Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Preamp compatible with Ref9s?

deBunk

• http://www.perthpunk.com
Hi. Just wondering if Jason or another NF person could quickly check the specs on this little Minimax preamp and advise whether it is compatible with the Ref9s, please (I believe there's some issue with impedance such that some preamps are not compatible with the NF amps).

Specs are as follows:

• Frequency Response: 10Hz - 150kHz
• THD: 0.015%
• Output: 2V
• Signal to Noise Ration: 93dB
• Input Impedance: 100K Ohm
• Output Impedance: 1.5K Ohm
• Total Gain: 20dB
• Power Consumption: 13Watt
• One 6X4, Two 12AU7 vacuum tubes
• All-tube linestage with 4 inputs
• Dimensions (W x D X H): - 13"
• Weight: 4kg

Also, if anyone out there has experience of this preamp, I'd love to have your impressions. The reviews are certainly impressive.

Cheers

lcrim

Re: Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Preamp compatible with Ref9s?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2006, 03:09 am »
My EE Minimax pre has 3 inputs, the site lists 4 incorrectly.  Mine was modded by Morningstar before I purchased it.  The mods included a reduction in gain to 18 dB. 
The pre does respond enormously  to tube rolling.  Like many others, I like the image density that this tube preamp brings to my system.  The cost is very reasonable for a high quality unit.

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2006, 03:33 am »
I don't have one anymore, but it's "style" of presentation was a very good match for digital amps.

dgotlse

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2006, 07:59 am »
Regarding the number of inputs, the current ones have 4 inputs (I used to have one before my EAR).

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2006, 09:47 am »
Nuforce amp has input impedance of 47K.   47K/1.5K = 31 which is ok.
Amp's sensitivity is about 1V-100W @ 8ohm. 

deBunk

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2006, 02:09 pm »
Sorry, Jason - I'm not up with the tech talk and am not sure what your response actually means. Are you saying that the amp is definitely compatible with the Ref9s, please?

Thanks for the feedback on the preamp, guys.  Icrim, do you think that the Morningstar mods make a very signficant difference (I was intending to buy the stock preamp without mods)?

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2006, 03:41 pm »
Sorry, Jason - I'm not up with the tech talk and am not sure what your response actually means. Are you saying that the amp is definitely compatible with the Ref9s, please?

Thanks for the feedback on the preamp, guys.  Icrim, do you think that the Morningstar mods make a very signficant difference (I was intending to buy the stock preamp without mods)?

Very,very good PreAmp. Yes, make sure to get the mods done :thumb:
Talk to Bill,excellent service and great guy :bowdown:
Go get some NOS tubes and have fun "Listening to music"!
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2006, 06:42 pm by carusoracer »

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2006, 04:19 pm »
I have no way of comparing the modded to the unmodded unit.  I have the power amp and the phono section as well, obviously I like the designers' musical view.   The sound is not rolled off @ either extreme.  The sound is, IMO, full, musical, and rich to a fault.  Inner detail is not lacking but the entire fabric is compelling.

deBunk

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2006, 01:28 am »
Thanks Carusoracer and Icrim.

Do you guys have any NOS recommendations for the Minimax? I know half the fun is doing your own rolling, but I'm new to this tube thingo, so any guidance to start with much appreciated.

Any recommended online stores for NOS stuff?

Cheers

GHM

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2006, 12:55 pm »
Pick up some Australian tubes from Bill at morning star.These tubes gave the EE the best sound I've heard from it. :thumb: Get the wrong tubes and it will sound like mush. :lol:

deBunk

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:01 pm »
GHM

I'm in Australia, so probably a bit circumlocutous to go through Morningstar!

Would love to know the exact Australian tubes you're referring to, though - please!

Cheers   :icon_lol:

GHM

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:13 pm »
GHM

I'm in Australia, so probably a bit circumlocutous to go through Morningstar!

Would love to know the exact Australian tubes you're referring to, though - please!

Cheers   :icon_lol:

:lol: Well I'll be darn!! I'll have to ask my friend about the exact type. Bill sent him some to try out. I went over for a listen as I was very disappointed with the black glass tubes he'd been using..just too noisy and indistinct(especially when I tried the EE here at home). You could just email Bill..he'll tell you exactly the type. Those Australian tubes made the black glass tubes sound like sludge! :lol:

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2006, 10:45 pm »
Since my system is all EE Mini Max I will add the tubes I'm using in the Mini Max Pre are all NOS Tungsol 6X4, RCA 12BH7 (center), Brimar 13D5 (right). It sounds really outstanding.

D

lcrim

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2006, 04:54 am »
I have a pair of the Australian 12AU7's from Bill as well.  They are AWV Super Radiotron and they are very easy to live with.  I use either one of the AWV Radiotron or a GE 6414 in the cathode follower (center) and a Haltron CV493 rectifier (black glass) and have tried many different 6X4's except Mullard and keep putting the Haltron back in.

carusoracer

« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2006, 04:16 pm »
Thanks Carusoracer and Icrim.

Do you guys have any NOS recommendations for the Minimax? I know half the fun is doing your own rolling, but I'm new to this tube thingo, so any guidance to start with much appreciated.

Any recommended online stores for NOS stuff?

Cheers

Hello,

It is very hit or miss to find exactly what you seek from vendors. Tubeworld.com,Brent Jesse Recordings, Vintage Tube services,Upscale Audio and ebay seem to be the most mentioned places.  Also try 6moons.com tube rolling article.
Bill @ Morningstar is a great help!

My tube compliments and favorites:

61' Tung Sol 6x4WA or w, 59' Cifte, 55' Raytheon Black Plate Jan 5814 D Getter
Good all around. Extended top to bottom

Haltron CV493 , 59'Valvo/Hamburg ECC82, 58' Brimar D Getter  Very Rich,huge soundstage

60' Genalex Gold Lion U707, 59 Valvo/Hamburg ECC82 Halo Getter, Mullard 10M w/gold pins.  Resolving,smooth,detailed with great extension and slam :smoke:

Happy TubeRollin' :thumb:

deBunk

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2006, 08:30 am »
Thanks a lot for those great details on your tube preferences, guys. As an absolute beginner in this tube rolling stuff, I am most appreciative of your sharing your knowledge and preferences.  I am anticipating that this will be an exciting new phase in my listening life. 

BTW, are you guys using NF power amps with your EE Minimaxes?