T8 and T7

guest1632

T8 and T7
« on: 21 Sep 2006, 11:06 am »
Hi Frank,

Looks like the original "T8" was pulled along with my question.

What is the difference in sound between the T8 and the T7? I am presuming that the T7 is your flagship of the preamp line. So what would I be giving up if I got the T8? Or would I even be doing that??

A bit off topic, but have you considered doing a tour with a T7 and an amp? Might get some more exposure too.

Regards,
Ray

Listens2tubes

Re: T8 and T7
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2006, 11:26 am »
The T8 replaced the T5,T6 & T7 in Frank's line up. For a comparison of current offerings go here:http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/comparison_grid.htm

guest1632

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:10 pm »

Hi, I did read the stuff there in the link. That really doesn't tell me much. Thanks.

Ray
The T8 replaced the T5,T6 & T7 in Frank's line up. For a comparison of current offerings go here:http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/comparison_grid.htm

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:44 pm »
Humm, a "tour" with some of our equipment sounds interesting, maybe to warmer parts when winter hits here later this year.

Take a look at our web site (www.avahifi.com) again please, for current information.

The Ultra EC and SL hybrid preamps replaced the T7 series with new looks and new boards using multiple active regulators, one for each half of each tube and more.  Sound better than ever.

The T8 all tube unit is new, using the same power supplies as the Ultra series, providing the best pure tube performance we can do at a lower price than the hybrids. It is difficult to explain the sonic differences verbally, we suspect some will feel uneasy with anything except a pure tube setup.  I like the Ultras better because I hear even better musical purity, but some might like the T8 better, hard to say.  Both series are outstanding.

The T5, T6, and T7 are discontinued as is all production in the small (12 x 3.5 x 11) chassis.

Hope this is helpful.

We will have both the T8 and the Ultra EC and SL at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest next month, along with Fet Valve Ultra amplifiers and an Ultimate 70 or two.  Might even have a pre-production prototype of a new OmegaStar control amp if all goes well.  We will be sharing a display room with Jim Salk using his marvelous Veracity speakers.  See you there we hope.

Frank Van Alstine

gregmav

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2006, 07:09 am »
Excuse me, but did Frank mention a new "Omega Star" control amp?  Frank, could you share any info about this new product?  With it have stereo/mono switches, like the other Omega Star, Ultra and Transcedence Preamps?

Greg

avahifi

New OmegaStar EX control amplifier
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:30 pm »
Well gee, somebody noticed!   :)

Yes, there is a new OmegaStar integrated amplifier.

It uses the new big SL chassis and has all the same functions as our other SL series preamplifiers.

See: http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/omegastar_sl_preamp.htm

It combines an OmegaStar SL preamplifier active line stage and an OmegaStar 170EX amplifier section (small version and identical sound to our other larger OmegaStar amplifiers).

It makes about 80 watts per channel and is very quiet, and very clear and dynamic.  Better performance than we had hoped for.

In addition to all our normal preamp connections and functions, it has preamp out and power amp in jacks, so each section can be used separately if desired, and of course speaker output jacks.

The price is $1499 ($200 less than the price of our lowest cost separates).  Remote control is a $299 option.  We have not tested a phono section in this unit yet but will offer this too ($149 option) if the noise floor is satisfactory in this environment.

We can build you one now.

Frank Van Alstine

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2006, 03:19 pm »
Sounds like a winner! Now if only AVA made a tuner, I wouldn't need to shop anywhere else.  :P

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2006, 05:50 am »
Could you make it with the 240/3EX?  I think my little VMPS speakers need more juice.  I like how short it is.  Better WAF   aa