Too many audio discussion sites & not enough to talk abo

eric the red

Are there too many audio boards on the web and not enough to talk about? :?:  Between here, HD, AA and AK (to name a few), it seems to me that without new products to talk about, discussions of all things audio gets a bit monotonous and/or watered-down. After about two years of hanging out at several of the above mentioned boards, I get bored with most of the discussions after about 5 minutes as it seems as everything has been said before in one way or another. Without the latest and greatest products to talk about, what gets discussed that couldn't be answered with a simple search of the various audio boards?  8)

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2003, 06:05 pm »
Good point ETR,

We are adding new companies, see Rutledge, MAD, Ellis, and we are currently working on a few more that have not had inet forums before.

In addition some of our companies are coming out with new models, (CES) you know, that should cause a buzz.

With regards to HD, without ownership participation and with many forums starting here, I forsee that it will fade away at some point.

AudioKharma is almost exclusively vintage and I hope to start a vintage forum here to give those folks a place to talk about their equipment and be able to keep up with the best of the current direct to consumer equipment as well.

AA is very large, but boring to me after a few minutes.

Keep in mind we are less than 2 weeks old, and most of that time has been when people are on vacation.  This week CES is coming up and many of our now or future venders have been getting ready for that.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2003, 06:07 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
AA is very large, but boring to me after a few minutes.

Ditto.... and I can only read so many fights between Romy and others before I feel like saying, "grow the fuck up!"

eric the red

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2003, 07:25 pm »
Well I for one would frequent an audio site a lot more if they had a "Scantily Clad Female" forum  (and I'm sure SOME of the manufacturers wouldn't mind). :wink:

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2003, 08:05 pm »
Well you know I'm a PRUDE when it comes to stuff like that :-)  but maybe we could talk some members into posting some Pics of interest in a special adults only left field forum.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2003, 08:41 pm »
I'd like to see some Special Interest Circles which go deeper into particular areas. The problem is finding people with the interest in making them work.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2003, 08:45 pm »
I'll take Vintage, You take Vinyl, and JQP can take gaming  :wink:

eric the red

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2003, 10:42 pm »
How about a combined Beer and NFL forum-strictly seasonal of course...

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2003, 10:44 pm »
Sports Bar?

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2003, 10:55 pm »
Quote from: eric the red
How about a combined Beer and NFL forum-strictly seasonal of course...

ETR is just in it for the beer and cheerleaders!!! :P

hairofthedawg

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2003, 11:18 pm »
I do like the idea of a sports bar :beer:

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2003, 11:27 pm »
Quote from: hairofthedawg
I do like the idea of a sports bar :beer:

The Pogue and Bone or "P&B" was at AR, We will NOT  :nono: call this one the Borg and Marbles or "BM"

But I think I could use a cold one right now

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2003, 12:38 am »
The Round Table    TRT  Our on line bar??  Fully accessable from any post, thread, circle in our fourm.  This was a very busy place at AR (but they had Pogue :lol: ), kind of lame at HD :cry:    Here we could have strippers :o

Maybe we should ask Hustler if they would like a circle here   :wink:

hairofthedawg

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2003, 12:46 am »
girls next door...yeah, I like it :o

gonefishin

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:03 am »
Hey Eric...still upgrading I see ;)  :P  (jkn)

You have a point...but you can only read about so many "new" manufacturers coming out with their latest and greatest gear so many times...knowing that their new best...is nothing new and great...but most of the time something that has been done before...it's all about marketing...not audio!  Make a change to this line...and somehow the speakers or amp you were listening to yesterday are out of date...and couldn't possibly sound good!  What a bunch of hog wash :!:

Sure...there are some great companies out there...but most of what I see is the same old thing...over and over and over again...spend more money!  Which is actually one of the things I like about http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/.  I'm not much of a vintage guy...so I don't go there for that...but there are some really cool DIY projects going on there...everything from DIY speaker projects...DIY tube amp kits...and a couple guys even designing their own tube amps too...and designing their own speakers.  Many of the projects are aimed toward higher efficiency speakers...but there are a few regular speaker projects  as well.  

Bottom line...I've watched all this audio stuff go round and round...While I DO have much to learn...I also find audio sites can get boring very fast...but that's because of my interest...not the interest of others at any site.   What I still find interesting is getting a good product at a good price...Which, I suppose, is why I have gravitated toward DIY.  I think maybe we're just getting bored of the same thing over and over...even tho the brands switch...to me...it's all the same.  But I still have an interest in DIY speakers and tube amps...which I supose is why I still frequent the audio asylum high eff. bored...and audiokarma.

Eric...let me ask you this...what system would you most like to hear? Why?

What is your next upgrade going to be?

:beer: Cheers Eric...now go grab one of them shiny disks or that vinyl and start it a playin'!  :D

hey Eric...one more question...what was the best one piece of advice you have ever gotten from any audio bored over the years?  

take care all....and have FUN!

bob82274

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2003, 05:29 am »
I'll say that for me what keeps it fresh is the music.  Just all the different types out there it would take many years for me to listen to even a small percentage of it.  Granted some of it could be burned to keep the house warm but there is a bunch more that is worth listening to.

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2003, 02:31 pm »
Gonefishin,

AC is all about getting the mostest for the leastest.  If you like your stuff premade, our manufacturers have some of the best values.

If you want to save more and do your own projects from kits, many of our manufacturers have those available.

For example, Aspen has SS amp and pre-amp kits, MAD has Tube amps and pre-amp kits, Bent has transformer and resistive based pre-amp kits.

For speaker kits, the following manufacturers have them available: Adire, DIY Cable, nOrh, VMPS, GR research, and Ellis.

If you can do everything but the cabinet, you can have those made by Rutledge.

Want to make your own cables from a kit, no problem, contact DIY Cables.

This site was not set up to be a support group for our venders, but rather to give people a chance to see some of the best products on an absolute basis as well as the best values on an absolute basis.

gonefishin

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2003, 03:16 pm »
Yea Marbles...I know...and are familar with most of the manufacturers at HD and AC.  

bob867456348458346...for me...I kinda look at audio and music as two seperates.  I must have my music...Ican enjoy music without influence from my audio hobby...and I like my audio hobby but it ain't worth a thing without music.  

Sure...I like my system...and I enjoy listening to other equipment as well...but give me a boombox and the right CD...who cares about all that audiophile B.S. ;)

take care guys>>>>>>

eric the red

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:38 pm »
GF- (UPGRADES? Huh? :o ) I bought Danny's last Paradox 3 kit and had a pair custom made by my uncle and cousin in Minnesota. They arrive here TODAY all 220+ lbs of them (1"mdf, 2" mdf baffle, extra heavy black laminate, black hole 5, upgraded wire and auricaps). From the little I listened to them at xmas time-WOW! I just sold my Jolida cdp because I like the SACD 1000 better and hopefully my last upgrade for quite some time is a Boltz audio rack I bought off Agon yesterday that I have to go to Seattle to pick up tommorow. Best audio advice: "Buy pre-owned baby!!" :D

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:51 pm »
Quote from: eric the red
Best audio advice: "Buy pre-owned baby!!" :D

AMEN!  :!:

Most of my best deals in this hobby have been on preowned equipment.  Sometimes, like VMPS, they are already a good deal and have enough interest to have decent resale if you ever want to sell (for upgrade of course).  I got a killer deal on my Rega P3 & Spectron amp, both because they were lightly used before.  If possible I always try to buy used.  But as always, buyer beware!