RMAF

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
RMAF
« on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:49 am »
I just got back from Denver--I had to leave a day early to play a concert.  But I heard about everything I wanted to check out.  I think the best sounds were in the Salk room, but then what do I know.  One thing for sure--Jim's speakers were the biggest bargain there.  Any 2-way with decent drivers, crossover components, and a sturdy attractive cabinet cost $5,000 a pair.  The starting area for a 3-way seemed to be around $15,000.  There were a number of well-executed designs, but nothing that had the kind of see-through sound in the upper midrange and lower treble that really makes music come alive.    We got off to a bad start on Friday with a Nextel version of the HT3's that Jim fiinished about 5 minutes before he had to hit the road.  Something was off in the crossover wiring or drivers, and we swapped in the regular HT3's for Saturday and Sunday.  The reaction seemed very positive, and there was a steady stream of listeners all day Saturday.  It was a great pleasure to meet Frank Van Alstine.  A true scientist and enthusiast.  With a great ear.  And, as always, a treat to spend time with Mary--Jim should immediately appoint her Vice-President-in-charge-of-public relations. 

Big Red Machine

Re: RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2006, 02:09 am »
I went to almost every room there and always compared the sound to the HT3's.  Most failed and those that rose to the occasion were well beyond my pocketbook.  I have 70 photos of the show but haven't figured out how to post photos here yet.

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:03 pm »
Once again, it was a pleasure to listen to and see the Salk speakers, and a pleasure to speak with Jim and Frank.  A great room with great products. 

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2006, 02:46 pm »
I thought the room sounded quite bad, it was terrible on Friday, got a little better on Saturday/Sunday, but still, I have the Salk HT3 in my well-treated room and I know how much more they're capable of. I would use the words "day and night" difference to describe the HT3 in the RMAF room and the HT3 in my room. Luckily I bought the HT3 well before the RMAF!!!!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2006, 04:13 pm »
[]
I thought the room sounded quite bad--I have the Salk HT3 in my well-treated room and I know how much more they're capable of. I would use the words "day and night" difference to describe the HT3 in the RMAF room and the HT3 in my room.

Well, all I can say is I wish I had your room.  By Saturday, when we had the right speakers running, it sounded pretty much the way I've always heard them.  The bass was a little heavy, but otherwise I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. 

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2006, 04:46 pm »
[]
I thought the room sounded quite bad--I have the Salk HT3 in my well-treated room and I know how much more they're capable of. I would use the words "day and night" difference to describe the HT3 in the RMAF room and the HT3 in my room.

Well, all I can say is I wish I had your room.  By Saturday, when we had the right speakers running, it sounded pretty much the way I've always heard them.  The bass was a little heavy, but otherwise I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. 

Dennis, it's regret that I didn't manage to meet up with you in person. I attended the audio clinic in room 573. one of the present told the audience that you happened to be one of the very few privileged people that has a "golden ear" that can pick up a dip/peak at certain frequency just by listening to music played through a pair of speakers.. :notworthy:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2006, 05:02 pm »
And I'm really good at that when I have a frequency response plot hidden in the palm of my hand.   I think it's fair to say that I'm particularly sensitive to frequency response deviations.  But I don't seem to pick up right away on other qualities that people focus on, Like soundstaging and imaging.  I can forgive a speaker just about anything as long as it's neutral and transparent.  I still heard that in the Salk room, but I'm sure other elements of the presentation were sub-par. 

randybessinger

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2006, 05:44 pm »
Dennis,

Great to meet you.  I did visit the Merlin room on Sunday and the Merlin representative waxed poetic on many things that I had no clue about.  I never did understand the "lead free" thing.  Is that an environmental thing or is it supposed to make the speakers sound better?  I do agree though that they were the only ones that came close to the transparency of the HT3's.  I didn't realize they had an equalizer as part of the system to enhance bass. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2006, 06:26 pm »
And it was a pleasure to meet you as well.  That's probably the best part about these gatherings.  I wondered how Merlin was getting so much deep bass out of the Scan woofer.  Thanks for the info.  I spent maybe 1/2 hour yakking with the Merlin designer.  He seemed extremely dedicated and genuinely enthusiastic, but I think the ratio of technical mumbo jumbo to science was way large.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2006, 06:44 pm »
I think I should say something about Frank's electronics, which have been slighted so far.  I was pretty bummed out Friday afternoon after hearing the first HT3's, and spent a couple of hours checking other displays to see whether there might be common room problems that were messing things up.  When I got back to the Salk room, the speakers sounded vastly improved, and there were smiles evident.  Well, I was actually listening to a pair of HT2 MTM's, which have a tube-unfriendly impedance curve and aren't particularly sensitive despite the double woofs.  They were being driven by a little 30 watt tube amp.  It was quite amazing.  I decided Frank pretty much knew what he was doing.  Frank compared some of his larger amps using the HT3's on Saturday, but unfortunately I missed that.  What I did hear sounded great, though.  

brj

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2006, 07:59 pm »
Quote from: randybessinger
I never did understand the "lead free" thing.  Is that an environmental thing or is it supposed to make the speakers sound better?

Environmental.  The European Union (plus a few others, I believe) started enforcing the RoHS directive this past July, which significantly reduces the amount of lead and other toxic substances allowed in commercial electronics.

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2006, 08:08 pm »
I would like to weigh in on the Salk speakers.....first off, I did not go into the AVA/Salk room until Sat., so if there were sonic problems on Fri., I missed them.

I heard the HT3's with the hybrid gear; and the HT2's with the all-tube gear. Both speakers were terrific in there own way. The 2's really surprised me. A bit more laid-back, perhaps, than the 3's; but very smooth and pleasing. The 3's, of course, were (to use nathanm's terminology..) FULL-ASSED!! The all important mid-range was whole and completely fleshed out. The high frequency range was exceptional and added overall 'space' to the sound. The bass was deep and natural sounding. Overall, a very seamless and natural presentation.

I was able to have a couple of nice conversations with Jim both in the room, and privately. A true gentleman. He, of course, gave much credit to Dennis; and I must do the same. (sorry I missed you, Dennis).

And Dennis, you are quite correct; Franks gear really made 'em sing. I'll reserve my comments on the electronics for Frank's forum; but I will say that they are awesome.

If any attendees missed this room, shame on you!

Papajin

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2006, 09:29 pm »
I notice that someone from the AV123 forums managed to get a candid picture of Jim. :)

Harvested from this thread: RMAF Thread on AV123

95bcwh

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2006, 09:50 pm »
I saw one of Jim's pictures a year ago, and he must have lost quite a few pounds since then, he joked with me that it's due to the demand of "piano finish" speakers in recent months.  :)

randybessinger

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2006, 12:31 am »
Everytime I see and talk to Jim and Mary, I am reminded how great it is to know nice people.  Jim is such a craftsman and involving Dennis Murphy was such a great decision.  I wish that everyone that loves this hobby would have the opportunity to take a long listen to his speakers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2006, 04:07 am »
My photo.

Jim said there was some bad components in the xovers Friday that he replaced Friday night and that's why the sound improved on Saturday.  He's still on the road so he should be able to provide details later in the week. :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:43 pm »
Actually, we switched speakers entirely.  On Saturday Jim played a pair of magnesium HT3's until the purchaser came to pick them up at 1:00.  Then Jim wired up another pair of mag HT3's that were only missing tweeters and mids (which he borrowed from an HT1).  We'll have to diagnose what was going on with the Nextel versions.

Papajin

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:49 pm »
Actually, we switched speakers entirely.  On Saturday Jim played a pair of magnesium HT3's until the purchaser came to pick them up at 1:00.  Then Jim wired up another pair of mag HT3's that were only missing tweeters and mids (which he borrowed from an HT1).  We'll have to diagnose what was going on with the Nextel versions.

The replacements weren't in Bubinga by any chance were they?  Just wondering as Jim was planning to deliver my pair on the way back from RMAF and take the tweeters and mids out of the pair I currently have here. :)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2006, 04:26 pm »
Let's just say your woofer will be properly broken in.  You were a life saver. I hope you don't mind contributing to the cause. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:05 am »
Jim.....Show coverage photo's........ :thumb: