FET-VALVE preamp (late-'93 model): compromised headphone amp circuit + other iss

nathanm

I'm just saying that the manner of the request was reasonable if not necessarily the content of it.  This is a matter between one customer and the vendor ultimately.

TjMV3

This is a matter between one customer and the vendor ultimately.

Absolutely.

elcaptain88

Regardless of merit, this individual needed to pick up the phone and make a call to AVA - not start this bizarre dialog on an internet forum.

avahifi

By the way, the CW switches are $8 each from us (except we are shipping them free even out of warranty) the volume control is $25, and a "better" headphone board is not available for this unit unless he wants to pay for a custom built one-off board done especially to fit in this old chassis (big bucks).  Shipping on small parts is $9.00.

An interesting aside, another client just purchased the T7SL preamp advertised here (the one with the extension power cord stub) and is so happy with the headphone amp performace (same as the one in dispute here) that he is ordering a new amplifier from me.

Lots of interesting things in this business.

Frank Van Alstine

KHashmi316

• Gamma Electronics
I'm just saying that the manner of the request was reasonable if not necessarily the content of it.  This is a matter between one customer and the vendor ultimately.

Which is precisely why I privately emailed FVA my request.

FVA chose to bring the matter into the Audiocircle public forum, on his own accord, in this message:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32696.msg291334#msg291334

Also note: no where in the posted off-list (private-to-AVAHIFI) email (which was posted here to follow up on FVA's message: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32696.msg291343#msg291343 ) did I mention "price" or "cost" or "free of charge". Specifically, FVA could have suggested a payment or price in a follow-up. I can't prove that, however. Nor should anyone reading this message have good reason to trust my claim. FVA has the original (private) email so he can comment on it as necessary.

avahifi

I brought the preamp owner's rather unusual request for free and new parts and circuits public here in AC only after the owner appears to have tried to dissect the unit here in the first place, obviously without understanding the circuit.

I would have thought a call to me regarding any possible problem might have been a more friendly first approach.

Oh well.

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

Frank,
Heck, I don't mind paying for a couple replacement parts.:D Ignore my PM to you requesting them for free. I'll call with credit card tomorrow and order the CW switches for my FV preamp, and replacement volume and balance controls for my Super PAS Three. Thanks,
Ron

dB Cooper

Frank, my original 1st-gen MosFet SCA-80, which you rebuilt for me in April-May 1984 has developed a noticeable hum after only 22 years. You must really use crappy parts  :roll:

(But seriously, I'd consider getting the thing fixed/updated (to whatever degree possible, I understand the chassis is no longer supported) if you'd still work on it...)

avahifi

We still support all of our older equipment for repair purposes, although signficant upgrades are no longer cost effective to some units. So go ahead and send it in, we can fix it.

Regarding hum, if the unit is getting really old, then it may be getting senile and no longer remembers the words. :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

George

• spydernation
Regarding hum, if the unit is getting really old, then it may be getting senile and no longer remembers the words.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is how signature material is born.

rustneversleeps

Don't mind if I jump in on this issue.

I am perfectly happy with my 1993 AVA Super Pas 4i preamp, even though I spent a great deal of time replacing bad jacks initially, but I didn't mind, I am good at this kind of work.

This gentleman discovered the headphone circuit board issue 13 years later, and AVA reassured him that it had no effect sonically, I think he should be happy just to get a response. How often do you use headphone anyway? I don't use mine at all.

AVA's willing to supply the better rocker switch for free, I think it's very good customer service (he would have to put them in himself).

Now why would he ask for a new volume switch? Can AVA just tell him where to buy one? (I want to know that myself, and the selector switch too, where can we buy them, Frank?).

AVA charge $9.00 for shipping small parts, I think it's kind of steep, priority mail would only cost around $4.00, first class would be even cheaper.

I think it's a non issue for both parties, just listen to the preamp and enjoy it.

dB Cooper

We still support all of our older equipment for repair purposes, although signficant upgrades are no longer cost effective to some units. So go ahead and send it in, we can fix it.

Regarding hum, if the unit is getting really old, then it may be getting senile and no longer remembers the words. :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine
<rimshot> on the hum joke...
It will definitely be awhile but since the subject of service on older equipment came up, I thought I'd ask. Reason I asked about upgrades is that I noticed reading Audio Basics that there were at least four more iterations of the MosFet series after this (including at least one power boost), and I saw a "kludge" to upgrade a Fet series preamp board to Ωmega configuration. My selector switch is also still set up for two phono inputs. Would the serial number give you any useful info? I don't want to waste your time; like I say, it will be a while.

avahifi

The 100K ohm precision stepped Noble volume and balance controls are available from us for $25 each.  We had a few failure of the "click stops" in some of the older pots because Noble did a poor job of riveting them in place.  They are repairable.  Actually, after we discovered the issue, we now take them all apart in the first place and make darn sure the riveted in spring will never come loose.  There is no effect on the electrical function, just an annoyance when the click stops quick clicking.  Some people don't like the click stops and ask us to remove them in the first place, can be done at no extra charge in the build process.

Our shipping and handling charge includes our time to prepare the paperwork, pack, shipping supplies, and occasionally a post office run if the box is too big for our mailbox or its going to a furren place.  Its about 10 minutes of labor at our $80 per hour rate.  See if you could make a living doing it at $9 per box, paying for the supplies out of your own pocket of course.

The selector switch we use is $89.00 but is not universally adaptable to all our older products.

Frank Van Alstine

TjMV3

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

:rotflmao: :lol: :lol:

Oh man,  that's a classic, Frank!!  I literally laughed out loud!  Too funny!