December news

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
December news
« on: 12 Dec 2006, 10:50 pm »
December news - and a used CD-1 for sale!

http://www.norh.com/news.html

shep

Re: December news
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:10 pm »
Thanks! I had lost this link/reference. Really interesting what goes on there at nOrh. I would like to know if anyone has heard the CD player for sale and the amps they make.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:18 pm »
I have a nOrh system with the CD-1 all the way to the Marble 9.0s.

I am tempted by this CD-1 myself, it is in demand since it is so nice and is discontinued.

Here is a review

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/norhcd1_e.html

The CD-1 was made by the factory that made the similar expensive California Audio Labs cdp.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:51 am »
I'm curious about the LeAmp 3.  For the newer guys, nOrh's LA2 was a debacle.  It seemed like the idea was good, but the product was delayed time and time again.  When it finally shipped it seemed to have Q/C problems.  Hopefully Mike & Co have learned from this and done it up right this time.  I like the form factor and look.  Wish it was a monobloc, though.

I also heard the rumor that real marble was coming back.  Wonder if it's true?

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2006, 01:57 pm »
I like the form factor and look.  Wish it was a monobloc, though.

It is a monoblock. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2006, 08:45 pm »
Rob, if you can actually get a pair it will be a marvel. I tried for 3 months after alledgedly being placed on the pre-order list at a lower price. I finally gave up and went another direction. They do look very interesting at that price. MBarnes says they are based on the old Threshold Stasis circuit.

shep

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:01 pm »
thanks for that link. I was/am very tempted by the cdp, assuming it's still for sale. But I just broke the bank with new speakers, cable and a t-amp. The last time I bought a cdp, from nxt. door (England), it arrived with a dent and serious problems. I shudder to think what condition it would be in coming from Thailand. Stuff of dreams...probably a wonderful player too. Can't have it all, right? The amps look very interesting. MAybe someone, someday will get a pair and report.

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:56 pm »
Norh's packaging is first class.  I wouldn't let shipping worry you.
I have ordered several things from them over the years and all arrived quickly and in one piece.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:20 pm »
Norh's packaging is first class.  I wouldn't let shipping worry you.
I have ordered several things from them over the years and all arrived quickly and in one piece.

Keep in mind this is a sale not by nOrh but by the webmaster. Hopefully he has the original CD-1 packaging, or he can get some from the nOrh factory. You would want to work out all terms with him personally. In other words this is a sale by a private individual, who is closely connected with nOrh.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2006, 08:16 am »
Ooops, didn't read carefully enough. :oops:  There was a day when I'd have wanted something like that but I'm more interested in tubes and tripaths now.

shep

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:21 am »
As my Marantz merrily mis-plays or spits like an angry jackal, I keep thinking about that player...can't afford the damn thing! Amps: you're right of course. As a proud owner of an as-yet-run in t-amp
(from Michael Mardis), I have no reason to complain (other than the seious power limitations). It's that damn itch!!! This is the most cunning, baffling and powerful hobby. "It's" never good enough and there's always something just around the corner that promises bliss. After 30+ years I should know better, but every time I read about someone's marvelous NEW... I get all damp and agitated and begin to wonder if I shouldn't sell the car and eat less and stop paying for the gym, therapy and taxes so I too can have...
oh woe!

shep

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:50 am »
I'd kind of like to buy this player but nobody answers my mail. In the event of such an unlikely event happening, I would really appreciate some suggestions for tube rolling. I've never owned anything with tubes in it and back in the dark ages when I did listen to CJ's and AR, nobody I knew who had them gave a thought to this or even knew you could change the sound of that gear this way.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2007, 12:32 am »
I finally got an email from Shaf that he had sold the CD-1. I assume he sold it to someone local (near Thailand) fairly quickly. I guess the electrons don't move as fast over there these days...

shep

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2007, 09:10 am »
I got the same reply. Easy come...pity, although there appear to have been some serious reliability problems so maybe it's for the best. Better the devil you know (and can fix)

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2007, 08:14 pm »
What reliability problems have you seen? I have had mine for about 4 years I think, with no issues. I think there were only 150 sold if I am not mistaken before the factory could not get the good transports, and norh didn't want to use the inferior transports.
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2007, 04:34 pm by jqp »

DTH

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2007, 11:43 pm »
FWIW I have used a CD-1 almost daily for 4-5 years with no problems whatsoever.