Frank, have you ever tried expensive tubes...?

tonyptony

Frank, have you ever tried expensive tubes...?
« on: 9 Dec 2006, 12:45 am »
In the FetValve? I have to admit I am quite happy with the JJ Teslas you are using now. When I bought my FetValve from its original owner it had a pair of Ei 12AT7EGs in there, and I found the sound to be musical but just a bit too toobey for me.

I read a lot of info on the 12AT7, and it seems that many other 12AT7 based designs do exhibit (in some cases) significant sonic change with different tubes. Of course the ones that are better are always more expensive! :roll: So my questions are: is there something about the design of the FetValve that makes it less prone to sonic changes than other tube circuits? And have you had the opportunity to try some of these more expensive tubes to see if they make any significant improvement to how you think the FetValve should sound?

avahifi

Re: Frank, have you ever tried expensive tubes...?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2006, 12:44 pm »
In our Ultra and Fet Valve products, the vacuum tube is operating in an ideal environment, not loaded down by having to drive any significant load.  This improves the linearity of the tube by typically 10 dB over more conventional designs.  In addition, each half of each tube has its own independent isolated high speed, high voltage analog regulated power supply.  Power supply interaction is nil, and the supply impedance is very very low.  Our designs let them behave at their best.  This tends to minimize tube sound differences.  We don't care if the tube gets in trouble when loaded down (a major reason for many tubes sounding "different") because in these designs, they are never loaded down.

There will still be sonic differences between tube brands, but less than expected in other products.  My own listening tells me that old new stock Telefunken tubes are really nice, but very expensive and not possible to use in production.  The JJs are about as close as we can come at real world prices, and electronic design research here is done with the JJs in circuit as we don't want to optimize for unobtainable tube brands.

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

Re: Frank, have you ever tried expensive tubes...?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2006, 02:16 pm »
Thanks Frank!