LS-6 Perspective from my week with them

arthurs

LS-6 Perspective from my week with them
« on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:41 am »
I've had the LS-6 prototypes in my room for a little over a week now and thought I would share my perspective on them.  First a bit about the room and system:

Room is 20x23x10 and has been decently treated with wall panels and Eighth Nerve Adapt seams. It is a pretty good room sonically, but could certainly use some bass traps (more to come on that)

System is as follows:
BPT 3.5 Signature Plus
Resolution Audio Opus21 with reference mods by Great Northern Sound
VAC Renaissance Signature MKII Pre
Moscode 401HR with stock tubes plus Mullard Blackburn 12AU7
Cables are Electra IC's from CDP to Pre -- TG Audio High Purity HSR IC's from pre to amp -- Shunyata Lyra SC's, and an assortment of Stealth and Acoustic Zen power cords
This all sits on Adona racks

Speakers are just over 9' apart, 7' from the back wall, and 13' from the listening position.  Also worth noting that even though the room is 23' long, there is another 7' that opens up into a good sized alcove behind the listening position, so plenty of room behind you when seated there, not 3' from the back wall as math might tell you based on the room dimension.
(pictures are posted in my Gallery here   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery )

My caveat to all this is these are just my opinions, based on my ears, listening with my system in my room.  I'm simply relating that and not saying anything is better or worse than any other thing, or would win a shootout, or kills anyone else's, etc.  I'm frankly weary of that aspect of this hobby.  Your mileage may vary of course....On to the speakers:

I won't get too deep into fit and finish because these are a prototype pair, but take a look at the pics, they are actually not bad for a proto and these are large speakers, 6' tall, weighing around 150lbs.  The finished models will not have the black baffle, it will be matched to the finish of the speaker.  They will be about an inch narrower than these, and the front corners will round into the sides (according to Danny)

Strengths - widest and deepest soundstage I've ever heard a pair of speakers produce.  Not exagerrated, just very expansive.  Extends outside the walls by feet, not inches, and everything is playing very deep behind the speakers.  Imaging is exceptional as well, players have their own defined space and there is room between notes so everything sounds very natural.  Holographic and very dimensional as to where instruments and voices are in the soundstage.  My friend Brian summed this up best while listening to them "I keep wanting to move the speakers because I'm afraid I'm missing something in the soundscape behind them"  Brian, forgive me if this is not an exact quote, but it's pretty close, and it's very accurate. 

Dyamics are really incredible, from the strike of a piano key, the snap of a drumstick or hand on a drum skin, shimmer of a cymbal, the pull of a resined bow on a string, everything is very lifelike and has great attack and decay.  The Drum Track on the Burmeister disc made my kids run upstairs to see what was happening, they thought we had real drums up there....A real stength of these.

The bass on the LS-6 is very deep, but taut and fast.  Easily into the mid/low 20's and very prodigious.  It's not bloated at all and expresses individual notes and tone very well.  In my room it really excites some nodes, so when my 9's come in I'll have to finish out bass traps for my room for sure.

Mids and highs are also done exceptionally well.  Seamless integration with the low end, hell across the entire spectrum for that matter.  Great extension without sounding grainy or harsh at all, voices and strings soar with silky beauty.  Smooth as all get out on material I know to be a bit tough to handle for many speakers I've heard, but somehow keeps the sparkle or magic in the mids and highs.

Am I gushing?  Yes I am, these speakers absolutely take you to another place and give you repeated moments of "back that up I want to hear that again" or "holy shit did you hear that?"  I have lost copious amounts of sleep in the last week because I just keep on listening, amazed at what I'm hearing in even recordings very familiar to me.  The few people who have come by to hear them have been very impressed and some quite shocked at how good the LS-6 sound, this is a very serious speaker....what they are asking for these will make you laugh once you've heard them.  I've been listening to speakers in the $15-20K range, and they have all been terrific, but I cannot for the life of me tell you what they have that the LS-6 do not, they're that kind of good.

Weaknesses -

You need a pretty good sized room to get the best out of these, so they won't be for everyone.  The low end will necessitate bass traps for me, but I needed to do that anyway.  The mid range and high end, while absolultely excellent, lack that last bit of texture or body that a dome speaker gives me, but it's only the very last bit.  I am at a loss to come up with much else by way of what the LS-6 doesn't do well.

Those who pre-ordered, well played you are in for a treat.  Those who may be looking for new speakers and have the room for these, run don't walk, they are that good.  As for me, I'm going to keep avoiding Danny and hope I can hang on to these until I can get my 9's... aa

I'm not much for reviewing gear online, but felt given the number of threads on these that I wanted to weigh in given how much I'm enjoying them.

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 03:53 am by arthurs »

arthurs

Re: LS-6 Perspective from my week with them
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:54 am »
Music used has been across the board from demo discs to classical, jazz to folk, classic rock to Blue Man Group...they play all types well....

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:44 am »
Thanks Caution for the review.

I have had a case of LS 6 itis as of late and appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

The only reason for the itis is the OB 5 is so shockingly good I wonder what extra goodness the LS would give.

Tonight I brought the speakers in fairly close, about 8' away from me, 12' apart, 5' off the back wall which has a 11' opening to a 13' deep dining room, and the soundstage was simply astounding. Starting from 2' behind the speakers to the back of the dining room, and beyond, is the soundtage. Talk about teleported to another dimension and space.  :drool:

The soundstage was so lifelike and real that it makes me think I should forget the LS 6 idea as they won't do as good nearfield.

Can you say what 15 to 20 grand speakers you have been listening to?

I would say the OB 5's easily fit into that category of sound and would think the LS 6 should be able to go beyond into the 40 grand range.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 03:10 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:48 am »
arthurs,

Thanks for your thoughts on the LS 6. Have you listen to the OB 5's or 7's?

I might have the opportunity to build some LS 9's for someone, with the caveat that I get to test drive them for a while. :thumb:

Cheers

brj

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2006, 05:00 am »
Quote from: arthurs
]My friend Brian summed this up best while listening to them "I keep wanting to move the speakers because I'm afraid I'm missing something in the soundscape behind them"  Brian, forgive me if this is not an exact quote, but it's pretty close, and it's very accurate.

That's pretty close.  What I was trying to express was that with good recordings, the sound stage is so deep behind the speakers and so wide outside them that they truly disappear... yet the speakers are so visually dominating due to their size that I kept experiencing something of a sensory disconnect.  It really was an odd feeling at times!

I would add that much of the soundstage width and depth is due to the modded Opus 21 - in my opinion.  This is based on a comparison against another exceptional transport/DAC combo in the rig using a different pair of speakers.  The modded Opus really does have one of the most attractive soundstages I've heard to date.  And, no, I'm not taking anything away from the LS-6's when I say this - they excel at accurately revealing what is fed to them and are the most dynamic speakers I've ever heard.

I'll try to add more later as time permits, but Art's current system is the best I've ever experienced.  He put a lot of work into making all of the parts work together, and he has succeeded admirably.  (Did I mention that he has a wonderfully tolerant wife that all but served in the local FedEx hub during the great gear demos of 2006? :) )  The LS-6s are a fantastic finish to such a stunning system.  As Art said, you have to have the room and bass traps for them, because they are far from diminutive, but if you do, they are absolutely worth an audition.

As a reference, the only other line array that I've heard was Danny's previous generation Alpha LS.  While I never heard them in a system/room of this caliber, I have no qualms in saying that I feel the LS-6s are significant step up.  I look forward to hearing the (even bigger) LS-9s with the bass traps installed!

Edit:  Art, you know I'm laughing about the fact that one of the most popular pics is the one looking up the front baffle, right?  :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:04 pm »
Speakers I've listened to are from Avalon, Escalante, Dynaudio, Vandersteen, Thiel, Genesis. Eggelston Works, and a few others.  All make excellent speakers, and I could be very happy owning several of the pairs I listened to, as I'm certain many people are and should be.  But as there are tradeoffs between almost any peice of gear, in some areas some may be a notch better than others, including the LS-6, but for overall performance the LS-6 is right at the top for me.  Add to that the ability to save $10K or better, or put it towards something else (analog rig here I come) and it's a no-brainer for me. 

I have heard the OB-7's a fair amount, I'm getting LS-9's.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 06:54 pm »
arthurs, I have been trying to decide if I need the 9'sor the 6's for my room (23'x15').  Can you tell us if the 6's would be enough in your room which is a LARGE room, or if you feel you really need the 9's?

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 07:12 pm »
I'll chime in to agree with Arthur's assesment.  I haven't had the extended listen that he has, but I had about a 3 hour session with the LS-6 while Danny still had the crossover hanging out the back on the floor.  I had heard the OB-7's earlier, thought they were excellent speakers, but didn't come away saying "Damn, I have got to get me some of those!".  After hearing the LS-6's, I started saving my money.   :drool:

srclose

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 07:58 pm »
Art,

Could you get good performance with the LS6 closer to the back wall, or did it require that much breathing room?

SRC

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2006, 08:12 pm »
Thanks for the posts Art and Brian.

I really, really, wish you guys were local so I could hear them.

George

arthurs

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:29 pm »
Art,

Could you get good performance with the LS6 closer to the back wall, or did it require that much breathing room?

SRC

I would think you can get good performance with them closer to the back wall but I am probably not the best person to answer this, Danny chime in here if you want, in my room to do that I would have to take some additional steps to control the bass nodes more effectively.  Give me a few weeks, I'm building several tube traps and can play around with placement more once I have those in.  That said, I will probably not move mine back much at all as I have the ability to put them deeper out into the room and prefer them there.....

arthurs

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:37 pm »
arthurs, I have been trying to decide if I need the 9'sor the 6's for my room (23'x15').  Can you tell us if the 6's would be enough in your room which is a LARGE room, or if you feel you really need the 9's?

The 6's are plenty, I'm interested in picking up some efficiency and a tad lower distortion by going with the 9's....not that the 6's lack in those areas...and those who know me will probably chime in about my predisposition to larger speakers...armchair psychologists, have at me... :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:37 pm »
Thanks for the posts Art and Brian.

I really, really, wish you guys were local so I could hear them.

George

Agreed George, you really just need to move here... :green:

95bcwh

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:38 pm »
Arthur,
  Where are you located? Can I pay you a visit?? :green:

Barry
Houston, TX

arthurs

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2006, 10:01 pm »
Fort Worth Barry, come on up.  Shoot me a pm and let's work it out....

alotaklipsch

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2006, 10:16 pm »
Arthurs, tanks fo da review, glads I order da LS9's in da piano rosewood :duh: :drool: :drool:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:37 pm »
Art, I'm in Plano (north of Dallas) I would also like to come and visit.  Let me know what you have going on, for this weekend I have Saturday open until four pm and Sunday until about seven pm.  All the best, Guy

arthurs

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2006, 12:02 am »
you have a pm Guy.

bluemike

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:34 am »
Thx Art for the review on the Ls 6

Would the Ls6 work in a room that's 12x18 ...Danny feel free to chime in  :dance:

I'm shopping for speakers and these look very appealing thus far

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:43 am »
I'll chime in to agree with Arthur's assesment.  I haven't had the extended listen that he has, but I had about a 3 hour session with the LS-6 while Danny still had the crossover hanging out the back on the floor.  I had heard the OB-7's earlier, thought they were excellent speakers, but didn't come away saying "Damn, I have got to get me some of those!".  After hearing the LS-6's, I started saving my money.   :drool:

Clark:

So what was about the LS 6 that turned your crank over the OB 7s?

What kind of music were you listening to and how loud?

Thanks for any input.

Rocket_Ronny