300 SST or 5B ST

bobgenie

300 SST or 5B ST
« on: 4 Dec 2006, 04:34 pm »
Hi,

I'm going to use a 4B SST to drive my IB1S main speakers.  I was going to use a 300 SST to drive my CB6 centre but have an option on an older 5B ST which is a fair saving.  If I bridged the 5B do you think this will provide a good match with the 4B?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get the 300?

And thanks for your advice over on AVF Jethro - here I am  :D

Many thanks,

Bob

brucek

Re: 300 SST or 5B ST
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2006, 05:58 pm »
I use a 5BST for my center channel bridged to produce 467watts. The remaining 155watt channel provides power for my 6.1 back speaker. My mains are driven from a 4BST.

Sounds good to me.

brucek

bobgenie

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2006, 08:20 pm »
I am definitely erring on the side of the 5B ST due mainly to cost.  I have a second query which I need to sort out  :roll: I will be using a Meridian 568.2 processor and am going to use balanced interconnects.  I have some fairly good (home made  :D ) speaker cable and was going to get some fairly high quality interconnects around the 1 metre mark and have the speaker cable at 6 metres.  I've never used balanced before so would it be better to get a lesser quality 5/6 metre interconnect and use shorter speaker cable? 

bobgenie

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2006, 08:23 pm »
I use a 5BST for my center channel bridged to produce 467watts. The remaining 155watt channel provides power for my 6.1 back speaker. My mains are driven from a 4BST.

Sounds good to me.

brucek

Yes though I wouldn't be using the third channel I think it makes sense and saves me some money  :D  Then could always get my money back if/when I upgrade to a 6B SST which I wouldn't do if I bought the 300 SST new.

Cheers,

Bob

brucek

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2006, 09:49 pm »
have the speaker cable at 6 metres.  I've never used balanced before so would it be better to get a lesser quality 5/6 metre interconnect and use shorter speaker cable?
It's always smart to use the shortest speaker cable possible. I would go with the longer balanced interconnect. I use Brystons interconnects. They're well made and a reasonable price.

brucek