quick update on Olive's upcoming software update (VER 2.3)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: quick update on Olive's upcoming software update (VER 2.3)
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2006, 12:17 pm »
Awesome -- lightning fast, completely duplicates the operation of the front panel, and nice looking.

Hi ehart,

I agree and I'm really impressed!  :thumb:

OLIVE will have the "Official Launch" Monday, and it should be on the site then, with details and info about the new changes.

Hi John,

Do you know if Olive's official launch today will be any different than the 2.3 that we already downloaded last week? 

Thanks,

Vinnie

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2006, 03:53 pm »

OLIVE will have the "Official Launch" Monday, and it should be on the site then, with details and info about the new changes.

Hi John,

Do you know if Olive's official launch today will be any different than the 2.3 that we already downloaded last week? 

Thanks,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

It should be the same.  Today is just the day that (hopefully) they will have information about the new interface.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2006, 04:06 pm »
I see Olive just added this to their website:

http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=control

Olive Rondo. 

Is this identical to the Nokia 770?  They even have a link to purchase
it directly from Nokia.

VER 2.3 is now on the Olive website:
http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=03_02_update

And here is the description:
Changes in software version 2.3 from 10.23.2006
The 2.3 software runs on the Olive MUSICA, SYMPHONY and OPUS.

New web interface allows comprehensive control and adjustment of the music center
a) control of music (play, pause, stop, skip, volume, repeat, shuffle, playlists)
b) display of music information
c) configuration of all music center settings (network, import from CD, analog recording etc.)
d) download of software updates and user’s guide

New navigation structure on music center with more intuitive categorization.
WPA encryption is now supported and increases security.
Integrated UPnP/AV Client allows music center to access and stream music from an UPnP/AV Server (e.g. networked attached storage).
iTunes DAAP was optimized and allows faster and more reliable streaming between Olive’s music center and PC/Mac.

Looks like new compatibility with NAS as well!

brj

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2006, 04:11 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
I see Olive just added this to their website:

http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=control

Olive Rondo. 

Is this identical to the Nokia 770?  They even have a link to purchase it directly from Nokia.
If you follow the "Explore Olive | Rhondo" link and then the "Display" link, it appears that "Rhondo" is just the name of the control software and does not refer to any specfic hardware.  The Nokia 770 is just one particular platform that Rhondo supports.

Actually, the Rhondo interface looks familiar... I'm wondering if it a modified version of an existing open source project...

bgavinski

« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2006, 10:10 am »
Rondo (Version 2.3) is a big step forward indeed. However, it is erratic and slow on my Mac (both in Opera and Firefox) but this is something that was at least mentioned on the Hifidelio site. My solution: I should receive my new Nokia 770 tomorrow and I am assuming that will be a lot faster :D.

The major improvement in my opinion is the new ability of the Olive to act as a UPnP client. This means I can use TwonkyMusic (from www.TwonkyVision.com) as a server on any computer on my home network and I don't have to worry about necessarily trying to cram all my music onto the Olive's hard drive (or a USB drive directly attached to it). Also, TwonkyMusic is handy in that it recognizes FLAC files. (iTunes performs a similar function but the Olive does not play apple lossless files :duh:). The Olive/TwonkyMusic combination is not perfect, for example it mangles the "time remaining" info and progress bar while a track is playing, but it does allow network-wide streaming of lossless files to the Olive.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to create playlists using Rondo?

BG

jrebman

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2006, 12:12 pm »

The major improvement in my opinion is the new ability of the Olive to act as a UPnP client. This means I can use TwonkyMusic (from www.TwonkyVision.com) as a server on any computer on my home network and I don't have to worry about necessarily trying to cram all my music onto the Olive's hard drive (or a USB drive directly attached to it).

Which brings up an interesting topic which I'm having trouble finding any info on, eithere here or on squared circle, and that is if people are using NAS devices, which ones, and any info related to this.

I'd like to have a central NAS device that would ideally work for both the SB3 and Olive, and ideally not require my main computer to be running at all times (though the NAS device would be).  I only need FLAC and maybe mp3 for some spoken word content, so not interested in anything apple or microsoft.  I realize that in order to use slim server I need to have some kind of host, but it seems that some of these NAS devices, even the less expensive ones are based on a host running linux, and thus it may be possible for slim server to be loaded directly on the NAS, but I'm not sure about that.

Since I'm new to all this I'd also like to know if it is possible to rip to a single flac filename format that would work for both slim server and the Olive -- I don't want to duplicate all my content in order to be able to play it on both devices.

Basically, I'd like to rip my entire collection to a central server which would operate independently of my main computer and then be have the ability to access it with both an SB3 and Olive Symphony.  I'd also prefer to hardwire the server as opposed to a wireless, and I'd probably want at least  400-500gB storage, but could start smaller and expand as necessary.

TIA for any tips, pointers, links, etc. that would get me going on this.  I have a Vinnie modded SB3 on the way and plan to get an Olive sometime in the not-too-distant future so would like to get going on a server and ripping my collection pretty soon.

Thanks,

Jim

ehart

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2006, 03:58 pm »
Hi all,

On the NAS question, I suggest searching over at Audiogon (the "PC Audio" forum) and on the slimdevices.com forums.  There are lots of discussions of NAS in both those places, including vendors, how to make it work, etc.  Nothing olive-specific of course, as that feature is very new.

As for speed, I find the Rondo to be *very* fast when running on an XP PC.  It's almost spooky.  A tune starts playing almost before you click on the play button.  And the interface zips right around.  Sorry to hear it's not better on a Mac.

As for playlists -- try doing what you do on the Olive front panel (which is non-intuitive).  That is, create the playlist first (empty).  Then highlight the song, and choose "add to list" (you may have to go down a step or two to find this option).  Then you choose the list you are adding to.  So you have to start from the song, not from the list.  Let me know if that works -- I will try it at home this evening.  I'm pretty sure it will work this way -- I was manipulating genres last night, and they follow the front panel interface (quirky) closely.  This is not the strongest part of the Olive interface.

- Eric

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2006, 04:47 pm »

BTW, has anyone figured out how to create playlists using Rondo?

BG

Eric is correct.

1) Click on LIBRARY
2) Click on Playlists
3) Click on any of the "folders" with arrows pointing at them
4) A menu will come up that offers New. Add to list, Rename.  Click on NEW and type in the name of the play list.
5) Then begin placing songs in the list by doing the following:

1) Go to your music library and find the song/cut you want
2) Click on the "folder" with arrows pointing at them and it will ask you if you want to add the song, click on add
3) It will then take you to the "playlist" and again Click on the "folder" with arrows pointing at them and it will ask you if you want to add the song, click on add
4) Then use your browsers "back arrow" to get back to you music library.

bgavinski

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2006, 08:08 pm »
Eric and John,

Thanks for the info on the Playlists. I think (I'm not at home to test my theory) my playlist issue has to do with the fact that I was in my Twonky (remote) library not in the onboard Olive library. It occurs to me that the default Twonky file structure is probably not the same as the Olive file structure and and that might cause all kinds of problems. Figuring out the software issues will give me something do while I listen to the superb sounds emanating from Vinnie's products and modified products (also Louis' speakers).

John,

I am not familiar with nas. I'm using TwonkyMusic on a MacMini with a several firewire hard disks as storage (I'm up to about a terabyte!). The MacMini is pretty well dedicated to music and video.

BG