Digital piano recommendations?

PhilNYC

Digital piano recommendations?
« on: 2 Nov 2006, 11:05 pm »
Anyone here have experience with digital pianos?  Am looking for one to use at home; am most interested in the quality of the keyboard and sound quality of the piano.  Not all that interested in non-piano sounds, and no frills like rhythm tracks et al.  MIDI IN/OUT would be a bonus but not required at all...

Scott F.

Re: Digital piano recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2006, 11:11 pm »
Hi Phil,

I bought my daughter (a music major) an Ensonic a few years ago. I forget the model number. It has a full 88 keys. The keys are weighted and it comes with the sustain foot pedal. The sound from the speakers on top isn't too bad at all. It does have a midi connection, I think it even had an audio out for connection to an external amp/speakers. It also came with a floppy disc slot (that should tell you how old it is).

It wasn't horribly expensive at the time. I want to say it was around $1400 or so. It did have a few midi mixes built in but it isn't like one of the cheap Yamaha 'piano's'.

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2006, 11:57 pm »
The Costco by me has a bunch of digital pianos right now including one that looks like a mini grand. I have no idea about the sound quality or extras but, knowing Costco, the quality will be good and you can always return something you don't like no questions asked.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2006, 12:28 am »
Last year I bought a Casio PX 110 for my son as a practice keyboard.  It has 88 weighted keys, MIDI in/out, and pretty good sound for $500.  The best combination of piano key action and sound I could find for the money.

Russ

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2006, 02:32 pm »
I bought my son a Yamaha P-120 because it was the best thing available at the time. It is a professional stage piano with inboard speakers. After running it through a Marsh preamp into NHT Pro M-OO monitors I discovered that I would have been wise to buy the same keyboard without the inboard speakers because the sound and feeling was so much better through the outboard electronics.
We have a stand that was made for the keyboard but there are a million portable options available if you will be moving it around to gigs or whatever.
Just be aware that Yamaha rules this genre.

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:00 pm »
A used Roland RD700 would be the Rolls Royce of digital pianos in my opinion, having played them all. Fantastic instrument for playing. The fade in of padding, and chorus is luscious. Also the Yamaha CP 150 and 300, depending on how much your budget is. These machines will not leave you wanting. They are serious. Also the newer Kawai stuff is exceptional. Those have a "real" piano action, and thus make you work for the music.

I would head straight for a used Roland RD700...

jaywills

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2006, 04:11 pm »
Good morning.  I've learned to play on a Yamaha P140 (successor to the 120), and have been very pleased with both the sound and the keyboard feel.  The touch seemed more realistic than some other boards I tried and, while not the same as the grand upon which I do my recitals, is very close in both touch and feel.  There certainly are other good keyboards out there also.  Cordially,

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:37 am »
Thanks for all the recommendations!  Based on the feedback here and a few other places, I decided to go the Yamaha route...and Tito happened to be selling his Yamaha P80, so that's what I got!

:D

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2008, 10:23 pm »
BUMP
I'd like to bump this up as I will be looking for a keyboard for a beginner 8yo.  Piano touch is a must with 88 keys.  Looking to stay cheap <$500.
What does a MIDI do that a regular keyboard doesn't?
Best place to shop? Amazon?
Any forum recommendations?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2008, 10:34 pm »
I got one of these when my then 8 year old son started piano lessons three years ago.  Both keyboard and student are still going strong.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Casio-CDP100-88-Note-Weighted-Hammer-Action-Digital-Piano?sku=706083

Midi allows you to connect and control other keyboards, sound modules, computers, etc.

Russ

giantsteps

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2008, 11:46 pm »
Anyone here have experience with digital pianos?  Am looking for one to use at home; am most interested in the quality of the keyboard and sound quality of the piano.  Not all that interested in non-piano sounds, and no frills like rhythm tracks et al.  MIDI IN/OUT would be a bonus but not required at all...

What's your budget Phil? If you'd like I can meet you at the Guitar Center in Paramus any time until Saturday(inclusive) and help you make a clear cut choice. Sunday I'm off to PA....be back next Sunday.

Frank

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2008, 11:50 pm »

What's your budget Phil? If you'd like I can meet you at the Guitar Center in Paramus any time until Saturday(inclusive) and help you make a clear cut choice. Sunday I'm off to PA....be back next Sunday.

Frank

mmmm....I originally posted that in November 2006...per above, I already bought one from Tito... :duh: 8)

BradJudy

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm »
We have a General Music Pro1 which is really excellent and we picked over several others after trying them.  I don't think they are still importing them into the US, but I have seen used ones for sale on occasion and they are great deals.  Great feel and sound.  If you spot one used for $500, I'd definitely consider it - check craigslist. 

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2008, 12:03 am »
Thanks so far.  I checked the local paper and craigs list.  Can a person really go wrong with a $500 yamaha or casio?

giantsteps

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2008, 12:12 am »

Frank

mmmm....I originally posted that in November 2006...per above, I already bought one from Tito... :duh: 8)

OOPS! Sorry.......Due to gastric problems(bleeding ulcer) I have not had a drop of coffee for a long time. I knew something was fishy...never looked at the dates. I was wondering what happened to the Yamaha you bought?!?!? Man, am I f$@#%$ up!!! :duh: :lol:

I was just sharing with Topround that today was the first day that I felt pretty good. I just came off antibiotics fighting what was apparently walking pneumonia the past two weeks. I was a very sick dude for a while. Today, is the first day the ulcer stopped bleeding. So it looks like I'll survive the double whammy. Now....if I could only get my marbles back..........

Frank