Adding Bias Panel Meters to a Super 70i

Revolvr

Adding Bias Panel Meters to a Super 70i
« on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:24 am »
Hi all,

I'm in need of a simple project and I am thinking of adding a couple of digital panel meters to the front of my Super 70i to measure the bias voltage.

There are plenty of inexpensive small digital panel meters around that I could get and build a custom housing for to fit in front of the front panel of the Dyna chassis.

Most operate off of 5 volts, so I am thinking of tapping the 305V main supply with a voltage divider followed by a simple 7805 regulated circuit. Another possibility would be to run the meters off a separate 9V battery.

Has anyone done something similar? Am I going to impact the audio quality by tapping off an internal supply?

TIA,

-- Dan

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Adding Bias Panel Meters to a Super 70i
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2006, 06:57 pm »
Actually a much more cost effective project for you would be to update that amplifier to an Ultimate 70.  The rebuild kit price is $449 and since it already is a Super 70i, much of the work is already done for you, simply build the new board, pull the old one, and reconnect all the wires.

If its the sound you are after, the meters won't help a whole lot, the U70 sure will.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine