OB 5 or 7 Reviews

Zero

Re: OB 5 or 7 Reviews
« Reply #40 on: 24 Nov 2006, 11:46 pm »
Looks absolutely fantastic - another project that makes me wish I had the skills necessary to do something like this!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #41 on: 26 Nov 2006, 01:01 am »

No big deal.

Just make up the lack of skill with cash. Get Raw Acoustics to make you up a pair.   8)

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #42 on: 26 Nov 2006, 05:36 am »
Well, my OB 5's have been burning in since this afternoon. The first thing that strikes you is the mid range. Particularly the vocal region. Very different. They are starting to settle in a bit now. Even after a couple of hours, they've smoothed out quite a bit. The bass is starting to come in a bit stronger now.

I have to admit, I was sceptical of the break in phenomenon. But having built numerous speakers, they do change. These speakers are very revealing. I will be comparing these with my well broken in AV/3's that Danny designed as well.

I will give my thoughts on the OB 5's after a few weeks of running them. My initial thoughts when I built the AV/3's were not accurate, I listened to them pretty critically when I first fired them up, and my impressions did not hold up over the weeks. So I will wait to be critical of these. I can tell you that they are unique sounding. But having said that, there is a familiarity to me. I find Danny does not hype up the top end. It never sizzles a hole in your head. The mid range, smooth. And fast, detailed bass, as well as good low end extention.

Tomorrow, we will have these running through, my set-up, with ATI amp, then with Odyssey Mono blocs, then McAlister Audio mono blocs, as well as different pre, CDP configurations, so it'll be neat to listen to them with different gear and see how they react to different set-ups.

There will be plenty of people here from AudioCircle, so I'm sure they'll post their thoughts as well.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2006, 06:32 am by Daygloworange »

S Clark

« Reply #43 on: 26 Nov 2006, 08:37 pm »
R-Ronnie,
You have done a beautiful job on those OB-5's-congratulations.  What is the front panel made of? Although I have absolutely fallen in love with the LS-6's, I don't really have room for them.  Perhaps a copy of what you have done with yours is just what the doctor ordered.
S Clark

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #44 on: 26 Nov 2006, 09:59 pm »

Hey Clark:

The front baffles are 2-3/4" baltic birch lamenated together.

If I was going to do the project over again I would probably continue the routered roundover on the front baffle all the way down and around the bottom before glueing to the cab. Then have that front of the baffle stick out in front of the cab the amount of the roundover. It would give the whole speaker a more 3-D look.

I had wanted to get the whole 1.5" width of the baffle glued to the sides since I have to move the speakers for serious listening, and knew I was going to grabbing on that baffle.

I know those Line Stages would be awesome, but believe me, the OB's are no slouches. They look the business, and deliver.

If you did what I did and have the cabinate sides glued to the baffle edges, and you kept the original tweeter height Danny designed, then you could shorten the depth of the cab from 15" to say 13.5" That is just a guess, you would have to do the math. I think that would look nicer, not having such a deep bass cab.

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #45 on: 27 Nov 2006, 03:13 am »
My OB 5's got their debut today with less than 8 hours break in. They got a lot, and I mean a lot, of positive reviews. ( As well as his PR sub.)

Great job on these Danny!  :green: I'm very, very pleased so far. :thumb:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2006, 06:33 am by Daygloworange »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #46 on: 27 Nov 2006, 03:25 am »
Danny (Daygloworange) those OB5 Speakers were the hit of the show

I would have loved to hear them with the Mc Calister Tube Monoblocks

Hmmm I wonder how they would sound with my Dodds  :wink:

You'll have to bring by the Dodds. Danny uses all Dodd stuff. Pre, power amp, power conditioner. I'd love to hear the OB 5's the way he does.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2006, 06:34 am by Daygloworange »

bluemike

« Reply #47 on: 27 Nov 2006, 03:37 am »
That could be arranged  :xmas:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #48 on: 27 Nov 2006, 03:50 am »
Awesome. Done deal. :thumb:

Cheers

mpauly

« Reply #49 on: 27 Nov 2006, 04:20 am »
Any close up shots and more detailed review/comparisons?

Michael

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #50 on: 27 Nov 2006, 06:26 am »
There was a member named Donny, who's a pro photographer, who took a ton of pics. I'm sure there will be lots to follow.

Cheers

scorpion

« Reply #51 on: 27 Nov 2006, 10:10 pm »
Hey Danny,

Just to have a question answered, why crossover at 1800 Hz to BG Neo3 PDR  with your OB-5 ?

/Erling

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 28 Nov 2006, 12:58 am »
Just to have a question answered, why crossover at 1800 Hz to BG Neo3 PDR  with your OB-5 ?

Where else would I cross it?

The woofers will play flat to 6kHz and is only 5db down at 10kHz. I could have crossed it anywhere, but there are a lot of reasons as to why it is crossed at the 1.8kHz range.

First of all the diaphragm on the Neo 3 pdr is much smaller (only 5/8" wide opening) and its off axis response is much better than that of the woofers. By handing off early to the Neo I get an even power response that is very consistent off axis. If the woofers were to play higher then the off axis response would suffer.

An even off axis response will give you an even in room response.

To illustrate have a look at a full range (or really wide band) driver like the B200. Besides the fact that the top octave is already taking a nose dive, it has a very limited off axis response. Move off axis and the higher ranges really fall away quickly. All of the lower ranges have much better off axis response due to the longer wave lengths. So you will collectively get some gain in the lower ranges from the room, but the higher ranges will give you only what you hear if you are sitting right in front of them. So the power response of the whole room will be even further down in the top end that it already is.

Letting the Neo handle as much as possible as soon as possible is a good idea just from this prospective alone. But wait there's more. :-)

The Neo tweeter has a much lighter weight diaphragm and will play much higher and faster than a woofer. By fast I am referring also to spectral decay. It has much less stored energy and inertia and will be much cleaner. It is also faster in that it will play much higher.

As good and as fast as the small woofer are, they are no match for the Neo tweeters.

BTW, if you want to know how fast a driver is, you just have to look at how high it will play. To cover a high frequency range a driver must move very quickly as the wavelengths are very short. Its ability to move quickly will determine if it can play high or not. If the mass is too heavy and/or it lacks sufficient motor strength to move it then it won't play up high.

If you compare the detail and resolution of the M-130/16 woofer to any good tweeter from 2kHz and up, the tweeter will win every time. With a tweeter like the Neo 3 it wins easily.

Then there is another factor. Everything is a compromise. What I mean by that is that one driver or pair of drivers being feed a wide bandwidth signal has to do a lot all at once. A B200 driver for instance is having to play the lows and the highs at the same time. The problem is that the lower wavelengths force the driver to move in long exertions. Then at the same time it is having to do many smaller ones to play the higher range at the same time. The longer exertions and the amount of power it receives to make it try to play the longer exertions override everything else. It has to make some compromises along the way to try to cover it all.

You see, my A/V-1 sounds great (a two way design) and has REALLY good midrange, but if I make a three way design out of it and delegate 150Hz and down to some other (larger) driver and relieve the M-130 from having to play those lower ranges (like my A/V-4 kit) then the midrange gets even better than it was before. The M-130 no longer has to make a such a large compromise.

The same goes with the highs. The faster I can get the highs handed off to a driver more capable of covering them, the better. And the Neo 3 is so good, so clean, and so fast that from 1,8kHz and up there is not a lot that compares to it. No woofer is going to cover from 1.8kHz to whatever, any better than a Neo 3. Even a design that crosses to the tweeter at 2.5kHz or 3kHz is no comparison because from the 1.8kHz range all the way up to the 2.5 or 3khz range you would be comparing the woofer in one speaker to the Neo 3 in this speaker. There is no comparison.

If the natural roll of and acoustic slopes allowed the Neo 3 to be crossed even lower then I would.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #53 on: 28 Nov 2006, 04:55 am »
Recommended procedure for correct auditioning of the OB 5. Please follow directions carefully for best results.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32164.msg301826;topicseen#new

Cheers

Jampot

« Reply #54 on: 28 Nov 2006, 06:04 am »
Where else would I cross it? etc, etc,

Then there is another factorIf the natural roll of and acoustic slopes allowed the Neo 3 to be crossed even lower then I would.

A lucid explanation Danny, I'm sure I won't be the only member who appreciates your effort, thankyou.

Jim

LoudandClear

« Reply #55 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:42 am »
Danny,

Thanks for the detailed and well constructed response. It makes a lot of sense and helps us "tune in" to the design goals for the OB-5 given the constraints inherent with today's speaker technology.

The OB5's (&LS-6's!) definitely have me intrigued!

Getting back to the 1800Hz Xover on the OB-5. Would you have chosen a different Xover frequency if you were concerned with the performance of the speaker *only* from the vantage of the (selfish & lonesome) "sweetspot"?

I am thinking ahead here, if it would make any sense to have a speaker (ie OB5) with a Xover switch for "Group" and "Solo" modes?

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 28 Nov 2006, 04:41 pm »
Getting back to the 1800Hz Xover on the OB-5. Would you have chosen a different Xover frequency if you were concerned with the performance of the speaker *only* from the vantage of the (selfish & lonesome) "sweetspot"?

Nope, there is no making it better regardless of sitting position. I'd push it lower if the tweeter could handle it but that is about the limit.

You should hear the new LS-6. It crosses to the tweeters at 1kHz. It's incredible.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #57 on: 28 Nov 2006, 06:34 pm »

Gulp.

Stop messing with us Danny.

Rocket_a line stage wannabee_Ronny

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #58 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:30 pm »

No big deal.

Just make up the lack of skill with cash. Get Raw Acoustics to make you up a pair.   8)

Rocket_Ronny

Beautiful speakers Ronny!  I am in the process of building mine right now.  I'm sure glad I saw this thread.  My design is very similar to yours where I'm keeping the mtm section completely open.  And I was going to run the wires exposed behind the drivers until I saw your design.  I'm really taking my time on this project.  I originally was going to veneer mine similar to what Al Wooley did but I also saw some other speakers he did with the spray bed liner in black.  I really liked them and I will trim the sides  and bottom front with wood that matches the furniture in that room.  I'll take pictures once I'm done.  If I screw them up then I guess I'll need to give RAW a call :icon_lol:

Your thoughts on the sound has me very exited by the way.  I'll be replacing Paradox 3's.

clarke68

• http://www.robinsononline.com/clarke
« Reply #59 on: 28 Nov 2006, 09:49 pm »
Nice job Ronny, love the maple and the completely open, boxless look.  :thumb:

In the pictures it looks like you're running those just a few inches from the wall behind them...how far are they really? How finicky are these about placement?