OB5 pictures

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: OB5 pictures
« Reply #40 on: 22 Nov 2006, 05:18 pm »
Dayglow - How did you mount the baffle to the main cabinet after both had been veneered?

It's still apart. It'll be glued on after finishing. Just simply glue and clamp.

Cheers

mpauly

« Reply #41 on: 22 Nov 2006, 05:36 pm »
It's still apart. It'll be glued on after finishing. Just simply glue and clamp.

Any tips for keeping glue off the veneer?

Thanks,
Michael

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #42 on: 22 Nov 2006, 06:01 pm »
Any tips for keeping glue off the veneer?

In this situation the pieces being glued together will already have a finish on them, so any squeeze out would just be wiped off with a damp rag. But if for example there was no finish, a trick you could do would be to glue the pieces, touch them together lightly, pull them apart, let them sit for a few minutes till the glue is not as runny, then put them back together, let them sit for another couple of minutes, then clamp.

You get much less squeeze out that way. Glue on a veneer is not the end of the world however. Not finding it before finishing is a problem. You can often find it by washing over the veneer with acetone, you'll see where it doesn't absorb. But getting rid of it isn't that big of a deal.

If you do happen to get some on the veneer, you're often better to just leave it there till it gets semi-hard, then peel it off, or scrape it off. A lot of people start on it right away with a damp rag and all that's doing is thinning it so that it gets down into the pores. Then it's a bigger problem.

An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure. :wink:

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers

RAW

« Reply #43 on: 22 Nov 2006, 08:00 pm »
Nice work on the curved OB-5  :thumb:
How many hrs you figure you have into them.?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #44 on: 22 Nov 2006, 09:27 pm »
Nice work on the curved OB-5 

Thanks Al, being in the business, I appreciate the compliment.

How many hrs you figure you have into them.?

A ton. :lol:

Honestly, the baffles alone took me about as much time as it would take to make a set of cabinets without the curves. But I didn't really keep a time sheet, I just kinda chipped away here and there on them while working on other projects.

Cheers

WallyWest

« Reply #45 on: 26 Nov 2006, 04:30 am »
Long time lurker here, I just had to say Dayglow those are some of the best looking speakers I've ever seen.  Even unfinished they look like a million bucks.  Makes me want to build a pair, except I'll never get results like that.   :(

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #46 on: 26 Nov 2006, 05:18 am »
They are done. They are burning in as we speak. We are having our first local get together tomorrow. I'll take pics of the event and post pics of them. They turned out awesome. :thumb:

Cheers

RAW

« Reply #47 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:37 pm »
Heads up.
As we got a good winter blast up here this week which just followed a monsoon week last week with rain and wind.We have been in and out of as far as power goes as well as internet.

We had a few people asked for pricing on the OB-5 ,the pricing we have done is in this thread for those who have contacted us.
Sorry we lost a few emails during this last storm along with a few feet of snow.

Thanks

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #48 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:01 am »
Here are some pics of mine after finishing, I'll post some more when the bases are done. It'll give it a bit more of a techy look. Stay tuned.

Cheers

shep

« Reply #49 on: 29 Nov 2006, 12:34 pm »
drop dead gorgeous!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #50 on: 29 Nov 2006, 05:44 pm »
Looks great!  What color is that (in case my LCD monitor color rendition is off - it looks dark purple).
Sometimes I wish I had a spray booth - then I think about the cleanup hassle and get back to Danish oil secret sauce finishes :wink:
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2006, 06:24 pm by Hank »

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #51 on: 29 Nov 2006, 05:47 pm »
Very Very rich looking.  I hope mine turn out half that good.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2006, 06:12 pm »
I'm very pleased with the way they turned out. :green:

The color is a very dark charcoal. Capturing the color so it looks true on a computer screen is kinda hit and miss.

Here's a couple more views.

Enjoy. These speakers are on their way out. Someone that was here at our meet on Sunday just called me today to tell me he wants these, he loves the grain of the veneer and the color. I'm not emotionally attached to these , so they will be going. On to the next pair! :thumb:

Cheers

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #53 on: 30 Nov 2006, 02:03 am »

A nosy question.

How many passoes?

Just wondering in case I get the itch to go LS?

These things are so good it makes me wonder what the LS series will really do.

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #54 on: 30 Nov 2006, 03:25 am »

A nosy question.

How many passoes?

Just wondering in case I get the itch to go LS?

These things are so good it makes me wonder what the LS series will really do.

Rocket_Ronny

You talkin' to me pardner?

Cheers

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #55 on: 30 Nov 2006, 04:18 am »
Yup.

If it's a top military secret, my feelings won't be hurt.

If private, but you are willing to let me know, you can email me at ron@scripturesongs.com

I think a ready built OB 5 should be worth $2,000.00, which is low, to $2,500.00, I would figure.

There is a whole lot of work to make the cabs, crossover, and wire the things.

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2006, 04:35 am »
Rocket_Ronny,

I've had a few people PM me inquiring about what I would charge to build them a set as well. What I said was that if enough people were to want them, I would do a batch order, and that way be able to offer a better deal than if I was to do them as one offs, here and there.

So, if there are any other people that would seriously be interested, PM me, and indicate whether you would be interested in a curved or straight version of the OB 5. I'll put together a price and let you guys know.

Cheers