LS-6 and OB-7 speaker comparison...

gprro

Re: LS-6 and OB-7 speaker comparison...
« Reply #80 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:18 pm »
I think he's got some ultra mega OB-arrays in mind already, who needs WAF! :lol: write some coupons good for massage/foot rub etc and bargain with them.

Good speaker idea, but that's a whole new design. Hopefully the "tweaked" OB7/165 isn't much work.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #81 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:22 pm »
Hopefully the "tweaked" OB7/165 isn't much work.

It will happen! Think positive!  :o

Cheers

phoenix_rising

« Reply #82 on: 16 Dec 2006, 03:40 am »
Danny,

If one of to use the 165x for the sealed woofer section in the OB7, could you give a rough indication as to what the -3db point would be assuming .5 cu feet per speaker. I would also like to know whether this would mean that the OB7 would be capable of playing louder i.e. more dynamic headroom or is that limited by the open baffle section.

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #83 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:22 am »
could you give a rough indication as to what the -3db point would be assuming .5 cu feet per speaker.

65 to 70Hz.

I would also like to know whether this would mean that the OB7 would be capable of playing louder i.e. more dynamic headroom or is that limited by the open baffle section.

It would not play any louder, but would be a bit more effortless in the lower end with lower distortion and greater power handling.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #84 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:44 pm »
I'm gonna kill you guys for not thinking of this before I started mine.    :lol:

Hey, I'm a little pissed I didn't think of doing the OB 7 minus sub thing earlier myself! :duh:

You could aways add 2 additional M 130's to your OB 5's and have a very similar thing. :wink:

Cheers

Really?  Are you saying I could just add the two drivers to the same cabinet and wire them in parallel?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #85 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:16 pm »
Actually, the OB 5's use the M-130/16 (16ohm)for the lower section, while the OB 7 uses 4 M-130's (8ohm). So you'd have to get 4 M-130's and whatever crossover parts. I believe Danny said the crossovers are very similar. And then you're cooking. :thumb:

Cheers

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #86 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:17 am »
I think he's got some ultra mega OB-arrays in mind already, who needs WAF! :lol: write some coupons good for massage/foot rub etc and bargain with them.

Good speaker idea, but that's a whole new design. Hopefully the "tweaked" OB7/165 isn't much work.

There is more than WAF at play here for wanting a LS4 or OB7-LS4 cross:

1. Integration of drivers. I spoke with Arthur, thanks man, about the LS6's. He said Danny was over and they tried the LS's about 8' from the listening chair, and tried different distances until ending up at 13', which gave the most integrated sound. Well, 13' away is too far for my situation. I get a killer soundstage from the OB5's at 8' and 13' would not work well. With a LS4 I bet I could get things integrated well at the 8' mark.

2. HAF - Husband Acceptance Factor. I have lived with tall speakers like the Acoustat 1+1, 7'-8", and the Newform 645's, about 6' tall. My wife was  8) with it, but I am just more comfortable not living in the shadow of a sky scraper. I know I could get a 54' speaker to look fantastic, much easier than a tower like the LS6 or 9s. They would still look macho, and the business at 54", but pretty as well.

For Danny to mess with a LS4 would not be that hard since he could work with the LS6 enclosure. Just needs to do some soldering and stuffing.

I bet you that a LS4 would sell better than the LS6. Just look at how popular the VMPS 30's are. They are 48" tall.

Rocket_It's Christmas Danny-remember_Ronny
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2006, 12:47 am by Rocket_Ronny »

gprro

« Reply #87 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:42 am »
ahhh,

gotcha. Yeah sitting at 8ft might be a little close for big line arrays, not to mention having them tower over you. Someone had mentioned the weird feeling seeing the big arrays and trying to look around them as if they were blocking some of the performers on stage. The LS's must be great, if i had the extra 1G I'd probably get them.

robertwb

« Reply #88 on: 17 Dec 2006, 03:37 am »
I've been reading all the line array threads but I don't remember seeing what the sensitivity/ efficiency is for the LS6/9 ?

Robert

arthurs

« Reply #89 on: 17 Dec 2006, 03:46 am »
around 91 for the 6 and around 94 or 95 for the 9...

gprro

« Reply #90 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:45 am »
Holy Cow,

just took a look at the av123 forum. The X product line is expanding, I actually got a little slack jawed reading it...a four xbl woofer open baffle mtm.. :o... looks like someone had the idea already. It's a little different, and I think the OB series would still beat it due to premium x-over parts and the m130/BG neo's probably a better mtm, but still...Danny has been really busy..awesome stuff man..shocked a little.

Plus an open baffle x array..plus other big x series!

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=45a6a42fc6bc9ec0e73d9b3f92cf7b7c&threadid=17722

Danny Richie

« Reply #91 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:44 am »
I've been reading all the line array threads but I don't remember seeing what the sensitivity/ efficiency is for the LS6/9 ?

It is actually about 90db, but can be a little misleading. for a point source type speaker to equal the same output level at 4 meters then it would need to have 96db sensitivity.

just took a look at the av123 forum. The X product line is expanding, I actually got a little slack jawed reading it...a four xbl woofer open baffle mtm.. ... looks like someone had the idea already.

Actually we won't likely be able to use the XBL^ woofers in that model, but may do so in X-Otica.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #92 on: 19 Dec 2006, 02:47 am »
Ok, so I spoke with Danny today and he says that implementing the M-165 XBL^2 woofers into the hybrid OB 7 model is totally doable. :thumb: Just a little tweak to the crossover and that's it.

He'd feel better if he can measure the response after the crossover change, so we'll have to wait a little bit for that, but it's a go!  :thumb:

This should be killer !

Cheers

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #93 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:11 am »
Oh Lordy, that will be interesting!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #94 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:19 am »
Hank,

Sorry I haven't got back to you. With the holidays coming up, work has been really hectic, but I'll follow up with you.

How that project you've been working on with Danny?

Cheers

gprro

« Reply #95 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:29 am »
Ok, so I spoke with Danny today and he says that implementing the M-165 XBL^2 woofers into the hybrid OB 7 model is totally doable. :thumb: Just a little tweak to the crossover and that's it.

He'd feel better if he can measure the response after the crossover change, so we'll have to wait a little bit for that, but it's a go!  :thumb:

This should be killer !

Cheers

Awsome :guitar: :drums:, that's what i was waiting to hear. :hyper:

Thanks Danny.

Day, hopefully i can do some cabinets half as good as what you do.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #96 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:35 am »
That is great news. I'm really keen to know what that should perform like.

If you need any help or advice, just post on Danny's circle, we'll all help you out with advice.

Thanks for doing your homework and bringing the XBL^2 compatibilty thing into play into the OB 7 hybrid.

Bonus! :thumb:

Cheers

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #97 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:40 am »
Dayglow, no problem.  As Danny can attest, I am the SLOWEST amateur cabinet builder on the planet - took me about 3 months to build his original Alpha LS cabs.  I just did a cabinet for his M-165X woof and Al's (RAW Acoustics) custom ribbon tweeter, and that took me a month.  Man, I wish I were independently wealthy so I could make sawdust and Danish oil finish speaker cabs all day ;-)
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2006, 07:18 pm by Hank »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #98 on: 19 Dec 2006, 03:48 am »
Hank,

Hey, don't feel bad. Look what I do for a living, and I still had the OB 5 kit sitting in the box for a couple of months before I could get to it. That's bad!

Cheers

gprro

« Reply #99 on: 19 Dec 2006, 04:46 am »
That is great news. I'm really keen to know what that should perform like.

If you need any help or advice, just post on Danny's circle, we'll all help you out with advice.

Thanks for doing your homework and bringing the XBL^2 compatibilty thing into play into the OB 7 hybrid.

Bonus! :thumb:

Cheers

Thanks, my main worry is getting the x-overs done correctly/soldering. I've built a few speakers, mostly subs though. Veneering is new for me also. I usualy wrap with grillcloth like the def. techs. and use a wood top peice. I may do the front baffle in a really nice veneer, then paint the sides and back (havn't decided on the color) w/ a clear coat maybe. or wrap the side/back with a nice vinyl. Or maybe wrap the whole thing in carbon fiber with a dark tinted clear. That would be ultra high tech looking. Don't know if carbon fiber has some resonance down side?  We can start a new thread with pics. :thumb: