Resurrect "Shutterbug"?

JohnR

Resurrect "Shutterbug"?
« on: 11 Nov 2006, 11:08 am »
We had a photography forum a long time ago. It was archived from lack of activity.

I was wondering if there was enough interest to consider reviving it. If so, I could volunteer to facilitate it, or perhaps someone else with more spare time might. My personal interest is in older and film cameras.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear who else here might be interested in reviving the Shutterbug.

brj

Re: Resurrect "Shutterbug"?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2006, 09:00 pm »
I'd definitely follow a photography forum if it was resurrected.  It might be a little hard on gallery storage, however! :)

I've been using the same Nikon film camera my whole life, but after years of closely watching the advance of digital camera technology, I finally ordered my first digital SLR this week.  Of course, I'll be using my existing, mostly manual, lenses for a while since the new lens I want is backordered for 4 months....

jakepunk

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2006, 02:11 am »
+1.  I am going to join the digital SLR bandwagon soon.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2006, 03:08 am »
Hey!

Yup, I'm also into photography here. :D But the thing is that will there be enough interest here to keep the circle active?

This is mainly audio here. It will be like trying to start an audio section in photography site. :D

Also, if we do this. I can't wait til someone start a thread like "Nikon vs. Canon Vs. etc" :lol:

Oh! well, anyway... I'm in on this at least we could help inform our friends here about photography :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2006, 10:14 am »
Or "film vs digital"  :icon_lol:

Well, some interest... if I start a poll for it I'd like to suggest that the circle be more about taking photographs than about equipment. Maybe we can have a rule - no starting a thread unless there's a photograph in it (that you took yourself). And you have to say something about the photo as well. I think that would make the circle more interesting. (And avoid the endless "which compact P&S should I buy?" threads.)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:46 pm »
I'm casting my vote. I'd like to see something along the lines of what you're describing. :thumb:

Cheers

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:51 pm »
Or "film vs digital"  :icon_lol:

Well, some interest... if I start a poll for it I'd like to suggest that the circle be more about taking photographs than about equipment. Maybe we can have a rule - no starting a thread unless there's a photograph in it (that you took yourself). And you have to say something about the photo as well. I think that would make the circle more interesting. (And avoid the endless "which compact P&S should I buy?" threads.)

Hey!

Well, that's not a bad idea :D Although I have nothing againts something in a line of "which P&S should I buy?"

I think it is okay to talk about gears a bit. Well, I haven't been following much on the equipment side of the photography. So that could be helpful for some. As long as we don't caught in something like " K vs C vs M vs P vs S and so on.  :| Well, every system have advantage and disadvantage just use what work and feel right to you. :wink:

Hmmm... since we are talking about this. So, what happened to the old "Shutterbug Circle" Not enough activity? If so that could happen again to the new one.

Take care,

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:53 am »
So, what happened to the old "Shutterbug Circle" Not enough activity? If so that could happen again to the new one.
Yes indeed... that's why I asked about starting it up again, to see if there was enough interested (at the moment, it seems maybe not... :( )

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2006, 11:10 am »
Go ahead and bring it back.  We can always archive it again.

KJ

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:18 pm »
One more vote in favor.

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:59 pm »
I'm a professional photographer. I'd be happy to offer up advice if wanted. I've being doing Pshop since V2.5 Beta (before it had layers!) and am an Adobe Certified Trainer. But I'm old school too. I used to run a custom B/W lab service when I first got started in the business.

Say anyone want to buy a complete Hassleblad system or maybe a Sinar 8x10? How 'bout a Nikon F4?  aa

brj

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2006, 11:08 pm »
Quote from: drphoto
Say anyone want to buy a complete Hassleblad system or maybe a Sinar 8x10? How 'bout a Nikon F4?
Yikes!  That would make most of our audio systems look downright inexpensive!

A guy in my office goes hiking with his Hassleblad almost every weekend.  He couples the Has with a negative scanner, a Mac and a 36" wide printer and hangs poster sized prints all over the office area.... most impressive!

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2006, 11:25 pm »
Hey!

Yup, I'm also into photography here. :D But the thing is that will there be enough interest here to keep the circle active?

This is mainly audio here. It will be like trying to start an audio section in photography site. :D

Oh! well, anyway... I'm in on this at least we could help inform our friends here about photography :D

Take care,

Hey Buddy:

I think there are things in life that seem to go really well together.... Red meats and red wine, as well as cigars and cognac.  Weirdly, I have seen plenty of people who are into heavy Audio and also photography, and I do not mean no "stinking Digital snapshooting"< these are fighting words for some, but good old film photography.  I say I am also attracted to photography...although I do not have a single SLR anything.  I do have a couple of years old Rollei 35 zoom.  I need some help getting better shots from this camera.  I am also heavily interested in vintage Leicas.  One more hobby to suck my hard earned $$$ in.  GREAT :thumb:

One more for this circle to be resurrected.

Paul K

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2006, 12:38 am »
I have been into photography since the late 70's, but my audio roots started earlier...I haven't found a photo forum that made me want to visit again and again, unfortunately. I am more of the old school type as referenced above...35mm SLRs. My interest has sort of waned with the domination of the new digital medium.
I was into the whole shebang, had my own darkroom(still do but its boxed up the past 10yrs) and specialized in B&W. It took me a long while to even embrace auto-zoom technology :lol: I still got my issues of Darkroom magazine which went out of print some years ago.
If you folks do reopen the 'Shutterbug', I would check it out for sure. Who knows, maybe it will rekindle ones interest/zeal.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:28 am »
I'm a professional photographer. I'd be happy to offer up advice if wanted. I've being doing Pshop since V2.5 Beta (before it had layers!) and am an Adobe Certified Trainer. But I'm old school too. I used to run a custom B/W lab service when I first got started in the business.

Say anyone want to buy a complete Hassleblad system or maybe a Sinar 8x10? How 'bout a Nikon F4?  aa

Hey!

Well, with a screen name like that "drphoto" you better know a thing or two about photography :lol:

Good to know that you know Photoshop.... I might need some advice sometime on this. :D

Yes Bemopti123 photography and audio really go well together... they do share one big thing in comment.... they are or could be expensive. :lol:

Like you and mjosef.... I'm pretty much like traditional photography. Especially when it come to B&W.... there is nothing like sticking a roll of Tri-X in to my 35mm SLR or my Rolliecord and then develop it and print photos on a real B&W paper.... ahhhhhh love that smell of fixer on my fingers  :wink: :lol:

Still lately I've found myself using more and more of DSLR for work and my own stuff. Well, there advantage and disadvantage with both digital and film.

I haven't set up and use my darkroom since November 2005. :( Well, this is mostly due to lack of time and the other thing of which I now have to consider is the cost of B&W stuffs are going up too :cry: But! for something very important I still and willing to set up my darkroom for it. :D

Oh! talking about gears.... yeah, anyone looking for a nice set of minty Sinar F1 4x5 cam let me know aa

Anyway, photography will always be a part of my life.... I do wish I have more time for it.... and the bottom line is that it doesn't matter what camera... film or digital, what really matter is the picture. :D

Take care,

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2006, 02:33 am »
I just got back from a trip to Scottsdale, AZ for golf. A local paper showed there was a gallery/musuem in Tuscon that had the Richard Avedon "Faces of the American West" show. Man, I wish I had time to go see that. I have the book which is cool, but I've heard if you see the real prints, you'll be blown away. Life size...shot w/ an 8x10 camera.

What photographers do you guys like? Besides Avedon, I love the work of Irving Penn. Helen Levitt, Bill Brant, and of course, Ansel, there are so many.... I really like a relatively new guy named Matt Mahurin.

I agree w/ the idea that equipment doesn't matter.....it's only about ideas. I've seen great pictures taken w/ plastic lens cameras.

btw: after spending 2 years, working 16 hour/day in my lab........I do not miss the smell of fixer anymore. The computer is the ultimate darkroom. At least for me......others may disagree.....

brj

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2006, 02:44 am »
What photographers do you guys like?
After a week of hiking out West, a friend and I were walking off a large dinner and almost by accident wandered into Michael Fatali's gallery.  I really liked what I saw and would love to own some of his prints.

Ansel is high on my list too.

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:11 am »
BRJ,

Thanks for that link. That guy's stuff is really cool.

Here's a link to one of my protege's. His stuff is mostly commericial, not art type work, but I think this kid is really good.

chadress.com

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:12 am »
+1.  I am going to join the digital SLR bandwagon soon.

I just did....

brj

« Reply #19 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:51 am »
Thanks for that link. That guy's stuff is really cool.

No problem!  I was really impressed with his prints in person, but he also shoots my kind of scenery.  His big claim to fame is "the light".  He'll wait for days at a location to get the light correct.  This, coupled with the specific chemicals he uses for development, produce incredibly vivid images.  Of course, at $4500 for a 30x40 unframed original print, I'm not going to be buying any in the near future!

Here's a link to one of my protege's. His stuff is mostly commericial, not art type work, but I think this kid is really good.

chadress.com

I agree!  Most of his work isn't my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the skill.

I will now return to waiting for my brand new DSLR to finish acquiring its initial charge...