problem is, it should be temporary and easily fixed.

.....Ron still needs to do that of course.

fajimr

« Reply #35 on: 5 Mar 2007, 08:49 pm »
Wow!! They are fast at taking your money and leave you behind with lousy service. I was going to order some parts from them but now look like I'll stay away for sure.

I had the same experience.  Finally e-mailed them and got a response later saying it was shipped... but it did take longer than expected.  I'd buy from them again but only if necessary and then give myself double the time to get the products.

jim

spacedghost

« Reply #36 on: 7 Mar 2007, 03:48 am »
I received my Welborne Labs PS today..

I will have to make some time at work to assemble this thing... :wink:

Shaun

jaywills

« Reply #37 on: 7 Mar 2007, 12:11 pm »
An update, in the interrest of fairness.  Received the kit yesterday, 3/6, well packed & parts segregated and identified nicely.  A shame Welborne's "customer service" is what it is.  Cordially,

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #38 on: 7 Mar 2007, 12:29 pm »
Sounds to me like growing pains coupled with the typical issues surrounding any new product.  Now granted, sounds like communication could be better.

Bryan

TomW16

« Reply #39 on: 9 Mar 2007, 11:00 pm »
As a follow up to my earlier post, Welborne Labs has increased the communication with me and has informed me that the backordered parts from my order will be shipped on Monday.   :D

Based on the Welborne webpage and the "Good News Bad News Sale", it appears that Welborne is addressing the order backlog so that customer service will be improved.  A little more patience until March 12th may resolve most people's issues.

Take care,

Tom