2006 Stereophile Editor's Choice......

miklorsmith

Re: 2006 Stereophile Editor's Choice......
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:32 pm »
After reading the 6moons review on the Yamamoto A-08s, I ordered one, had it built (each by hand per order), had it delivered from Japan, and listened to it.  After having it a few weeks I saw Stereophile was planning a review.  When it came down, I trotted over to the local bookstore and picked it up.

Well, the review was actually on the earlier model A-08, without the "s" designation which I understand was a thorough revision.  This was 4 months after the 6moons review on the newer model.  Now, I understand the inherent limitations of monthly publication, but . . .  FWIW, I doubt the review would have been much different - the subjective thoughts would have been glowing and I doubt any SET amp ever built would pass their measurement gulag.

I wrote John Atkinson about it and he didn't write back.  I've sent probably a dozen e-mails to Srajan over the last few years and he's written back every single time.

To me, 6moons feels like a living, breathing work with a genuine focus on how to minimize one's costs in this hobby.  For that matter, Tone Audio and Affordable Audio do too.  I don't mind reviews of the expensive stuff, but Stereophile always couches them under the "well if you can't afford the good stuff" and "this would make a nice gift for a poor sister who listens to a boom box".

I also find reviews to take on added meaning when there is some system context you can share with the reviewers.  How many of us have read a Stereophile review and believed that if you could throw that $15,000 CDP into our rigs, we'd be hearing what they're hearing?

I simply think they're playing in the $200k + annual household income bracket and I'm not.  I shouldn't hold it against them, as they certainly do have their market - it just isn't mine.

Stereophile is like the luxury automobile dealership that won't admit that sometimes a Toyota really IS as good as an Infinity and OH, maybe even better.

nunhgrader

« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm »
Okay, I understand what Rob Babcock is explaining to me. I also understand taking issue with ignoring brands other than mainstream mfgs. But, isn't that what webzines like 6moons and Positive Feedback do? They fill in the missing blanks (along with instant feedback, gorgeous & numerous pictures, and excellent special features). One thing I would like to point out: alot of print zines also have a web site with their own growing forum which does include instant feedback. I read 'em all and all the different forums as well.

Started a list of these sites, forums etc. Check out this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34513.0

BTW, this place is cool. 8)
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 11:43 pm by nunhgrader »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:41 pm »
Nunhgrader
Very well said, I heartily agree!

Regarding the $200k households: I am intimately familiar w/ one that resides in San Francisco & they could actually use more money.  Of course a lot of it's lifestyle oriented, but $200k in certain areas doesn't go as far as it used to! :lol:  And considering the changes in Washington coming next year, I'd guess the $85k to $250k income bracket better brace itself for some big changes of the negative kind regarding taxes!  (This ain't a political rant, just a prediction.)

nunhgrader

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2006, 12:08 am »
If HP frequents AC he must surely be keeping on "the downlow." :lol:

He has got to check the forums out. I know when I want to find out from fellow audiophiles, fans, manufacturers, writers etc. I visit AudioCircle. Plus, I always learn something new.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:14 am »
Well, as a chef in South Dakota, I'm not gonna get a whif of $200,000. :lol:  So to me gear has to be affordable.  It's not that I'm not interested in $20k speakers (you know, the ones that Stereophile calls "budget speakers" :o), but that's out of my league.  Stuff like the Salk HT-3s or the Onix LS-9/6 are more in my price range.  I don't deny the expensive stuff is nice, but actual experience has taught me that a lot of expensive stuff is simply overpriced and underperforming.  Anyhow, what good is the perfect amp if it costs more than my house?  That's just stupid to me.

Of course, if I win the Powerball I'll be hobknobbin' with HP. :lol:

nunhgrader

« Reply #25 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:57 am »
Hey Rob Babcock,

Couldn't agree with you more. I was really turned off when I first ventured into audio because of the high prices of alotta gear. Now, I feel find with my extremely modest system. I got into tubes (amp) and love 'em and next up - diy projects. I wanna build a kit.

BTW, I dig the Onix LS-9/6 :) and anything over 2k (per component) will be out of my reach for my modest budget as well.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #26 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:57 pm »
Thanks to all of you who mentioned A$$A

Funny thing, in the past two weeks I've seen both the Squeezebox and the Sonos being used  for Christmas party setups.  The Sonos had the same problem I mentioned in my review regarding signal capture in one of the three rooms.  The Squeezebox did just fine.  I'll have to get one of the writers to do a review of it.

nunhgrader

« Reply #27 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:28 am »
Yeah, I'm loving your magazine Affordable$$Audio - thank you so much!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:47 am »
Ditto!  I love your mag, one of my new favorites. :)

Canyoneagle

« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:32 pm »
After spending years reading Stereophile (and other HiFi mags) and lusting after increasingly expensive rigs, I've found AC to be a breath of fresh air, and a dose of much needed groundedness.
I don't mean to diss the hi-end mags here, but I do agree that they carry the "snob appeal" brand of marketing, whereby you are subtly made to feel unworthy if you have to struggle to get an "affordable" $6k amplifier or "bang for buck" $20k speakers  :o

The funny thing is, that after carefully building my own "audiophile" system within my means, I would bring my reference music to the hifi shops for listening sessions with the gear that I had seen so gorgeously photographed on the pages of the mags.  Notwithstanding the pervasive arrogance of (the majority of) the staffers at the shops, I found the gear to be marginally (at best) better sounding (to my ears) than the system I had at home.
This helped break me from the ever-ratcheting process of gear lust.

Now, I am happier than a pig in sh*t with my Omega compact hemps, and look forward to my new iMod and (one day soon) my sig 30 or 70's.
All told, this new system is comfortably within the cost of one of the "budget" amplifiers, and I feel no desire to jump back on the endless gear quest. :duh:

I do occasionally poke around to the SP (and other) hi-end gear websites, and increasingly find myself just shaking my head thinking about how unfulfilled I felt sitting in those listening rooms years ago.

So, I'm sure that the "products of the year" are fantastically built, great sounding, aesthetically pleasing bits of gear, but my best guide to the system for ME is the size of the smile on my face (or the tears in my eyes) in a candlelit room as by body disappears for a while.  Thus far, AC Sixmoons, Positive Feedback, A$$A, etc. have been right on the money for my needs.   :thumb:

It's all about the MUSIC!

Warmly,
Michael

95bcwh

« Reply #30 on: 15 Dec 2006, 06:28 pm »
but actual experience has taught me that a lot of expensive stuff is simply overpriced and underperforming

Ditto, can't agree more!! :thumb: