Back in the VMPS fold...

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Back in the VMPS fold...
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:48 pm »
John
I apologize & if you believe I misread, I'm sure I did.

What I meant was, most seem to recommend running the main speaker fullrange & use the sub only to augment the lowest bass, sometimes low-pass xing the sub below 30 Hz.  I only meant that I had great results, & very seamless blending w/ the 30C's high-pass crossed way up high, like at 140 Hz.  But again, this was using a pre-pro in Pro-Logic II mode, & I'm unusure of the slope.  Also this was pre-acoustic treatments, w/ at least two huge room modes, & the sub was low-pass x'd about an octave lower than the high-pass pole.  What would otherwise have been a gap was filled in by the room mode.

A high-pass pole at 140 Hz might have filtered some of the low-frequency signal even to the ribbons, raising the dynamic output to what was effectively limitless (beyond the pain threshold).  I experienced a couple mistakes made w/ the remote level control: the audible levels lagged behind the button action.  The resulting SPL, w/ no audible distortion, caused the remote to involuntarily fly out of my hands, which then visibly shook while searching for the mute button (400wrms/ch mains, twenty-seven hundred wrms corner-loaded sub).  It reminded me of an animal reaction to the impending arrival of a herd of elephants or a metor shower. 

I have not used a sub yet w/ the latest 30s (85wrms to the ribbons w/ virtually no L-pad attenutation; 380wrms/ch to the 6.5s).  The current setup is dynamic, but one or two steps below the old 30s high-pass x'd above 100 Hz w/ a mega-powered sub.  Looking forward to sealed subs, almost floor to ceiling, wedge-shaped corner-fitting enclosure, w/ EQ & 1000 wrms.  The old VMPS 10s to be employed need only .75 cu ft per driver, get -3dB @ 40 Hz anechoic & 30 Hz freestanding in an average room (measured several times including by an independent loudspeaker engineer).  An old Audio magazine article stated the average room provides 9dB of gain at 20 Hz.  I'm hoping the corner loading will push the in-room response down to a measured -3 dB of 25 Hz.  My intent is to match the ribbons w/ the sealed sub's alleged better transient response.           

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:00 pm »
John
I apologize & if you believe I misread, I'm sure I did.

No apology nessessary, in fact, your post likely helped many to see, that there are at least 2 main ways to add a sub to a system, and they should be approached differently.

mcrespo71

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2006, 09:09 pm »
Mike,

Whenever you say something like this:

THIS IS THE BEST SOUND I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY HOME IN 38 YEARS IN THIS HOBBY

Somebody is going to disagree and possibly flame away (especially when VMPS is in the mix over at AA)

Debating about what somebody else thinks is the best sound in THEIR system to THEIR ears seems rather stupid, silly, and childish.  Of course that never stopped anybody before!   :o

Jonbee, glad you are enjoying the RM 30's and that you found speakers that please you so much.

Happy listening.

George

George,

I guess I read it and it was so obviously Jonbee's own opinion that only a troll would take him to task on it.   Of course, AA isn't at a loss for trolls. :lol:  We'll see if it can stay civil over there.  Anyway, glad you like them Jon.

Michael