Can anyone help with some old speaker drivers?

bluesky

Can anyone help with some old speaker drivers?
« on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:59 am »
Hi Everyone

I am trying to source some free speaker drivers (aren't we all........LOL). 

I do voluntary literacy tutoring at my local high school and have come up with a plan for an activity with a couple of students I work with.  I always seem to be given "problem boys" to work with and I have found that if I can get an activity that actually interests them suddenly learning isn't so bad after all.

Here's the plan, it would come as no surprise that teenage boys are really into Playstation games, so.....

We are going to build a couple of small speakers to go with the Playstation.  They have to research this and draw up a plan (which they have to write up) and then I will cut the panels for the speakers out at home.  It is then their job to assemble it.  At the end of this they will then do a small presentation of the project to their parents and then their class. 

The two kids I work with have really responded to this idea and are actually working on their holidays to do "Playstation research" such as what sort of sounds do they produce, if they are two channel or multi channel etc.  This requires them to read to find out the answers but because its about Playstations it doesn't seem such a chore anymore. :lol:

So, if anyone can donate a couple of old speaker drivers this would be great.  They certainly don't have be audiophile stuff just something that works.  Please PM me if you can help, I'll pay any shipping costs so it won't cost you anything.

Thanks

Bluesky 

Andy G

Re: Can anyone help with some old speaker drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2006, 09:26 am »
Where are you?

I have a pair of old Richter boxes, bare chipboard cos the vinyl peeled off. I replaced the dead main drivers with some elcheapo woofers.
The tweeters are still good, but the speakers require some x-o work which i really couldn't be bothered with. 

Your cost.. $ 000,000.00

I'm in Newcastle.

bluesky

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2006, 11:06 am »
Hi Andy

These will be fine, thanks heaps. :thumb:

I live in Brisbane nd will PM you with my details.

Bluesky

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2006, 12:22 pm »
Bluesky, I don't have any extras, however, I've got an idea....
Your local automotive stereo installer most likely has plenty of extra OEs laying around from when they've upgraded someone's car speakers.

Just a thought.

Bob

jules

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2006, 10:29 pm »
Nice plan bluesky. I've been in that situation myself. I'm sure they'll be really pleased with improved playstaion sound. Just don't mention subs .......

Jules

Andy G

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2006, 11:05 pm »
Hey Bluesky,

I'll nip up to PacSend and see how much it will cost to send them up to Brissie. 
(Uni student, so probably can't spring for the freight)

I'll be glad to find a home for them.. they are sorta in the way !!

ps.. my email addy is in my profile

AG

bluesky

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2006, 08:37 am »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your response and advice, its appreciated and the idea of asking car installers is a good one and I will follow this up.

Andy G, just PM me about getting some money to you to cover any shipping expenses.

Cheers

Bluesky 

TG

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2006, 01:03 pm »
Hi,

Don't know if they would be of any use, but I have a couple of Radio Shack 8" full-range speakers you can have.  Benefit is that no crossover is needed - just pop them in sealed enclosures and hang them off an amp, but maybe you're looking for something more sophisticated?

They don't sound half bad, actually - I used them for experimenting with Voight tubes enclosures, but that was ages ago and they've just been sitting in the workshop since.

Cheers

Andy G

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2006, 03:15 pm »
what does PM mean?? 

Oh and, I won't get to the PacSend people til Tuesday at the earliest, possible Wednesday.

No time, no time at all... as the white rabbit sayeth!!

AG

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:28 am »
what does PM mean?? 

PM = Personal Message

Click on the "posters" name, and toward the bottom you'll see something like "send this member a personal message". Whatever you write/type will ONLY be seen by that person. Hence the phrase Personal Message:wink:

Enjoy

Bob

jules

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2006, 07:01 am »
 :D, yes Andy, you've probably got a box full ....

After you've logged on, check/click on, the "my messages" tab at the top og the page. There's one there from me too.

Jules

Andy G

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:21 pm »
found, thanks !!  I will try to remember it exists  :oops:

bluesky

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2006, 10:14 am »
Hi TG

My apologies for the delay in responding, my computer got a virus, I had to get it fixed and have just got it back from the local computer shop today.

Thanks heap for your offer!  I will pay shipping and will PM you with my details.

My students will be very happy indeed!  :D

Cheers

Bluesky

Andy G

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:27 pm »
Hey Bluesky,  do you still want these old boxes, or are you getting the Rat Shack 8" ?

jules

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2006, 10:21 pm »
How'd the project go bluesky?

Did the "problem boys" find the incentive of PS sound enough to get them interested in the tech approach to their goal?

Jules