GK-1 and the length of interconnects

Larry

« on: 21 Jun 2003, 08:45 am »
Hi, Hugh,

Once you said GK-1 can drive a very long interconnect. How long is very long on your ruler?

or does anyone use a "very" long interconnect with GK-1?

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2003, 01:28 pm »
Hi Larry,

Up to 15 metres, no problem at all!

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2003, 12:17 am »
Quote from: AKSA

Up to 15 metres, no problem at all!

Does that mean it does not cause the amplifier to fail or audible differences?

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2003, 01:54 am »
Larry,

This depends on the degree of RF shielding in the long interconnect.  If unshielded, there will be considerable RF pickup from nearby radio and TV stations, which will burden the amp with emissions and likely cause trouble, at least a loss of resolution, and at worst a destroyed output stage.

If shielded interconnects are used, RF pickup will not be a problem, and the GK-1 will easily accommodate the reactance of the cable because the Zout is just 120R and a tube is very tolerant of reactance effects.  You might be half a dB down at 20KHz, but nothing you'd ever notice.

The technology of audio/video/whatever is generally so complex these days that we are tempted to look at individual components in isolation.  To a degree, this is OK, but the overall picture is the significant issue here;  we are looking at a system, with all its complex interactions and interdependencies.  This is really difficult to grasp, so in truth most of these questions are best addressed empirically.  Try it.  You'll soon see if it works!

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2003, 06:38 am »

This depends on the degree of RF shielding in the long interconnect.  If unshielded, there will be considerable RF pickup from nearby radio and TV stations, which will burden the amp with emissions and likely cause trouble, at least a loss of resolution, and at worst a destroyed output stage.

I don't think RF is the major problem here as its amplitude is at uV level, not to mention its fruquences. The major problem is the close-frield interference that is at mV level. But anyway this is another issue.

The technology of audio/video/whatever is generally so complex these days that we are tempted to look at individual components in isolation. To a degree, this is OK, but the overall picture is the significant issue here; we are looking at a system, with all its complex interactions and interdependencies. This is really difficult to grasp, so in truth most of these questions are best addressed empirically. Try it. You'll soon see if it works!  

Here the issue in question is about one single factor in a given system. My understanding of the claim of the ability of dring a long interconnect is that the length of the interconnect with this preamp will not change the synergy of the whole system in a considerable way. If it does, all preamps do so that all preamps can claim of being able to drive long interconnects, if one doesn't mind they change the system's interactions and interdependendencies.

In my case, I am thinking of linking it up to another room that runs about more than 10m long. The shielded twisted pair interconnect I am using costs $25 dollars per meter so that it's not sensible for me to pay hundreds of dollars for just trying without an expected result. So, we have this forum to share experience with someone who might have.

Am I right to say that, when you said it can drive 15m, you did not personally try it or you tried it but  found that , empirically, it does drive 15m interconnects without audible differences with some systems, while it does change the sound with some other systems, hence your mention of components interactions? When you claim the GK-1 can drive 15m, I expect that it can drive 15m and 1m without audible differences in any systems. If it does make differences, all preamps can claim it can drive 15m as well as 1m in any systems, but with audible differences. Maybe my understanding is not right.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2003, 08:14 am »
Why don't you try it with some cheap wire first? :idea:

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2003, 08:26 am »
Larry,

I have not done listening tests with 15m interconnects.

I have done impedance checks with 10m + cables and noted the increase in Zout is merely the addition of the resistance of the wire and the Zout of the GK-1.

All the physics points to a potentially strong influence on the sonics from some interconnects of this length.  But with the tube topology used, I am aware from my reading and anecdotal information that this output configuration will have less susceptibility to adverse sonics than any other.

You need to decide if this is an outrageous claim.  In the absence of conclusive empirical evidence it is difficult to say until you do it.  Accordingly, I have qualified my comments, but because I have not done listening tests with 15m interconnects I cannot promise predicable results with all systems.  Larry, think about this - how on earth could I, when people report significant differences with 1.5m intereconnects?  I've done most things with audio, but not all of it......! (more's the pity, I'm working on it!)

However, let's be constructive and solve the problem.  Make a 15m length of twisted pair CAT5 cable, and try it out.  Keep the wire linear, not coiled.  It will cost you about $AUD10, and will conclusively demonstrate in your system whether or not the concept is viable.  If the effects are minimal, then extend the concept to more expensive material to lessen the effect further.  If it were me, I'd be acquiring some satellite dish coax and cross connecting it as in Thorsten Loesch's configuration;  this is fairly cheap, a lot lower than $25 a metre, and should give excellent results.

I hope this is helpful, but I am unable to give assurances that unconditional addition of a 15m interconnect on the GK-1 will go well with any system.  That would be neither prudent nor honest!

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2003, 11:40 am »
Hugh,

Yes, Sir, the answer is very clear to me now. I will try it myself, if there will be no one coming up later and saying he has tried it and bla bla.

Why didn't I think out trying it with a cheaper wire first?  :banghead:  Thanks, JohnR too. (but the wire should not be so cheap, in audio terms, that the length of the wire plays too much a role, in particular, if there would be audible differences displayed.)

I do have satellite cables around (I used it for my sat, speaker and digital.) But it seems difficult to make a 15m interconnect from sat cables with Thorsten Loesch's configuration.

U4EA

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2003, 02:20 pm »
I have my DVD hooked into my 2 channel system via a 25 ft pair of interconnects.  It is not a problem.  That said, I have never hooked the dvd up to a shorter pair and compared the sonics.  I do not notice anything missing or bad though.

Regis B

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2003, 05:35 pm »
Larry,

If shielded interconnects are used, RF pickup will not be a problem, and the GK-1 will easily accommodate the reactance of the cable because the Zout is just 120R and a tube is very tolerant of reactance e ...

Could almost drive some headphone directly.   :idea:  Or with some help from a transformer.