Canare crimping\stripping tools - mandatory?

nathanm

« on: 30 Jun 2003, 05:09 pm »
Are the 85-110 dollar tools for Canare RCA plugs absolutely necessary or can you get away with using an equivalent RG6\RG59 type crimper or rotary stripper?  I mean, I appreciate a good dedicated, full-ass tool as much as anyone; but those prices kinda put the sting in the economy 'o DIY, ya know what I mean?  Sure, it might not be bad if you make cables for a living, though! Ha!

Kinda reminds me of inkjet printers - they give you the printer real cheap-like and then charge the moon for the ink.  Clevver marketing bastards ain't they?

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2003, 01:03 am »
If you want to use their connectors you almost have to use their crimping/stripping tools.  I've seen people do it with generic tools but the time necessary and frustration is more than I'd recommend.  This is the main reason our Bitstream digital cable isn't offered as a kit.  

For anything but digital cables though I'd prefer to use the Cardas connectors anyway.   They only require a soldering iron and something to heat the adhesive lined shrink to get a good termination.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2003, 02:47 am »
Thanks Kevin, I knew it was too good to be true. I guess I will give it a go anyway as I already have the generic tools. Heck, what would a project be without time and frustration? :mrgreen: