Peridot upgrade

jono2channel

Peridot upgrade
« on: 13 Nov 2006, 03:38 am »
Seems like there are a lot of qualified opinions around here, so while I am asking questions....Can anyone tell me if it would be worth the money to ask Rick to change the 8" woofers in the Peridot to Excel woofers. I guess that it would be an RC4 without the sub. I would be stretching my budget a bit, but I can only do this once. I want to find out as much about this speaker as possible before I commit, but it seems wrong to ask Rick when I can get good answers here.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Peridot upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2006, 01:45 pm »
Seems like there are a lot of qualified opinions around here, so while I am asking questions....Can anyone tell me if it would be worth the money to ask Rick to change the 8" woofers in the Peridot to Excel woofers. I guess that it would be an RC4 without the sub. I would be stretching my budget a bit, but I can only do this once. I want to find out as much about this speaker as possible before I commit, but it seems wrong to ask Rick when I can get good answers here.

The woofers can easily be substituted; in fact, a few customers have built them this way. The reason I use the aluminum cone woofers in the Peridot design is that they have better bass extension than the magnesium cone woofers. That's why the RC4 adds a powered subwoofer to the Excel 8" woofers.

navin

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:38 am »
The woofers can easily be substituted; in fact, a few customers have built them this way. The reason I use the aluminum cone woofers in the Peridot design is that they have better bass extension than the magnesium cone woofers. That's why the RC4 adds a powered subwoofer to the Excel 8" woofers.

Rick,

You are going to laugh at this recipe but ....

Start with Peridot
Replace L22RN4X/P with CD22RN4X
Below lower CD22RN4X add SP22R
Divide cabinet into 2 equal halves (internally)
Tune upper CD22RN4X to SBB4
Tune lower CD22RN4X using SP22R

Does it make sense to use bass reflex tuning for one woofer and passive radiator for the other woofer?
I chose the CD22 over the L22 primarily because the CD22's pressed paper cone might match better with the SP22.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:09 pm »
Rick,

You are going to laugh at this recipe but ....

Start with Peridot
Replace L22RN4X/P with CD22RN4X
Below lower CD22RN4X add SP22R
Divide cabinet into 2 equal halves (internally)
Tune upper CD22RN4X to SBB4
Tune lower CD22RN4X using SP22R

Does it make sense to use bass reflex tuning for one woofer and passive radiator for the other woofer?
I chose the CD22 over the L22 primarily because the CD22's pressed paper cone might match better with the SP22.

That's an interesting idea :)

Actually I would prefer switching to a different woofer such as a SB Acoustics, Dayton, or Wavecor with an updated motor design.

navin

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:52 am »
That's an interesting idea :)

Actually I would prefer switching to a different woofer such as a SB Acoustics, Dayton, or Wavecor with an updated motor design.

Wavecor does not make a 8" woofer. They do make a 8" sub-woofer (SW223) so does Dayton (RSS210). Are you looking to replace the Seas woofer with a subwoofer? SB does.

Paul Kittenger has used SB's SB23 in his Sonatello speaker. I dont know if this woofer is significantly better than the L22 you are already using (esp as a 3 way). The other option is to consider smaller 7" woofers but given the Peridot does not have a subwoofer (like the RC4) this might limit the Peridot's SPL capability. Besides since the Peridot is a 3 way the woofer really only needs to be superb in the sub 300hz range.

I dont know much but maybe the Usher's 8136K might be an option. The Aurum Cantus AC200 requires too big a box for 2 to fit inside a Peridot and is also more expensive. What about Morel's 266? Just throwing ideas in the air.

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2012, 08:34 am »
SB23 needs about 60L to perform well. quite big for an 8"  :D

how about multiple 7"? like 4 x SB17 in modular boxes, or rick's own propietary 7" woofer, which i assume he compared with exodus anarchy and he prefers his own (prob can little bit bias  :icon_twisted: about it)

cheers
henry

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:33 pm »
Wavecor does not make a 8" woofer. They do make a 8" sub-woofer (SW223) so does Dayton (RSS210). Are you looking to replace the Seas woofer with a subwoofer? SB does.

Paul Kittenger has used SB's SB23 in his Sonatello speaker. I dont know if this woofer is significantly better than the L22 you are already using (esp as a 3 way). The other option is to consider smaller 7" woofers but given the Peridot does not have a subwoofer (like the RC4) this might limit the Peridot's SPL capability. Besides since the Peridot is a 3 way the woofer really only needs to be superb in the sub 300hz range.

I dont know much but maybe the Usher's 8136K might be an option. The Aurum Cantus AC200 requires too big a box for 2 to fit inside a Peridot and is also more expensive. What about Morel's 266? Just throwing ideas in the air.

Lots of flexibility here since the woofer's upper end bandwidth isn't much of a concern. You basically look for a pair that has sensitivity that matches the mid then decide what size box you can live with. 7" drivers can work well if you want a more narrow profile and more compact cabinet. I actually prefer the Illuminator 7" over many 8" drivers because of the detail and dynamics. Some 8's of course will go lower but they don't quite have the control and definition of the Illuminator.

navin

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:39 pm »
I actually prefer the Illuminator 7" over many 8" drivers because of the detail and dynamics.

I agree that as a 7" the Illuminator is up there with the best. But with the Peridot you are building a pair that must outperform the L22 in bass extention as well as offer equal or better detail and dynamics. The Illuminator does the later but not the former.

Also given Peridot's price point you cant go crazy with an Accuton 220 or something like that hence I believe that Usher's 8136K or Morel's 266 might be an option. Given that the Peridot is a 3 way using a something like a pair of Wavecor SW223 or RSS210 wont be the best option (in my opinion) unless you are going active (which changes the whole speaker to something more akin to a RC4 or Morel's Octave Signature floor stander).

If you listen to Morel's Octave Signature floor stander with the passive crossover and when it bi-amped with the AMP 250 it is a huge difference.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2012, 04:29 pm »
I agree that as a 7" the Illuminator is up there with the best. But with the Peridot you are building a pair that must outperform the L22 in bass extention as well as offer equal or better detail and dynamics. The Illuminator does the later but not the former.

Also given Peridot's price point you cant go crazy with an Accuton 220 or something like that hence I believe that Usher's 8136K or Morel's 266 might be an option. Given that the Peridot is a 3 way using a something like a pair of Wavecor SW223 or RSS210 wont be the best option (in my opinion) unless you are going active (which changes the whole speaker to something more akin to a RC4 or Morel's Octave Signature floor stander).

If you listen to Morel's Octave Signature floor stander with the passive crossover and when it bi-amped with the AMP 250 it is a huge difference.

The Wavecor or Dayton would be fine with a passive crossover.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2012, 04:35 pm »
SB23 needs about 60L to perform well. quite big for an 8"  :D

how about multiple 7"? like 4 x SB17 in modular boxes, or rick's own propietary 7" woofer, which i assume he compared with exodus anarchy and he prefers his own (prob can little bit bias  :icon_twisted: about it)

cheers
henry

The Anarchy is a good woofer but its' close relative has a lower inductance motor.  :thumb:

navin

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:54 pm »
The Anarchy is a good woofer but its' close relative has a lower inductance motor.  :thumb:

An array of 4 Selah 7" woofers! The Peridot will look like a Paradigm Signature S8 clone! LOL.

The Wavecor SW223 / Dayton RSS210  are not 8ohms, but 4 ohms. When we can wire 2 in series we double effective inductance and have an effective sensitivity of only 84db/2.83V or 1W@8ohms. Also given their Qts they are more inclined to sealed boxes (not a bad thing).

The Usher and Morel 266 have limited Xmax (about 5mm) but are about 89db/1W.

When it comes to 7" woofers the options are too many to mention (Wavecor - they make a 7" sub too, Dayton, Usher 89xx, Peerless SDX7, ....) but using Selah's own 7" makes a lot of sense but an array of 4 7"? Rick does this make sense? Also wouldn't we be sacrificing driver quality to meet the price point?

The Eton 8-472/32 or HiVi D8.8 are too expensive!  :(

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:55 am »
An array of 4 Selah 7" woofers! The Peridot will look like a Paradigm Signature S8 clone! LOL.

The Wavecor SW223 / Dayton RSS210  are not 8ohms, but 4 ohms. When we can wire 2 in series we double effective inductance and have an effective sensitivity of only 84db/2.83V or 1W@8ohms. Also given their Qts they are more inclined to sealed boxes (not a bad thing).

The Usher and Morel 266 have limited Xmax (about 5mm) but are about 89db/1W.

When it comes to 7" woofers the options are too many to mention (Wavecor - they make a 7" sub too, Dayton, Usher 89xx, Peerless SDX7, ....) but using Selah's own 7" makes a lot of sense but an array of 4 7"? Rick does this make sense? Also wouldn't we be sacrificing driver quality to meet the price point?

The Eton 8-472/32 or HiVi D8.8 are too expensive!  :(

All about tradeoffs :)

navin

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2012, 09:54 am »
All about tradeoffs :)

Absolutely. Part of the case I was trying to make was that the L22 used in the Peridot is still a tough woofer to beat given the application.

I think we will even today have a hard time finding a woofer that will improve on the bass extention and levels of the L22 while equalling it in detail and dynamics while keeping in mind Peridot's price point (lower than the RC4 and RC5). Maybe the earlier mentioned CD22RN can equal the L22RN/4X.

I think maybe we were expecting to update the design because it was 6 years.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2012, 02:32 pm by navin »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2012, 04:11 pm »
Absolutely. Part of the case I was trying to make was that the L22 used in the Peridot is still a tough woofer to beat given the application.

I think we will even today have a hard time finding a woofer that will improve on the baextensionion and levels of the L22 whiequalinging it in detail and dynamics while keeping in mind Peridot's price point (lower than the RC4 and RC5). Maybe the earlier mentioned CD22RN can equal the L22RN/4X.

I think maybe we were expecting to update the design because it was 6 years.

True, the Peridot still represents a good value and can hold its' own among more expensive speakers. One can make changes and spend more but there's always the law of diminishing return.

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2012, 04:28 pm »
for comparison,

i heard Dyn Temptation and Wilson Sasha on the exhibition.
both have similar room, they were across each other (exhibited by same importer).
i prefer dyn bass than the sasha by far.

it goes the same to phil jones's taste on producing great bass guitar speakers by using multiple 7" woofer.

cheers
henry

navin

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2012, 04:50 pm »
True, the Peridot still represents a good value and can hold its' own among more expensive speakers. One can make changes and spend more but there's always the law of diminishing return.

Are you suggesting that instead of "upgrading" the Peridot we should leave it as it is and those interested in an "upgraded" Peridot consider a whole new design?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:31 pm »
Are you suggesting that instead of "upgrading" the Peridot we should leave it as it is and those interested in an "upgraded" Peridot consider a whole new design?

The format stays the same (dual 8" 3-way) but just with a change in drivers. In essence it becomes a new design at a different price point. Still an excellent value.

navin

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:48 am »
The format stays the same (dual 8" 3-way) but just with a change in drivers. In essence it becomes a new design at a different price point. Still an excellent value.

Oh wow now you got me dreaming again....hmm...lets see....
RAAL 70-20
Accuton C90
ScanSpeak 22W/8851 or Eton 8-472 x 2

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2012, 07:29 am »
Oh wow now you got me dreaming again....hmm...lets see....
RAAL 70-20
Accuton C90
ScanSpeak 22W/8851 or Eton 8-472 x 2

That combination i bet wont be 5495. Like Rick said, is all about trade off, and budget is one them. So is better start with a budget.

navin

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2012, 03:28 pm »
That combination i bet wont be 5495. Like Rick said, is all about trade off, and budget is one them. So is better start with a budget.

Ofcourse...I was just dreaming... :D but yeah it would be fun....