Phono cartridges one more time?

daveshel

Phono cartridges one more time?
« on: 21 Oct 2006, 06:08 am »
The Longhorn was on my want list when it became extinct. I am looking for a new cartridge and want to know what other AVA users are liking these days. My drive train consists of a Super PAS Three and an Ultimate-70; the turntable is a Roksan Radius5.

robert1325

Re: Phono cartridges one more time?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2006, 09:24 am »
I'm not an ava user , but find the classic denon dl103 a very musical cartbridge, especially for it's price :P

Zheeeem

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2006, 01:16 pm »
The Longhorn was on my want list when it became extinct. I am looking for a new cartridge...

Well, the Longhorn isn't really extinct, even if AVA no longer makes them.  One of the back issues of Audio Basics has the recipe.  Frank has them indexed on the website.

It is really easy to make.  First, you need a cartridge with a flat front.  Grados fit the bill, plus they are really good cartridges in their own right.  Take a 1/4 inch brass u-channel - generally available at your local hardware store.  Cut a 1.5 to 2 inch length.  Make a notch in the center that closely matches the cartridge width about 1/2 to 3/4th of the way down the "U" part of the u-channel.  A file works well for this.)  Add a gob of solder at both ends.  (Here's where the ability to gob solder is actually an asset!).  Fill the rest in with plast-i-clay, then glue the u-channel to the front of the cartridge.  (I generally use rubber cement, since it is reversible.)

Couple things to watch out for:  1. That your arm can effectively counterweight the mass (generally not a problem unless you decide to build an especially big longhorn) and 2. that the arm, when attached, won't actually bump into anything like an armrest, etc.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2006, 04:37 pm »
I'm currently pimping the AT440MLa.

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2006, 05:25 pm »
One of the other nice features of the Longhorn, was that AVA damped the internal coils to prevent microphonics IIRC. I don't know if this was done for the Grado specific cartridges, or if it's a good idea in general. Maybe Frank can provide more detail on this, and possibly some instruction as well.

Jampot

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2006, 08:30 pm »
I'm currently pimping the AT440MLa.

:oops: :oops:

Who ever would say such a thing!

Jim

tonyptony

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2006, 11:57 pm »
daveshel, what arm is on the Radius? There are lots of good carts out there, as I'm sure you know. But I'd want to make sure to narrow the range down to ones that are suitable from an resonance frequency POV.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2006, 03:36 pm »
Check out Franks's thoughts and construction techniques for the Longhorn here: http://www.avahifi.com/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab1982.pdf  Starting on page 5 with VOLUME ONE NUMBER THREE  MARCH, 1982 you'll find great advise on tonearm and cartridge tweaks as well as building your own Longhorn. Happy Listening! :thumb:

daveshel

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2006, 03:13 am »
daveshel, what arm is on the Radius? There are lots of good carts out there, as I'm sure you know. But I'd want to make sure to narrow the range down to ones that are suitable from an resonance frequency POV.

The Nima.

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2006, 12:35 am »
The Nima's effective mass is 10 grams. If you go to www.cartridgedb.com and use the Resonance Evaluator it will give you a sense of the range of compliance and cartridge mass that will keep you in the right window. I took a quick look and it seems like something on the order of a Benz Micro Ace would fit the bill, if that will give you the kind of sound you're looking for. Or a Dynavector 17dMk2. They both occasionally show up used on Audiogon. With the 17dMk3 just out I suspect there will be a few Mk2's popping up.

daveshel

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:44 am »
The Nima's effective mass is 10 grams. If you go to www.cartridgedb.com and use the Resonance Evaluator it will give you a sense of the range of compliance and cartridge mass that will keep you in the right window. I took a quick look and it seems like something on the order of a Benz Micro Ace would fit the bill, if that will give you the kind of sound you're looking for. Or a Dynavector 17dMk2. They both occasionally show up used on Audiogon. With the 17dMk3 just out I suspect there will be a few Mk2's popping up.

Hmm. I can't recall the source right now, but it seems I did see or maybe hear of a good review of the Radius5/Nima with a Benz Micro. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2006, 02:01 am by daveshel »