Absolute Sound's thoughts on Class D not ready for Prime Time?

95bcwh

Re: Absolute Sound's thoughts on Class D not ready for Prime Time?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2006, 02:54 pm »
i say amen celebrat, let your ears do the listening, no doubt people have there own agenda, and hi end is a big profit business, and its up to you to sort through the muck and put your system together with your ears telling your wallet to make the purchase, mike

Yes, agree that we have to let our ears decide, but I think my friend who has a high-end audio store selling gears between $2000 to $100000, probably make less money than another friend who own a 7-11! :?

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2006, 03:11 pm »

Yes, agree that we have to let our ears decide, but I think my friend who has a high-end audio store selling gears between $2000 to $100000, probably make less money than another friend who own a 7-11! :?
[/quote]
     unfortunately the Internet had a huge impact on the local hi-fi dealer, and thats a bad thing for us, because with so many that have gone belly up in most cases you take a shot on something you havent heard yet, cause the Internet has all of the gear, i can remember back in the day spending most saturdays hitting the audio stores in the new orleans area, those days are gone, thats progress i guess,  mike

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2006, 03:34 pm »
I felt the discussion was mostly controlled by "Krell". "If it cant produce a clean sine wave it is not a viable or complete format" to paraphrase our buddy, Dan D.

Actually, what Dan said was a square wave not sine wave -- huge difference. As an example, look at the toy thingy ($160) that JA measured a month or so ago in Stereophile. Why would anyone want to listen to music through it?

Of course his amps sound better than tube amps as well ...right? :lol: And pricing is so reasonable  :icon_lol:

Into certain speaker loads, a Krell with its lower output impedance, will sound more accurate to the source than a typical tube amp with an output impedance over 1 ohm. Of course, that may not be what you are interested in. High fidelity isn't the goal for everyone.

bummrush

« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2006, 04:14 pm »
About the only thing not ready for prime time would have been that article,

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2006, 05:45 pm »
Friends,

I get a kick out of all this audio industry hyperbole.  A handfull of so called "experts" pretending to forcast the future and appear to be "coaching" consumers with regards to what is acceptable technology for the market - Ha!   The fact is that Class D is here to stay - regardless of anybody's opinion (other than the folks plunking down the $$$ for it).

After looking back at my post, I feel I may have unintentionally ruffled some feathers.  In my statement above, "kick" is the operative word.  I meant that I am amused.  In fact, I am amused by a lot of the accepted views and opinions put forth in this market.  Nevertheless, I never meant to imply that any and/or all opinions are not of value and/or do not have merit in one form or another.

The Absolute Sound or any other publication exists for the primary purpose of expounding their views.  That is the service they provide to their readers and they have every right (in fact, if anything it is their duty) to express them.  In this particular issue I understand their basic intent and find no fault with it. Even if I did, that's just my opinion as well. 

The only issue I had was where I said they "appear" to be "coaching" their readers - and that is a matter of intent.  Only those involved know their real intent and what "appears" to be the case is a matter of perception upon the part of the reader.  In this case, seeing that I make no profession of psychic powers, I could have been totally wrong and if so... I sincerely apologize to those of TAS or anyone else for that matter.

Over-all, the few articles I have read from their publication have been pretty "spot on" in my opinion - more so that some others I am familiar with, for sure.  Of the major magazines available, they seem to me to be genuine and not fabricated by advertising influences.

As far as "prime time" goes...extreme controversy usually means the subject of such is already prime time.  A man wearing a green wedding dress is not going to make headlines very often in this day and age - unless his name happens to be Dennis Rodman.  Were he not already a good ball player, his "quirky" behavior would never become the subject of such debate or interest.

In that, I pose that if Class D amplifier technology was not already prime time technology and/or subject matter, the article by TAS has surely elevated it to that status now.  For that alone they should be commended. :thumb:

-Bob

jhm731

« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2006, 10:07 pm »
Judging from the number of Nuforce amps currently for sale on Audiogon, it seems the TAS reviews and articles have gotten
a lot of people to try Class D.

tex-amp

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2006, 08:20 am »
I just read that a couple of days ago. I thought it was about the same as if you had had Detroit comment in the late 70s on the viability of Japanese auto makers in the US market.