Sumiko cartridges?

Hantra

Sumiko cartridges?
« on: 20 Jun 2003, 01:43 am »
Anyone had experience with the Sumiko cartridges?

I met their Technical Director today, and he is one of the most knowledgeable guys I have ever talked to.  He developed most of their tables, and cartridges.  

So, I was wondering how they fare compared to comparably priced cartridges from other vendors.  Do they have a "house sound"?

Thx!

B

michael w

Sumiko cartridges?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2003, 02:11 am »
I've used their cheepie Blue Point Special for several years now.

It was originally bought as a temp while my Koetsu went off to get rebuilt.
I was shocked by how good it was and in some important areas it bested the old Koetsu. So the Koestsu has stayed in the draw and I'm now onto my second BPS.

Even compared to the increasing competition it is superb value for money.
I prefer the BPS to similarly priced Grado, Benz and Dynavector rivals.

House sound ?
Lively, dynamic, musical.

Be careful where you put it though.
Although "cheap" it will let you know when you have it incorrectly setup or placed in an unsuitable system.

The high output is a boon in terms of dynamics and low noise and makes the cartridge suitable for those using low gain phono stages such as those in many tube preamps.

cheerio

doug s.

• makin' music
Sumiko cartridges?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:32 pm »
yup, the sumiko cartridges are definitely nice for the $$$.  but, i would also look at the ortofon & audio-technica cartridges in this price-range.  i have no direct experience w/the a-t's, this is based upon the word of others.  re: the ortofon's, i replaced my sumiko blu-point w/a similarly priced ortofon mc25-fl, (they may be a bit more $$$ now, tho...), and it bested the sumiko in all areas.  it's really low-output, tho, so keep this in mind.  but, there's also other hi-output ortofon m/c's that are highly recommended.  i have a lyra clavis, freshly rebuilt by vdh, still sitting in its box, cuz i am content to listen w/the ortofon...  for great pricing on new cartridges, search for 2juki on audiogon...

doug s.

Hantra

Sumiko cartridges?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:51 pm »
Doug:

What does VDH get for a rebuild these days?  Do they do the suspension as well?  

I blasted the cantilever off my Goldmund/Clearaudio cartridge.  

What about the Aurum Beta S.  Since I am trading the Clearaudio, I can get 25% off it, and people talk highly even though it's a MM. . .

Thx!

B

michael w

Sumiko cartridges?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2003, 01:02 am »
Hantra;

While third party re-tippers (most do not rebuild cartridges) generally do a good job, their efforts often do not sound like the original, simply because they will not have access to the same components as the original builders.

Over the years I've heard re-tipped Koetsus by VDH, Garrott Bros. and none of them sounded like the original.

cheerio

doug s.

• makin' music
Sumiko cartridges?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2003, 02:01 am »
hantra, this guy has gotten a lot of positive feedback:

http://website.lineone.net/~the_cartridge_man/

dunno the cost of the rebuild, i got mine awreddy done-up, from klaus of audio odyssey, see below...

re: cartridges sounding different after a rebuild by someone other than factory, that may not always be a bad thing.  klause of odyssey audio, where i got my rebuilt lyra from, said it's actually nicer than the original - kinda a cross between the original & the helikon, taking strengths from both.  not being familiar w/either, & yust wanting a taste of hi-end cartridges on the cheap, i went for it...  some day, i may actually try it!   :)

doug s.