Not using the Membrane Power Switch

rabpaul

Not using the Membrane Power Switch
« on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:31 am »
Hi James,

I have switched the amp off (green leds go off) but when I switch on the main power switch on the Hydra, from which all components including the 4Bsst are connected to, amp switches on without me having to touch the membrane switch.

I would rather not use the membrane switch at all i.e switch everything on/off via the Hydra's switch.
Would this be OK?

Rgds
Rabin
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2006, 07:33 am by rabpaul »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Not using the Membrane Power Switch
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2006, 01:22 pm »
Hi James,

I have switched the amp off (green leds go off) but when I switch on the main power switch on the Hydra, from which all components including the 4Bsst are connected to, amp switches on without me having to touch the membrane switch.

I would rather not use the membrane switch at all i.e switch everything on/off via the Hydra's switch.
Would this be OK?

Rgds
Rabin

Hi Rabin,

No problem in leaving the amp on AUTO so it comes on with Hydra.

I would not recommend plugging the amp into the Hydra though for best performance. We recently tested a number of other 'power conditioners and filters' and agree with this link on the Hydra.
http://www.10audio.com:80/diy_power_conditioner.htm

james
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2006, 01:38 pm by James Tanner »

rabpaul

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:51 am »
Hi James,

The Power Up switch is actually on local, I will change it to auto tonight.
Yesterday I pushed the membrane switch only to have it shutdown and restart again. A second push shut it down. I am either too gentle or too rough. Anyway I am quite happy not to use it at all.

Now on the Hydra, the link mentioned is about building a DIY "Hydra".
Am I missing something here, why do you not recommed using the Hydra? It is after all a passive unit.

It will be at least another 6 months before I can consider adding a Torus or a APS PurePower. As you can see I keeping my options open and will decide on what's best for me. I do wish Torus would give a discount to Bryston owners as it make the decision to buy a Torus a lot easier.

Rgds
Rabin

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:00 pm »
Hi James,

The Power Up switch is actually on local, I will change it to auto tonight.
Yesterday I pushed the membrane switch only to have it shutdown and restart again. A second push shut it down. I am either too gentle or too rough. Anyway I am quite happy not to use it at all.

Now on the Hydra, the link mentioned is about building a DIY "Hydra".
Am I missing something here, why do you not recommed using the Hydra? It is after all a passive unit.

It will be at least another 6 months before I can consider adding a Torus or a APS PurePower. As you can see I keeping my options open and will decide on what's best for me. I do wish Torus would give a discount to Bryston owners as it make the decision to buy a Torus a lot easier.

Rgds
Rabin

Hi Rab,

I guess I should have said it differently. There is no harm in using the Hydra as a power bar but it will not provide a performance enhancement the way the Torus will.

james