Resurrect "Shutterbug"?

SET Man

Re: Resurrect "Shutterbug"?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2006, 04:05 am »
Hey!

Guys! :D This just came to me. Instead of resurecting the shutterbug circle of which is it likely to be terminated again due to lack of activity.

Okay, here is my idea.... I went over to the "Sports Bar" and saw those "sticky threads" So, this gave me an idea. Why not make a "Shutterbug" sticky thread! :D Well, this way it we will know where to go in case we have questions or just want to talk about photography.

Hey! C'mon.... there is  a "Scoth" sticky thread and the last post wan on July 15, 2006 :o So, I can't see why can't we have a "Shutterbug" sticky thread there.

What do you guys think?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2006, 05:59 am »
I think that pussy cat looks like its suffering... :lol:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2006, 11:40 pm »
I'm in!

It's sad that some of my favorite photo papers are no longer available. as well as films. Seems funny to me that I can still buy new LPs but try and get some Portriga Rapid. When digital took over the analog audio scene the software remained available, once digital claims dominance over film will our cameras be museum pieces?

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:57 pm »
Bump... anyone interested in volunteering to run it?  :green:

SETman's idea is interesting too...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2007, 03:03 pm »
In addition to the 'shutterbug' thread, we could have 'bicycles', and 'wristwatches' also. They seem to be very popular subjects.
Like AudioKarma has specific OT forums, not just sticky threads, we could have the same here too.

Bob

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:07 pm »
I'll be checking in frequently too. Used to run a film or two through one of the old cameras from time to time, but these days it's P&S  for 99% of pics I take (and my kids are on 99% of those 99%).

And just found out that my Pentax ZX-5N died after sitting in a closet for ~2yrs with a roll of slide film in it....

Having a shutterbug thread, or sticky or.....along with spending $$ for camera repair should be enough to rekindle my interest.....this is probably the only forum where I'd dare posting my pics for a critique....

Photoshop or no?

Boris

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:12 pm »
Photoshop or no?
Yes

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't even consider myself a novice shutterbug, but I do enjoy trying to take "the perfect picture", always taking in conderation lighting, angles etc.... I've got a few pictures that I'd post in a photo thread/forum if one was available.

nathanm

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:23 pm »
I wouldn't mind the forum coming back.  I just recently purchased my 2nd camera after about, oh a 15 year hiatus from photography.  I was driving myself nuts deciding what digital SLR to get so I said screw it and bought a 4x5 wooden field camera.  I never touched a large format camera before, but I figure that is the old schoolest thing to do.  I look at JPEG artifacts every day and I'm just sick of it.  I will have to draw the line at analog printing though, I just could not fathom giving up the control of Photoshop for the print.  My darkroom experience in school was "cripes, this is a pain in the ass!"  But I am willing to consider DIY B&W negative development.  Right now I think I will shoot Polaroids as a transitory step.  We'll see.  I don't have the camera yet, though.  I bought it from the relatives of a Nigerian diplomat who was assasinated and they wanted to get rid of it.  Sad story, really.  I am so glad I was able to help them out.

nathanm

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:26 pm »
Photoshop or no?

Boris
I'm gonna lean towards real on that one.  Looks like a number on a glass door.  Could be Photoshop too, but I'm gonna say it's real.  Although perhaps the half symbol is an odd thing to use as a door number.

MaxCast

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:39 pm »
If there are no volunteers for a facilitator, start a thread in the sports bar like the Scotch and "what are you listening to now" threads.

nathanm

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:17 pm »
I'll facilitate it but I don't necessarily want to be on any Council thing if possible.  People will likely complain that I'm not doing enough moderation.  Just a fair warning.

SET Man

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:20 pm »
Bump... anyone interested in volunteering to run it?  :green:

SETman's idea is interesting too...

If there are no volunteers for a facilitator, start a thread in the sports bar like the Scotch and "what are you listening to now" threads.

Hey!

Great! I will definitely be hanging out there a bit. :D

It doesn't have to be circle. Just a sticky will do for me. :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:32 pm »
I wouldn't mind the forum coming back.  I just recently purchased my 2nd camera after about, oh a 15 year hiatus from photography.  I was driving myself nuts deciding what digital SLR to get so I said screw it and bought a 4x5 wooden field camera.  I never touched a large format camera before, but I figure that is the old schoolest thing to do.  I look at JPEG artifacts every day and I'm just sick of it.  I will have to draw the line at analog printing though, I just could not fathom giving up the control of Photoshop for the print.  My darkroom experience in school was "cripes, this is a pain in the ass!"  But I am willing to consider DIY B&W negative development.  Right now I think I will shoot Polaroids as a transitory step.  We'll see.  I don't have the camera yet, though.  I bought it from the relatives of a Nigerian diplomat who was assasinated and they wanted to get rid of it.  Sad story, really.  I am so glad I was able to help them out.

Hey!
        Congratulation on your new 4X5 field camera. And welcome to the world of large format photography. :D

It is a totally different world than 35mm and of course digital SLR world. :wink: The nature of the large and bulky of this 4x5 field camera will force you to think more and be more careful about shooting that particular picture. So, be patience :D

As for large format darkroom. Yes, it take time getting use to handling 4X5 sheet films... loading and unloading from holders and developing them. If you have couple of films that are the same after shooting you could make it easy by using sheet film developing tank. :D

BTW... what lens do you have for your field cam anyway?

Take care,

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:45 pm »
I'll facilitate it but I don't necessarily want to be on any Council thing if possible.  People will likely complain that I'm not doing enough moderation.  Just a fair warning.

Thanks Nathan, looks like we've got the facilitator.  :rock:

Not to hijack the thread, the picture

is of a real place: 301 1/2 Main St., Port Washington, NY. It was taken a few years ago and I happened to be there again just two weeks ago - everything is still there, but they have construction work going on and there is a lot more dust there now (but there is new, shiny doorknob).  If you happen to be in the 'hood, get a snapshot and post it in the new circle....It's a nice place to take a walk, go fishing, browse for antiquities or enjoy some good food.

Scott F.

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:02 pm »
I'll definitely post a few pics there too, especially since I just picked up a new DSLR  :green:

nathanm

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:05 pm »
SET man: Yes, the slow and contemplative approach is what I read a lot of in regards to the format.  I just hope it's not so cumbersome that it's a turn off.  I figure the fact that it costs you about 5 bucks to take a single picture will make me only want to shoot stuff that's really worthwhile.  But I also like the fact that the camera is modular and not disposable like the digital stuff can be.  You can put different format backs on it and in the future when digital backs are affordable for non-professionals the camera can still be used.  I am also looking forward to actually futz with the movements because it seems like no matter how much theory I read about it, I still don't fully "get it". 

I've been doing a lot of "faking" the analog look with some old digital shots (vignetting, grain, selective DOF etc.)  but I thought it would be cool to try the real thing.  I think photography is like audio in that we can often learn to love the things which are technically considered distortions.

It comes with a 135mm Nikkor but I also bought a 90mm for it as well given my preference for wide angles.  The camera is a Shen-Hao.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #36 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:13 pm »
Way to go Nathan,

Facilitate away and hold weekly contests.  It will be cool.

byteme

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:21 pm »
Sweet!  I just got my first dSLR last November and have been beginning to scratch a long time itch I've had to get more into photography.  It all started with a Nikon D50 and a couple kit lenses and now I'm up to a whole backpack full of stuff.  Couple new lenses, flash, extension tube, extension flash cord, remote, two tripods, etc.  I'll look forward to this kicking off.

Thanks for stepping up Nathan!

SET Man

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:23 pm »
Hey!

I see.... don't worry about the movement yet. You will get use to it later. Since you have a field cam the movements is somewhat limited compared to the more flexible monorail cam. Unless you are doing lots of architectures shots than that won't be a problem. :D In fact field cam usually more compact and easy to carry around than monorail cam. A great choice for something like outdoor nature photography :D

I know what you mean about "faking it" on digital photography. But wait until you print an 8x10 from  your 4x5 neg and you will know why I will always have a place in my heart for large format B&W photography. :inlove:

135mm Nikon? That is a pretty good lens. 135mm and 150mm are considered to be a normal lens on 4x5 format. A good lens kit for me is one that have 90mm, 150mm and 210mm. I have 90mm and 210mm both Nikon. :D My first lens is the 210mm. Very versatile lens. This is my standard lens of which I use the most. I don't have 150mm... was thinking of getting one but I find it easier and cheaper to just borrow the Schneider  150mm from my boss. :lol: I do wish I have a good 300mm for something like portrait though :roll:

Anyway, enjoy the 4x5 cam. And hopefully won't get turn off by it time consuming nature of the format itself. :wink: And since you already know photography I'm sure you'll get some photos that you will cherish forever with this 4x5 format cam. :D

Take care,
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2007, 06:40 pm by SET Man »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #39 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:49 pm »
I vote for a shutterbug circle. :thumb:

Raj