Which "Kind of Blue" CD release sounded the best?

95bcwh

Which "Kind of Blue" CD release sounded the best?
« on: 15 Oct 2006, 04:43 pm »
All,
  I recent bought Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" CD from Amazon:
  http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Blue-Miles-Davis/dp/B000002ADT/sr=1-1/qid=1160930159/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-3460428-1234341?ie=UTF8&s=music

This is the 1997 Columbia release, but it sounded CRAP on my very revealing system, the recording is too harsh, and thin.

I wonder if there's a another release out there that sounds better? (I don't have SACD player so that option is out!).

Thanks
  barry

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Which "Kind of Blue" CD release sounded the best?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2006, 04:54 pm »
Better get a TT Barry..... :lol:
Here's an info link about the many release's....best to me was the December 2001 – Classic Records CS8163QP, Quiex SV-P 200 gram vinyl, corrected speed, original tracks.
Remember....it's an old recording...... :thumb:

Chris

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2006, 05:10 pm »
Here's an info link about the many release's....best to me was the December 2001 – Classic Records CS8163QP, Quiex SV-P 200 gram vinyl, corrected speed, original tracks.

Chris

Oh no  :slap:...I have enough headache choosing my amp and my source  :dunno:.. if I'm going to get a TT, that will more than double my headache because my amp and preamp choice will have to be different again....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2006, 05:24 pm »

Chris

Oh no  :slap:...I have enough headache choosing my amp and my source  :dunno:.. if I'm going to get a TT, that will more than double my headache because my amp and preamp choice will have to be different again....
What !! You don't have a 2nd. system yet ? :jester:

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2006, 06:54 pm »

Chris

Yep, thats the best one alright :thumb: (unless you go for the 45 RPM version) :green:

My KOB CD sucks too. We must have the same release. The tape hiss is so damned loud its distracting. Hey Berry, you really need a TT. You don't have to spend a mint. A grand all in should get you 80-85% of the way there (if you buy used). Just think, then you can stop paying $15 for a CD and start spending $30 a copy for audiophile vinyl releases  :lol: Seriously though, vinyl is much cheaper when you get it from flea markets, garage sales and relatives who have given up on the medium.

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2006, 08:29 pm »
A grand all in should get you 80-85% of the way there (if you buy used).

Only a grand is enough?? :drool:

What TT, preamp and amp can anyone recommend (I have no problem with used)? I already have my speakers (Salk HT3)..

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2006, 09:37 pm »
Hiya Barry,

Well, if were my bucks I'd go for this Graham Slee Era Gold phono stage on Agon for $550 for starters.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1165690563
You won't find a better sounding phono stage even if you quadruple the money at retail, its that good.

As for turntables, lets see the choices are plentyful.

Heres a Rega 3 with a Clearaudio wood for $500
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1166032888

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of this Thorens 165 and Shure cart at $200 (you may want to upgrade the cart though)
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1165777091

Heres a Roksan, arm and cart for $595
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1165017598

This Ariston is pretty spiffy at $435
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1164909605

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Now, I didn't realize that you needed a preamp too. Tell you what, eBay usually has several of the Dynaco tubed preamps that have been rebuilt. You can get one of those or something similar with an integrated phono pre for less than $500 and they sound just swell too. I'd spend some time surfing around Agon and eBay. See whats out there. If you are unsure of the build quality or how it sounds, you've got the guys here at AC give you our impressions (right, wrong or indifferent).

Thump553

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2006, 01:53 am »
Back on the topic of Kind of Blue, I remember reading once that all the released versions of it from the beginning were based on a master tape playing at the wrong speed and it wasn't until xxx release that this was finally corrected.  Is this true, or was it a figment of my imagination?  And if true, which release is supposed to be the true version?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2006, 01:57 am »
Back on the topic of Kind of Blue, I remember reading once that all the released versions of it from the beginning were based on a master tape playing at the wrong speed and it wasn't until xxx release that this was finally corrected.  Is this true, or was it a figment of my imagination?  And if true, which release is supposed to be the true version?
Info link......for your question. :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:06 am »
Thanks Scott for the TT advice... I will look into it.. right now, I'm absolute newbie when it comes to TT, but I will learn :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:10 am »
Barry....Did you see this......?

95bcwh

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:12 am »

Yes I saw it.... :drool:   but, what else do I need?
 :icon_lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:14 am »

Yes I saw it.... :drool:   but, what else do I need?
 :icon_lol:
Thats a TT package...just add a preamp and amp....you have speakers.
5 days till RMAF....the candy store.... :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:20 am »
Info link......for your question. :thumb:

Hey!

Excellent info link Chris :D

Anyway, I have the Classic Records "200g Quiex Vinyl" version :D Even playing through my cheap analog set up consisted of Rega Planar 2, Blue Point Spec. EVO III cart, the sound is great! :D

I can't imagine how a CD version... any versions of this album could sound better than this Classic Record LP! :D

...Just think, then you can stop paying $15 for a CD and start spending $30 a copy for audiophile vinyl releases  :lol: ...

Scott, that is so true :lol: My friends think I'm crazy :roll: But it is worth it :D Well, not all LPs cost $30. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:23 am »
Thats a TT package...just add a preamp and amp....you have speakers.

How is it compared to what Scott recommended to me in one of his previous messages?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:32 am »
I would say on par with his picks....good starting point....all in one package.
A little reading.....for more info. :thumb:

EMM801

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:36 am »
The Columbia Legacy CK 64935 CDrelease was digitally remastered from the original tapes, using a restored 3-channel vacuum tube tape machine identical to the one used for the original sessions and with the original side 2 pitch shift corrected.
This release sounds great imho. The hiss is still there, but the only place it's really intrusive IMO is right at the beginning of "So What". I have an audio editor on my Mac (Amadeus II) which has a white noise filter and I made a rip reducing the hiss on just that part. Left the rest alone to avoid introducing any distortion.

Such a great record, I'd listen to it on a prerecorded cassette before a I'd listen to a lot of current music on whatever. How much current music will still be getting listened to in 49 years?

Thump553

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2006, 10:27 am »
That link to the wikipedia page is great, lonewolfny42.  A classic example of what is good about the web.

PhilNYC

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2006, 11:41 am »
That link to the wikipedia page is great, lonewolfny42.  A classic example of what is good about the web.

However, it is missing my favorite re-issue of Kind of Blue...the Japanese re-master from May 2001:

http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Blue-Miles-Davis/dp/B00004U56N/sr=1-7/qid=1161085040

There is a new Japanese re-master that was just re-issued this year; not sure if its any good:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1251317