Help with Pre/Pro or Receiver for ACI Sapphire XL mains & Force XL sub

innov8ion

Ok, I'm taking what I consider to be my first true foray into the audiophile-class A/v world and really appreciate your feedback.  I'm coming from NHT Super Two, Velodyne SPL1200 and Onkyo A-SV610PRO Receiver.  Where am I going? 

I just moved to a smallish loft, so space is at a premium and seating location isn't quite optimal.  I was looking for smallish mains that were accurate while sounding far from small.  Also, where placement wasn't as crucial as other speakers (such as Vandersteens) and soundstage was open or diffuse.  (I hope I'm describing this faithfully, I'm not an expert...)  Value was also critical.  After careful research, I've decided on a pair of ACI Sapphire XL speakers w/ matching Sound Anchor speaker stands and an ACI Force XL sub.  I got what I feel to be an excellent deal on them.

Now the problem; what receiver or pre/pro & amp will make my setup shine for approximately $1500 or less?  As for the amp, my needs are 2 channels that will faithfully power and match my Sapphire XL's well.  Keep in mind, these speakers aren't overly efficient at 85 db.  (A receiver could be 5 channel, but I'll only be using 2 of them...)   Primarily this will be for music, however I will want to connect other sources such as DVD Player, Satellite and D-Link DSM-320.  I don't want the setup to be a kluge; it should be elegant yet not overly sacrifice flexibility or quality.  I'd rather concentrate more on the amplifier than pre pro because I'd like the newer HDMI spec that may not be out in the market yet.

Amps I have looked at include NAD C272, Adcom GFA-5400 or 5500, pair of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, etc.  Also, a Dussun V-8i. Pre Pros I have looked at are the Outlaw 970 and NAD T163.  The NAD T175 is coming soon, which looks great (and over my budget, but I could be flexible in time....)  I think I'd like to match the amp/pre pro; but does it matter much?

Option 0 - Keep the Onkyo, 125 watt/channel receiver.  Switching interfaces are old (limited to component), but perhaps it could stave me off until HDMI 1.3 is in current pre/pros or receivers.

Option 1 - Quality Receiver.  It would provide less flexibility and quality perhaps, but save space and be a little cheaper.  Not fond of sacrificing flex & quality so much. Denon 3806?

Option 2 - 2 channel amp + Hi-Fi Pre/Pro.  Do I need a video switcher if I don't have a Home Theater Pre/Pro?  Do I miss out on video processing I may need?  Option 2 prob isn't smart. 

Option 3 - 2 channel amp + Home Theater Pre/Pro.  I think this might be the best option for me...

Option 4 & 5 - Integrated Amplifier to go with Option 2 or 3.  I have an opportunity for a non-grey-market Dussun V-8i integrated amplifier (Class A, 250x2) for $1000.  Granted, the thing weighs approx 93 pounds and is otherwise huge.  But the quality looks to be audiophile-class.

Thanks in advance for your great advice!
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2006, 05:19 pm by innov8ion »

Mike Dzurko

Congrats! You have purchased an amazing system that will provide many enjoyable hours of great listening . . .

There are so many ways you can go to power it, the option that strikes me first is the Dussan V8i integrated amp. Rick Gardner at Positive Feedback has greatly praised this combo as has Joe at Jamn' Audio and others. Based on hearing so many great things about this amp to power Sapphire Xls, we'd requested one for RMAF, shipping problems got in the way . . .  but I'd most seriously consider that option . . .

innov8ion

Mike, thanks!  This appears very much to be a small world.  Actually, I picked up the system from Joe as a demo and it should be shipping today.  I'm very excited to "see" how it sounds...  I just posted in the Gateway Audio Society on AudioCircle regarding this topic and acoustics for my loft, and guess who responded?  Bryan, the same guy who worked on your room in RMAF.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33441.0

The Odyssey Stratus was listed as a great amp to drive the Sapphires.  I'm sure there are many other excellent options although I'd like to keep an initial budget of around $1500 for an amp and preamp or pre/pro.  (Or just an integrated...)  But alas, I have to glean knowledge from audiophiles to help me decide what's right for me.  It appears, just as with life, there are tradeoffs in the A/V realm, which tends to complicate matters.  If this were for a dedicated listening room, the choice would be much easier.  However, it will be in my living room and be a part of tv and movie-watching as well.  Given that, the amp choice will be easier.  I still need to find what's right for me regarding preamp/integrated/pre-pro...

Thoughts
#1 - I require a remote control for any preamp or integrated.  (Not a complete purist yet!)
#2 - If I go with a hi-fi preamp/integrated, as opposed to HT pre/pro, I think I'll need some kind of video switcher which adds to the cost.  Given that, I think it'd be a more elegant solution to go with an HT pre/pro (was thinking Outlaw 970) but I presume I'm making tradeoffs in audio quality.  I just don't know how big that difference is.  I'll prob have to glean knowledge and do some auditioning.

I've read a lot about the Dussun V-8i and how well it works with the Sapphire XL's.  The V-8i may be a little more power than necessary to power them, but it'll be great I'm sure...  I'm leaning that direction.

Once again, I can't wait to hear your speakers in my home! 
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2006, 09:40 pm by innov8ion »

aaron_hinni

Another option you might want to look into is one of the Pioneer Elite AVRs like the 84txsi.  It is a receiver that can also function as a pre/pro.  You could try it out stand alone for a while and then add a different amp(s) later if you decide.  I haven't ordered my Sapphires yet, but that is my current plan.

And to add to your small world observation... Bryan is currently working on my room.

innov8ion

That's pretty cool, Bryan.  Ok, the Dussun V-8i is on its way from Joe!  I should have everything within the next couple days :)

Another option you might want to look into is one of the Pioneer Elite AVRs like the 84txsi.  It is a receiver that can also function as a pre/pro.  You could try it out stand alone for a while and then add a different amp(s) later if you decide.  I haven't ordered my Sapphires yet, but that is my current plan.

And to add to your small world observation... Bryan is currently working on my room.

Mike Dzurko

You're going to love the combination  :thumb:

Please DO return with your comments about the system . . .

innov8ion

You're going to love the combination  :thumb:

Please DO return with your comments about the system . . .
Everything is hooked up properly now.  I don't have time for a proper review and probably won't attempt this until after the design and implementation of the home theater is complete.  However, the setup sounds great to me; much more refined and musical than what I had previously.  I'm very happy and can personally attest that Mike built them with love.  Thanks to Mike for creating them and Joe of Jam'n Audio for the deal!

irvine

hi innov8
im not an aci owner.id recently purchased the arcam avr350.its 7 channels at 100 wpc.it has the capability of using the 6th and 7th channels for bi amping.im just running 5 channels.
i did hear my model reciever driving a pair of dali helicon 800s bi amped-the sound was incredible.
the avr350 is 2500 dollars,the avr300 is 1999.this reciever sounds better than every reciever ive listened to,even the 4000 dollar models.a pair of sapphires biamped i bet would sound pretty sweet.id also try rotel recievers..
im trying to save money for new speakers,ive never heard aci but their subs look pretty sweet.im interested in aci and tyler acoustics.
im not sure why aci is dropping several models of speakers and not having new replacements.i was intersted in their talisman powered towers but didnt have the money at the time.good luck on your reciver hunt.-irv

Mike Dzurko

hi innov8
im not an aci owner.id recently purchased the arcam avr350.its 7 channels at 100 wpc.it has the capability of using the 6th and 7th channels for bi amping.im just running 5 channels.
i did hear my model reciever driving a pair of dali helicon 800s bi amped-the sound was incredible.
the avr350 is 2500 dollars,the avr300 is 1999.this reciever sounds better than every reciever ive listened to,even the 4000 dollar models.a pair of sapphires biamped i bet would sound pretty sweet.id also try rotel recievers..
im trying to save money for new speakers,ive never heard aci but their subs look pretty sweet.im interested in aci and tyler acoustics.
im not sure why aci is dropping several models of speakers and not having new replacements.i was intersted in their talisman powered towers but didnt have the money at the time.good luck on your reciver hunt.-irv

Irv:

I agree, Arcam builds some fine electronics . . .  certainly worth consideration. What speakers do you have now? What are you looking to improve?

irv

hi mike
i didnt check the posts for a few days.
i have an old late 70s pair of speakerlab super 7s.the have a 12 and 10 inch woofer,horn midrange and tweeter.the woofers are quite worn but the midrange is still excellent.i could get them rebuilt but thats not what i want to do.the horn tweeter sounds great now with the arcam
avr350.
i have a psb sub,b25 rears and center channel.i like the sub but the other psb speakers arent that great.
any chance of having any of the talisman speakers left later next year,or a new model too look out for.
my budget wont allow any new speaker purchases till next year.im not suffering but would love to upgrade.
i bought the musical fidelity x boxes last year-the x ray cd player,dac,tubed buffer stage,power supply and the outboard phono pre amp.they all sound superb.i never new what the word soundstage meant until i heard these units,they also work great with the arcam unit.
i like your products,i hope hopefully can make a purchase some day.thanks-irv

Night_Train

Hi Irv.....I don't blame you for being interested in the talisman.

Hehehe....hopefully your interests aren't mainly for warding off any unsavory spirits now are they?

Mike Dzurko

hi mike
i didnt check the posts for a few days.
any chance of having any of the talisman speakers left later next year,or a new model too look out for.
my budget wont allow any new speaker purchases till next year.im not suffering but would love to upgrade.
i bought the musical fidelity x boxes last year-the x ray cd player,dac,tubed buffer stage,power supply and the outboard phono pre amp.they all sound superb.i never new what the word soundstage meant until i heard these units,they also work great with the arcam unit.
i like your products,i hope hopefully can make a purchase some day.thanks-irv

Irv:

The last Talismans were sold months ago, so the only way they're available would be if you can find a pair used . . . not easy to do. A year from now is too hard to say if we might have some additional models added. We're always modeling/prototyping, etc. but right now we're focusing strongly on trying to cut our lead times on the products we have which are selling so strongly.

irv

hi mike
thanks for being honest, i was afraid the talismen were gone.i need time to save some dough so ill check back now and then.thanks-irv

irv

hi night train
no nothing that interesting.i just want powered towers so i can get rid of the subwoofer so i can use the space.although it scares my neighbours.ive measured these old horn speakers at 118 decibils,the room didnt like it much.
id like something that sounds better at a lower volume!-irv