navi

Bel Canto DAC3
« on: 28 Sep 2006, 04:47 am »
Has any heard the Bel Canto DAC 3?

I'm interested in getting one- It has:
USB input
XLR outputs
Digital Volume Control.

Just wanted to know peoples thoughts that have heard it or know of any reviews.

Ivan.

jethro

Re: Bel Canto DAC3
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2006, 11:27 pm »
Has any heard the Bel Canto DAC 3?

Yes. I am currently demo-ing one in my Bryston SP-1.7/PMC system. Very nice DAC.
Full treble and bass extension, nice midrange but not too thick nor too thin.
Better separation than my current DAC on bass lines. A little confusing with the
single volume controller. I'm very impressed. In my non-expert opinion it's
quite a bit better than the Benchmark DAC1, but just a tiny bit better than the
Bryston's SP-1.7 DACs.

navi

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:41 pm »
jethro

what do you mean by a little confusing with the single volume controller?

did you try the USB input?

Ivan.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2006, 01:52 pm »

what do you mean by a little confusing with the single volume controller?

The DAC3 has a single control knob that performs different functions.  You switch functions by pressing the knob...depending on whether you press the knob and hold it, versus press the knob quickly, it does different things, so it definitely takes a little getting used to if you're using it as a preamp to select among difference sources as well as a volume control...

jethro

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2006, 09:45 pm »
If I had carefully read the manual then I wouldn't have had any problems. As it was it only took me about
2 minutes to get it working. The DAC3 is one solid unit and the control knob is very solid feeling. It's also nice to have a component that doesn't rock on its shelf.

I haven't tried the USB port. I hope to get a chance tonight.

I really wish the S300iu had a SPDIF DAC option as it would be the perfect setup for a second office/bedroom system.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:10 am »
I have listened to one. Do not judge it too much until it has some serious hours on it.

My opinion.... I would buy it in a heart beat. That is assuming I have a LOT of money. I would rather have this unit than upgrade speakers in many cases. I compared it to a Music Fidelity CD player... The CD player, XRAY v8, sounded like a $100 Denon in comparrison. I wish I could of compared it to the McIntosh MCD201, but I am pretty sure it would smoke it anyhow.

A jump to the DAC3 would be nice for systems that cost less than it....

I tried to find reviews on it but not much came up. I am curious how it stacks with a Benchmark. I would not be surprized if it was better. I also wonder if it could be modded some... I did find reviews saying it was Wadia cd player good, which I believe, not that I give a rats ass about Wadia. Buy a harddrive, SB, mod it, and a DAC3 and have enough money left over for fiddle sticks worth of stuff instead of buying a Wadia.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2006, 09:27 pm »
I listened to it again today and I think it might need to be on a power conditioner to really get full bennys.

I am not sure if it was better than the McIntosh. Unfortunately I was also using an optic cable. I want to try a BNC and on the power conditioner to give it a real shot. The thing cost more than the McIntosh but hey never know.

jethro

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:09 am »
I bought the DAC3 that I demo'd. After listening to it for a while
I still agree with my previous post. I did try it a bit with the USB
port. Windows XP picks it up as a device and everything worked fine.
I haven't played with it enough to comment on the sound quality thru
USB, although I expect it is at least as good as SPDIF.

I have been using it in variable volume mode because I can't seem
to get enough volume in fixed mode for my preamp. I'm guessing
that the fixed mode is meant for balanced connections which I
don't have.

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2006, 02:50 pm »

I have been using it in variable volume mode because I can't seem
to get enough volume in fixed mode for my preamp. I'm guessing
that the fixed mode is meant for balanced connections which I
don't have.

Here's one quirk that bugs me sometimes about the DAC3, but may help you use the fixed mode.  Every time you turn the DAC3 off, it resets the volume to 65.0.  So when you turn it back on, you have to set the volume to variable, turn it up to 100.0, and *then* set it back to fixed mode.  Setting it to "fixed" mode basically makes it so that the knob doesn't change the volume anymore....

jethro

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:02 am »
Thanks Phil. I should have read the manual which in fact explains
the use of the fixed output mode. This is kind of a nice feature.
I expected that the fixed mode would just bypass a lot of circuitry
resulting in full volume. Obviously I have mistakenly set my fixed
volume at 65 so I have to turn up my pre-amp to scary levels.

Thanks, Steve

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2006, 12:05 am »
If it uses relay resister network for volume then there is no need for bypass. I think adjustable fixed is better anyhow (option of "gain"). Also why turn it off? It probably sound better left on, and should not draw much power.

sonofcolin

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2007, 12:05 am »
Ivan,

I use the DAC3 in my system with Bel Canto Ref1000's via XLR. I also use a Laptop (powerbook) connected via USB with itunes and a Bolder modified SB3. I think this DAC is the really good. I am really very impressed by the USB/itunes setup as I much prefer the itunes interface over slimserver. Couldn't ask for more from this setup.