Realtraps Diffusor

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Realtraps Diffusor
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2006, 05:13 pm »
Bob,

> Maybe I'll drive to the construction facility and pick two up for comparison with what I have now. <

Or maybe it's time for me to visit you in person. You've been a good customer for a long time, and I still have never seen your smiling face. :lol:

Doug and I are getting together this weekend to finalize the last few details, so give me a few more weeks and we'll try to find a time I can visit that's convenient for both of us.

--Ethan

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2006, 05:45 pm »
Well, a few more weeks is better for me.  I currently have the next two weekends planned out (including a possible short trip to the Whiskey Fest at Mohegan Sun!), and I'll be working one day on the weekend every day for the next probably 5-6 weeks.  However, I should be able to get there one of these weekends and have some time to compare use of these diffusers at different locations (first reflection points, behind me, etc.).  I wish I had more time, as I'd like to bring my ETF system so I can see where the heck 60 Hz is leaking into it.  I have my ideas, but it would be nice to compare with a system that I know works.  Anyway, please contact me in the future. I look forward to our meeting.

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #22 on: 20 Oct 2006, 04:27 am »
Ethan

Does the Diffusor require an airspace when mounted on the wall?

Bob

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2006, 06:29 pm »
Bob,

> Does the Diffusor require an airspace when mounted on the wall? <

No, it's not required, but a space increases the bass trapping aspect even further. If you have room and don't mind giving up another 2 to 6 inches or whatever, all the better. If not, it will still absorb a lot of bass, and the diffusion will be identical regardless.

--Ethan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 12 Nov 2006, 02:27 pm »
I am hoping to try the Diffusor panels in the next few weeks.

I will let you know once I receive them.

George

AB

« Reply #25 on: 12 Nov 2006, 08:21 pm »
I am hoping to try the Diffusor panels in the next few weeks.

George

Me too. I have a pair on order.

Ethan tells me he will have pics of the production models on his site soon. The pic that's on the site now is of a prototype. The production versions will have different colored "vanes" - black or white rather than the gray/silver in the pic.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2006, 03:54 pm »
Belowis a picture of the production version in black as per Ethan's website. I will have three of them at the start of next week.

Will let everybody know how great a job they do as soon as receive them and get them in place.

I will be putting two on the wall behind me and one on the front wall behind the speakers and between to windows.

George

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2006, 08:56 am »
Very cool looking!  I'm anxious to see how they work for you.

czapp

• http://carlzapp.com
« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2006, 01:59 pm »
Hi George
I noticed that you are using the triangular traps in your room. Have you found them to be effective?
I've been using a pair of mini traps in the front corners of my room for a few years now. After going through several other bass traps that had no effect, I stumbled onto the mini traps. Their effectiveness is astonishing.
Thanks
Carl

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:52 pm »
Hi George
I noticed that you are using the triangular traps in your room. Have you found them to be effective?
I've been using a pair of mini traps in the front corners of my room for a few years now. After going through several other bass traps that had no effect, I stumbled onto the mini traps. Their effectiveness is astonishing.
Thanks
Carl

Absolutely!!!

I haven't yet tried an acoutics product that is as effective in the bass ragion as the Realtraps products.  On top of their effectiveness, they are also extremely well made.

George

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:57 am »
A move is likely in the next month or two- the house I'm renting has been sold.  I'm not looking forward to moving but at least I'll have another chance to find the "perfect room." :lol:  My place is pretty well treated now, but I plan to try those RealTraps corner traps eventually.

AB

« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:20 pm »
I received one of the two Diffusors I ordered.

Here's a couple of pics.

The second will stand to the right of the first. That's a Mondotrap to the left. That's a door to the far right. I covered it over with a blanket to get a better pic.

The second should arrive on Monday. I will post impressions once it's in place but I have already noticed a slight difference in the forward/back placement of vocals center image.

These are far versions and the wells are virtually full depth. The backing panel is pretty thin - you can see light through it in the one pic.

I really like Ethans construction and materials.  You can tell a large amount of thought went into making these what they are for such a reasonable price.

The diffusor is light and not at all awkward looking. I can easily imagine 3 or 4 of these across the back or front of a room without them being too imposing or unattractive.

I 'll post more on Monday once the second is up and diffusing.
AB

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2006, 01:46 am by AB »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:30 pm »
AB,

I just unpacked three black diffusors and will be mounting them sometime in the next week.

I might just plop them on the floor and "see" what happens.

Ethan said the midpoint of each diffusor should be around ear level for optimum performance,  but I figure that even standing on the floor there should be a noticeable improvement.

George

MaxCast

« Reply #33 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:40 pm »
Be sure to let them break in at least 150 hours or so  :wink:

AB

« Reply #34 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:52 pm »
AB,

I just unpacked three black diffusors and will be mounting them sometime in the next week.

I might just plop them on the floor and "see" what happens.

Ethan said the midpoint of each diffusor should be around ear level for optimum performance,  but I figure that even standing on the floor there should be a noticeable improvement.

George

Excellent. Plop those puppies down and let them get to diffusing. With three in hand you have a much better opportunity to develop an opinion than I do with one.

The one here is 5' directly behind my listening spot and my ears are about 1/3 up or a bit more from the bottom of the diffusor.

So far I hear a slightly more forward center vocal that has a bit more "float". There might be a bit more quiet/air in the soundstage but I need to sit more to be sure.

Remember, I am the guy with the strange "comb filtering" effect that has the center image drifting forward or back with the turn of my head. Has this improved? Can't say for sure yet.

I look forward to your impressions.
AB
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2006, 11:06 pm by AB »

AB

« Reply #35 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:54 pm »

They way these are built I am simply glad they made it through the FedEx holiday rush without getting  "broken in".

Realtraps packed them super solidly but you know how that goes...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:56 pm »

If it was a normal winter here in New England, I could have left them in the garage to be frozen before "break in".   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:16 am »
Ok, I plopped two behind on a few of the boxes they shipped in and one infront between the speakers and between two windows on one of the styrofoam inserts.

I put on the cd I know and love best:

Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind

Well I didn't have to listen very long to hear the improvements.   :thumb:

-  Imaging and soundstage snapped into a much tighter focus.  I didn't think my sound was diffuse before, but by comparison it sure seems that way.

-  Increased clarity and detail. 

-  Better seperation and space between the instruements.

-  More body and presence (especially in the vocals).

-  Improved bass response.  Less overhang on the notes.

I am sure things will get even better when I get the diffusors properly placed and mounted.

Big thanks to Ethan for making a great product at a very fair price.

I'll try and post some pics soon.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #38 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:42 am »
Just for fun, get used to the sound with the panels in place for a while, then take them out. I've found that the difference then is quite a bit more apparent. More subtle putting them in, but not so subtle when they're suddenly removed.

Cheers

AB

« Reply #39 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:11 am »
I'm hearing;

Vocals are more intelligible.

Center image is better defined - be that vocals, drums or combinations of instruments.

Much greater soundstage depth. This is obvious and not subtle.

Bass does seem tighter/fuller and more a part of the SS.

Cymbals are now more often filling the center rather than occasionally hanging outside the center. In other words, they are where they should be in the SS most if not all of the time now.

The comb filtering "thing" is still there but reduced. Maybe the second diffusor will eliminate it.
Or maybe it's the ceiling reflections.

Wife walked right past the thing. Didn't even notice it. I suppose that's a good thing.