Here is an OB stunner.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Here is an OB stunner.
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:17 pm »
Interesting - are those MarkC's open baffles?  Did anyone play around with that balancing circuit etc?

Sorry I could not make it out that day, perhaps the next one, looks like fun was had!

Yes they are MarcC's. No we didn't play with the balancing circuit, but did get a kick out of folding the wings back and forth.

The get together was fantastic, you'll have to try and make it out next time.

Cheers

scorpion

« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:24 pm »
Well Daygloworange,

I have to be somewhat brute with you: No it's not about anything else than Baffle width.

Or.,oooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

/Erling

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2006, 07:35 pm by scorpion »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:32 pm »
Erling,

I don't think Dayglow understands the relationship between BSC and the baffle.  Keep in mind this OB 5 thing is a kit and comes with a very elaborate, sophisticated, complicated crossover with the parts equivalent of a space shuttle.

John

scorpion

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:51 pm »
Hey John,

Glad you answered. But infact I think that Danny has had the correct answer all the way
with his crossover. I just wanted to have his own comments here fore what's it worth.

/Erling

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2006, 12:29 am »
I don't think Dayglow understands the relationship between BSC and the baffle.

I think an elaboration would be nice.

Cheers

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:16 am »
But I do want to rise the question about the baffle width once more. If it is like you say Daygloworange, that Baffle step correction is included, I have no further questions............. 

Otherwise I think there might be a problem !  :scratch:

Since Danny hasn't replied yet, judging from the picture below I think it's safe to say there is plenty of BSC. :lol:  Among all that stuff I see at least 14 caps, 12 AC foil inductors, and what looks like 2 Erse Super Q's...  So much for simplicity. :rotflmao:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:30 am »
Since Danny hasn't replied yet, judging from the picture below I think it's safe to say there is plenty of BSC.   Among all that stuff I see at least 14 caps, 12 AC foil inductors, and what looks like 2 Erse Super Q's...  So much for simplicity.

But who's counting? :lol:

It is a three way design with parallel networks. As far as number of parts, as long as it's commensurate to them performing well, it's not unheard of.

Minimalism is a beautiful thing, but then so are DOHC, five valve per cylinder heads on a high performance engine..... :wink:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2006, 01:44 am by Daygloworange »

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2006, 02:15 am »
Since Danny hasn't replied yet, judging from the picture below I think it's safe to say there is plenty of BSC. :lol:  Among all that stuff I see at least 14 caps, 12 AC foil inductors, and what looks like 2 Erse Super Q's...  So much for simplicity. :rotflmao:

[/quote]

John: If you heard these OB 5's I think the parts count talk would end pretty quick. These are the most transparent speakers I have owned. They are seamless. Breathtaking. They just kill the B200. Really. I know you don't believe me. This is not hype. Just the truth as I hear it.

And they look great. I love just looking at them.

Rocket_Ronny

markC

« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2006, 02:58 am »
Yes, they were MarkC's open baffles at the meet. Not that I really care "Danny" :lol:, -Denny, but it's MarKC, not MarcC. French background perhaps?
I really enjoyed the meet and I'm sure more will show up at the next one given the enthusiasm of the crowd.
B200's and OB5's are indeed 2 Very different animals. The OB5's could be independant floorstanders while the B200's, IMO, need help in the bottom end. Depends on the recording and personal preference for the highs.
I would like to hear the OB5's again after adequate run in .

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:04 am »
Ronny's experience with the B200 is akin to sitting in Ferrari parked in a garage with the motor idling.  He hasn't taken a test drive nor driven it around the block at the speed limit for that matter and yet he feels compelled to comment as if he did…

In the few minutes he heard them, it was with an amp that was hopelessly inadequate which was clearly evidenced by the poorest driver control imaginable.  That amp was so bad it made the B200s look like they were having an epileptic seizure!  Loudspeakers should not shake, nor should they vibrate that much without generating some serious SPL.  Needless to say he dumped that amp shortly there after.  But that wasn't before he wrote a glowing review elsewhere about the latest flavor of the week.

John

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:16 am »
Yes, they were MarkC's open baffles at the meet. Not that I really care "Danny" , -Denny, but it's MarKC, not MarcC. French background perhaps?
I really enjoyed the meet and I'm sure more will show up at the next one given the enthusiasm of the crowd.

Hey MarkC,
Sorry man, I had quoted mcqsxr. Seeing as you two are friends, perhaps, you should let him know. :lol:

Thanks for bringing by your B200's. I'd really like to hear them again sometime. Yeah, it's silly to put the OB 5 next to the B200 and expect to discuss minute differences. It's apples and oranges. I have Danny's AV/3's which have the same mid-bass drivers as the OB 5, but that's a two way with a dome tweeter, the OB 5, a 3 way with the Neo 3. You can't expect them to sound the same.

Cheers

markC

« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:31 am »
Denny,
 If you check your quote, you'll see that mcgsxr's spelling is correct.
Perhaps we can get together for a sesssion some time with your speaks and my amps?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #32 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:50 am »
Oops! :duh:

Yeah, let's do that for sure.

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #33 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:56 am »
Ok, here's some more pics of my OB 5's.

Cheers

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #34 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:34 am »
I still hope that Danny will answer my question about the crossover ?

I am sorry. I thought that I had answered it over here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31630.50

Was there another question that I missed? Please restate your question and I will reply.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #35 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:43 am »
Ronny's experience with the B200 is akin to sitting in Ferrari parked in a garage with the motor idling.  He hasn't taken a test drive nor driven it around the block at the speed limit for that matter and yet he feels compelled to comment as if he did…

In the few minutes he heard them, it was with an amp that was hopelessly inadequate which was clearly evidenced by the poorest driver control imaginable.  That amp was so bad it made the B200s look like they were having an epileptic seizure!  Loudspeakers should not shake, nor should they vibrate that much without generating some serious SPL.  Needless to say he dumped that amp shortly there after.  But that wasn't before he wrote a glowing review elsewhere about the latest flavor of the week.

John

True, I did not hear the potential of the B200s, although it was much more than a few minutes of listening. I have always stated that.

The wings just killed the imaging. Did nice things for the bass though.

I fully expect the B200 to present a fantastic soundstage in a wingless baffle and driven by an amp that can control it.

Wings or no wings, I was able to grasp the basic sound of the B200's. While the baffle shape will change imaging and bass response, it is not going to affect the high frequency response of the driver, nor it's speed, transparency, etc.

The amp I had at the time was a great amp. John even thought so himself at the time. It was a flea powered guy. Many people have written glowing reviews about it as well, and deservedly so. It just does not have the dampening factor to control an open baffle speaker well. Worked great with the Hornshopp Wannabees. I didn't dump the amp, as if trash, not at all. I was having enough of the single driver speaker ride and knew I would want to venture back to the multi driver speaker world. Which meant I needed more that 3.5 watts. So I took a chance on McAlister and won.

Having said all that. The OB 5s are a full range speaker. Have a flat frequency response. Are way faster mid range on up than the B200s, are more detailed, and are very transparent. Just like Absolute Sound went ga ga over Danny's other speaker creation, the Epiphany's at http://www.epiphanyaudio.com/12-12.html , click the review button,calling them dimension doors into the music, so are the OB's. Danny even likes them better than the Epiphanies in some regards and give up nothing. Read the Absolute review article on Epiphny's site. I am not making this stuff up.

The B200's can not compete with the OB's bass, flat response,, detail, transparency, speed. or power handling. How many of those B200s did you blow up again?

Still, like I said before, anyone who has the B200s has one of the most musical single drivers around. They make great music. Nothing to be ashamed about at all.

Now be nice to me.

Rocket_don't shoot the messanger please_Ronny

scorpion

« Reply #36 on: 29 Nov 2006, 12:24 pm »
Danny,

Thanks for the answer. Quite elaborate. I had not observed the other thread.
I think I also learned some things from your answer which is a bit contrary to common thougth,
of letting the same driver take all the fundamental tones. But certainly well argued.

Is it that the Neo 3 is very special or should we take the argument to the more general level ?

I would also like to add that I am working on a very similar speaker myself. Two Peerless SDS 134 in a MTM configuration with a Chinese
band tweeter, open baffle. This tweeter will be crossed over 3000 - 3500 Hz, can't go lower. OB bass. Neo 3s might be an alternative.
I am building just for fun.

/Erling

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2006, 12:55 pm by scorpion »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:28 pm »
I think I also learned some things from your answer which is a bit contrary to common thougth, of letting the same driver take all the fundamental tones.

Maybe there is some fault with the "common" thought. Where do you think the fundamentals are? See the chart below:

But certainly well argued.

I didn't realize that you took my information as arguing. It was not my intent to argue. I was just giving you the information that you asked for.

Is it that the Neo 3 is very special or should we take the argument to the more general level ?

What are you talking about? Are you wanting to start an argument over optimal crossover points?

scorpion

« Reply #38 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:15 pm »
Danny,

Nice illustration of the fundamental tone range, I have heard people argue that only the 200 - 600 Hz range will determine how a speaker will sound. I certainly do not want to enter an argument as such. I was only a bit qurious how your argument did go.

About the Neo 3, I am sorry if you find my question offensive. That was not the meaning. I am just wanting to learn if you think the Neo 3 exceptional or if you think that we should crossover to tweeters as low as we can.

/Erling
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2006, 04:27 pm by scorpion »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:38 pm »
I didn't take your questions offensive at all. I thought that it was a good question. I just didn't think that there was any argument to be had.

All tweeters have there limits. It's a give and take. Lower can be better for several reasons but if the tweeter is playing too low there can be serious problems there as well. I would rather see a tweeter be 20db down or so by the time it hits its Fs. Some tweeters can be fudged a little more if the Fs is a small resonance bump and not a large resonance peak.

The Fs on the Neo 3 is in the 500 Hz range and it is such a small rise (usually only about a 1/10 of an ohm) that it is often hard to find. It is also non-reactive. It is a purely resistive load.

If you look at the crossover points of this OB-7 (just like the OB-5) you can see that the tweeters output is well down long before reaching the 500Hz range. I have crossed this tweeter as low as 1,500Hz with zero issues.

And yes, it is an exception tweeter.