VDA•2 Update

CIAudio

VDA•2 Update
« on: 25 Nov 2006, 06:06 am »
We now have an update modification for VDA•2 which improves linearity and lowers the noise floor (makes this great DAC even better!).
The update is free for all existing owners (excluding shipping charges).
Units with serial number DC3645 and under are eligible for the update.
Please call or email us at info@ciaudio.com for further information.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2006, 02:46 pm by CIAudio »

HumanMedia

Re: VDA•2 Update
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2006, 11:20 pm »
And do all new units you sell have the '2.1' mod?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2006, 12:19 am »
And do all new units you sell have the '2.1' mod?

All current units (serial number DC3646 and later) have this upgrade.

Jeff_Z

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2006, 02:41 am »
I just had my VDA-2 upgraded and I have to say it is amazing.  :o I figured there would be a subtle change at best but I was surprised.  There seems to be more "black" or depth to the silence.  There also seems to be more overall depth of sound or in the sound stage presentation.  The overall tonal quality seems to be a  better.  The highs are cleaner and clearer and I  have more definition in the lower end as well.

Dusty, I know I thanked you on the phone but I want to thank you publicly for a great product, outstanding customer service and a no doubt in my mind great guy behind a great company.

Thanks

Jeff Zaret :D

CSI

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2006, 07:38 pm »
Let me add my 2 cents worth on the upgrade. I got mine back yesterday and heard almost exactly the same improvements that Jeff_Z did. I wasn't quite sure at first because I upgraded to the VAC-1 power supply at the same time and only listened briefly with the old PS before swapping in the VAC-1 so some of the improvements may be due to the PS. Maybe Dusty could comment on the sonic improvements of each?

I'd also like to say what a pleasure it is to deal with Dusty, Klaus Bunge, Bill O'Connell, Mike Dzurko and other "good guys" in this business. How many manufacturers would figure out a way to make a good product even better then contact their customers via e-mail and forum and offer the upgrade for free – as Dusty is doing with the VDA-2? In my experience, most other mfg. would either quietly slip the mod into his current production or, more likely, announce a “Mk II” version which, by the way, he would be happy to upgrade for you for a substantial fee. A cynic might say that he is calculating that the build up of goodwill is an inexpensive sales tool, but I think what we have here is just Dusty being Dusty – a guy who knows how to make things sound really good and who genuinely enjoys making his customers happy. How cool is that?
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2006, 01:04 am by CSI »

_gurthang_

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2006, 07:25 pm »
Hi Dusty,

I'm very interesting to buy you an VDA-2 unit, but withaout the VAC-1 in the meantime, because my system is not so good enough, so what kind of power supply can i use to replace it.

Thank you

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2006, 07:38 pm »
VDA-2 comes with a standard supply, VAC-1 can be added later if you want an upgrade.

_gurthang_

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2006, 07:51 pm »
VDA-2 comes with a standard supply, VAC-1 can be added later if you want an upgrade.

Thank you Dusty for your answer, that standard suppy is for 110 V, because here we use 220V@50Hz.

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2006, 08:26 pm »
Thank you Dusty for your answer, that standard suppy is for 110 V, because here we use 220V@50Hz.

You could either use a 220-115v stepdown transformer or find something locally.
The supply needs to be 14V AC output and a minimum of 500mA.

Nick V

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2006, 12:54 am »
I currently use a stock Denon DVD-3910 as the source for all of my audio/video pleasures. I was just wondering if there would be any benefit for cd playback in adding a vda-2 to my system?

The Denon sounds pretty decent especially in source direct mode, but I'm really looking to make improvements to my 2 channel playback.

Thanks

Nick

biz97

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2006, 01:12 am »
Nick,

I can't say for sure if it will make a difference in your setup, but I am using the VDA2 being fed from a Squeezebox 3.  While the squeezebox has solid dacs I can definitely notice the improvement in clarity, depth, and detail that the VDA2 brings.  Not only that but the support from Dusty was top notch.  I started out with the basic DAC and then upgraded the power supply.  I also sent my unit in for the update.  I can say that each change was worthwhile.  Hope this helps

CIAudio

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2006, 03:44 am »
I currently use a stock Denon DVD-3910 as the source for all of my audio/video pleasures. I was just wondering if there would be any benefit for cd playback in adding a vda-2 to my system?

VDA•2 should be an improvement over the stock Denon 3910. The Denon uses the cheaper PCM1796 followed by two dual opamp circuits, but is very good as far as mass market players go.
The VDA uses the PCM1794 which has twice the current output and a little better overall performance. The higher current allows us to use a single transistor class A/zero feedback output circuit instead of the four opamp stages (each opamp is equivalent to about 30 transistors).

Ron F.

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2006, 08:56 pm »
My first post on this forum...

Unless Dusty corrects me - I think my VDA-2 was the first one returned and upgraded!

Anyway, It turned out to be a dramatic improvement, as other people have already stated. I also find it to be a considerable improvement to the direct analog output of my SB3 device.

My experience with CI Audio and Dusty's customer support has left me with a desire to recommend his company wherever audio might be a topic for discussion.

Thanks,
Ron

Brad

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2006, 09:01 pm »
Hi Ron,

Welcome to AC!
Good to see another happy CI customer.   :)

CIAudio

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:34 pm »
My first post on this forum...

Unless Dusty corrects me - I think my VDA-2 was the first one returned and upgraded!

Anyway, It turned out to be a dramatic improvement, as other people have already stated. I also find it to be a considerable improvement to the direct analog output of my SB3 device.

My experience with CI Audio and Dusty's customer support has left me with a desire to recommend his company wherever audio might be a topic for discussion.

Yes Ron, You are officially VDA•2 mod #1
Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the kind words!

Ron F.

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2006, 08:35 pm »
Thank you Dusty!

mike.b

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2006, 07:50 am »
well you may be the first for the update but i got one hour service   :icon_lol:
i dropped my vda2 off with dusty after work today..did some shopping and errands and picked it up an hour later after he worked his magic in his garage.
after working all day in a wood shop the only difference i noticed with tired ears at first was the silence even with my amp loud. i have been listening to it for hours now and as i settle in at home i can hear the real improvements..more spacious and warmer tones. i got a vac 1 for it as well so i am not sure where the improvment comes from. 

HumanMedia

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2007, 07:04 am »
So what CD players and DACS is the VDA-2 comparable to?
Or better than?

CIAudio

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2007, 10:54 am »
Or better than?

You can put it up against anything you like...

We have customers who've preferred it to Electrocompaniet, Bel Canto, Benchmark etc., but it all comes down to personal preference and synergy with the rest of your system.

slbenz

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2007, 12:11 am »
Or better than?

I've tried it against the MSB LinkDACIII with upsampler option, DIYEDEN Great March, California Audio Labs, and the Benchmark DAC.  They all sound inferior to the VDA-2, VAC-1 combo that I have.  And my VDA-2 doesn't have the free upgrade as of yet.  I just sent it in to Dusty for the free upgrade and will report my findings later.  In the meantime, you can see my review of this combo on Epinions.com where I discuss in detail my comparisons of these various DACS.

Slbenz

http://www.epinions.com/content_256272928388