OB 5 or 7 Reviews

klh

Re: OB 5 or 7 Reviews
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2006, 01:16 am »
Danny,

WRT to the WMTMW OB-C (center)... have you tested this model? A couple questions...

Will the horizontal off axis response of the woofer portion be a concern given they are spaced so far from each other? I realize this may not be a problem if they cross over to the open baffle portion at a low enough frequency. How good is the horizontal off axis response for the open baffle component? The horizontal baffle width would be much larger than I've seen with other open baffle speakers. Won't the the enclosures that house the woofers also affect horiontal off axis response of the open baffle portion? The idea of this speaker is nice, but I'm a bit hesitant until proven. Hopefully my concern is ill founded.

I'm also keen on your two other ideas, but likewise have concerns about how well a sealed center (of either variety) will integrate with the OB-5 or OB-7. Hopefully we'll get impressions from kit buyers, too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:12 pm »
Will the horizontal off axis response of the woofer portion be a concern given they are spaced so far from each other?

The woofers cross to the open baffle mid-bass drivers at around 200Hz. So their spacing from each other will not be an issue.

How good is the horizontal off axis response for the open baffle component?

Center to center spacing is about 10" apart. So you are good to about 20 degrees off axis before it really starts effecting the response.

Won't the the enclosures that house the woofers also affect horiontal off axis response of the open baffle portion?

No.

I'm also keen on your two other ideas, but likewise have concerns about how well a sealed center (of either variety) will integrate with the OB-5 or OB-7.

The O-3 is ported. This one is a bit of a shocker. It sounds unbelievably good and would be great as a center. It has a very consistent response even way off axis.

smk5r

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:19 pm »
Danny,

Would it be possible to arrange the OB3 in a more horizontal center channel alignment with the woofers still facing upwards so that it could be placed under a projector screen?

By the way, the Electra Cable interconnects I received are fantastic--in my system and to my ears similar to my Empirical Audio Holophonic-2SPC cables.  I do wish they came in black, though.

Thanks.
-smk5r

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2006, 04:58 pm »
Would it be possible to arrange the OB3 in a more horizontal center channel alignment with the woofers still facing upwards so that it could be placed under a projector screen?

Keep in mind that the O-3 is a three-way design. The tweeter crosses to the front woofer only. Then the rear woofer crosses to the front woofer in the 150Hz range. Another plus to the driver alignment is the minimum amount of surface reflections from the narrow front baffle. It is perfect just the way it is for a center channel design, especially one to be placed under a projector screen.

By the way, the Electra Cable interconnects I received are fantastic--in my system and to my ears similar to my Empirical Audio Holophonic-2SPC cables.  I do wish they came in black, though.

I am glad you like the interconnects. They are really impressive and beating up on a lot of very expensive interconnects, so I am pretty pleased with them. Red is their school/town colors. It is likely that all of their offerings will be Red.

klh

« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2006, 06:42 pm »
I bet it would be nice to have 3 slightly shorter O-3s up front, each under a 2.35:1 CH screen.

Danny... will you do a model of the AV-O with the Neo 3 PDR? Some may prefer surrounds with on one woofer.

klh

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2006, 10:58 pm »
bump.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2006, 11:18 pm »
Okay, okay, I forgot to reply.

Danny... will you do a model of the AV-O with the Neo 3 PDR?

I don't think so. I have a single woofer model and a dual woofer model already.

Typically my A/V series customers are the guys that want the killer sound and for as little money as possible. I guess in a way I am just like them. At $249 for the kit the A/V-O does just that.

If you want to step it up to the Neo tweeter and don't mind speeding a little extra money for the added performance then I think most will pony up the extra cash for the added woofer too. It also gives you more bottom end and a lot of adjustability. It's still pretty inexpensive at $415 for the kit.

Some may prefer surrounds with on one woofer.

Through the range that the woofer covers, it sounds about the same (one woofer or two). Even in the O-3 there is just one woofer covering the main area from the crossover points of 150Hz to 1,800Hz.

klh

« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2006, 03:49 am »
Thanks for replying ;). But seriously, I was asking more from the perspective that there is only 3'6" behind my couch and I don't have the ability to put the AV1-rs up (windows). There's plenty of space for the O-3 with a 5.1 setup, but not 7.1. The A/V-O would fit much more easily for 7.1. I'll send you a diagram when ready to purchase... this way we'll be sure the right kit is purchased. Probably the best thing to do is get 5 O-3's for now. I could then add the OB-5 when I move and have more space. That's easy enough. Either that or I may get the OB-5s now and put the second pair if O-3's in the living room. I like that... hmm.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2006, 03:53 am »
No problem. I'll help you figure out what is best for YOU.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #29 on: 23 Nov 2006, 11:50 pm »
Rocket_Ronny,

How you making out with your OB 5's. What's the update?

Cheers

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #30 on: 24 Nov 2006, 01:36 am »
Looks like I just completed the OB 5 marathon. Well, at least everything seems in phase.

This is a sizable build. Any line source builders have my complete respect.

Since no one has entertained us with a review, I might just as well dive in.

Black Beauty Rides Again.

Review

And what a rii-iiii--iiiiiiiiiiii----de she gives.

Soaring beautiful highs.

Open mids.

Tight powerful bass.

All served up with electrostatic speed and clarity.

This speaker is very dynamic.

And talk about coherent. Brings back the warm fuzzies from my crossoverless Acoustat days.

Tonal balance is great. This is not some manic depressive speaker.

She has amazing detail, transparency, and clarity, yet those cone drivers add nice warmth. Probably the perfect blend of the two.

Yet it sounds seamless. I can not hear the crossover. It all sounds like one great big ribbon. Or more accurately, it sounds like real music.

Speakers completely vanish, leaving a wonderful soundstage.

Comparison

These are easily the best speakers I have owned. Here is the carnage. Acoustat model 3’s and 1+1’s, Apogees, Magnapans, Newform Research 645’s, Hornshopp Wannabees, Celestion SL2, Braun 1030’s, Angstrom Triads and T2’s, Triangle Celius.

I am still breaking these in, so I am going out on a limb, but here are my mental thoughts of the OB 5’s compared to some of the speakers I have had the privilege of hearing.

JM Labs Grand Utopia: Monsters with monster bass. Probably the best bass I have heard. Serious problems with tweeter smear, in that cymbals would trace back to the tweeter on occasion. Big, overpriced, and heavy. I did like them though. OB’s soundstage better, are more transparent, and still have great bass. I will take the OB’s and not blink an eye.

JM Labs Mezzo: Same as above.

Revel Salons: I really like these driven by Levinson gear. The OB 5’s are right in this category I believe. Salon bass goes lower perhaps, but I would say the OB’s have greater detail and clarity off the Neo 3 Ribbon. Both image well. OB wins on price and I bet sound as well. 

Levinson HQD: Yes, the actual stacked Quad 57s, with Decca ribbon tweeter, and the 4 - 18” Hartly sub woofer monster. Well, this Goliath needs voltage limited amps for the quads, is huge and heavy, beams high frequencies so that an Acoustat model 2s seems like freedom. The OB’s only give up the fantastic bass of the heartly's. I’ll take the OB’s any day and leave the audio headaches for someone else.

Magnepan 1.6 and 3.6s: I like Maggies, always have. They demand space, at least 6’ behind them and a highly damped wall. They eat power for breakfast, lunch, and supper. This really limits amplifier choice. The OB 5’s sing on my Mcalister SE 44 -(22 watt) amp. They image better, with better focus. I like their bass better. They are more dynamic.

Triangle Celius: I don’t know how Stereophile made these a Class A speaker. While they have an exciting sound, albeit, by a tipped up response somewhere mid treble, they don’t present a very realistic acoustic space of live music. The Newforms killed them, and so do the OB’s.

Genisis Flagship, the 1’s I believe: I really liked these. While being super expensive, they also demand lots of space. The OB’s however give up nothing to them except ultimate dynamics and earthquake bass. Don’t get me wrong, the OB’s have great, powerful bass, but I am sure the line source Genisis would do better there. I will take the OB’s and be very happy.

Visitone B200: Heard briefly on open baffles, and not optimized. B200s sounded very nice for a single driver. Easy build for the DIY, but the OB 5 kills it. It simply cannot compete to the Neo 3 planer ribbon, or the powerful bass of the OB’s. Just my humble, but opinionated opinion.

I could go on and on.

I hope you are catching the drift here. When compared to some of the worlds most expensive, or highly regarded speakers, the OB’s really leave me wanting nothing.

I am almost speechless. Just like Danny was.

They are fantastic. And that is from a guy who says good when most would say great. Just conservative I guess.

The OB5 driven by the amazing McAlister SE 44 brings me to the very top shelf of audio on a pauper’s budget.

Thank you Danny for making such an overachieving wonder available to those of us with enough sense not to spend kilo bucks chasing the wind.

Danny was always a gentleman even though I probably drove him crazy with all my e-mails and calls.

Modified

One note: I did modify the speaker build a bit. While I loved the design when I saw it, two things I did not quite like. That is the 7” baffle the tweeter sits on, and the 40” + height of the tweeter as well.

So I lowered the tweeter by about 6” by lowering the cabinet height. In order to do this I had to make the bass cab wider. That is why you see the bass cab flanking the front baffle. I am glad I did. Although most would not need to. Each speaker weighs about 65 lbs by the way.

Bottom Line

I feel like I have arrived home after a long journey. I look forward to many blissful years with Black beauty.

This kit gets my highest recommendation.

The only thing I would want to improve it is perhaps have it upgraded with Danny’s, or Raw Acoustics, new xbl woofers for the bass. That should bring it down in the low thirties I would guess. Hint, hint.

Does this mean I win Daygloworange? You are going to love these. I think we both win.

Rocket_Ronny  -  Always taking the road less traveled.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2007, 02:39 am by Rocket_Ronny »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #31 on: 24 Nov 2006, 02:39 am »
Ok. I don't mind being runner up, 'cause yeah, we both win. :thumb:

Mine are in the spray booth right now, and crossovers being assembled as I write this.They'll be breaking in tomorrow. We will be listening to them at our inaugural Toronto audiophile club meeting here on Sunday. We have a slew of AC members coming, so there will be some feedback posted here I'm sure.

Rocket_Ronny,
Spoke to Peter McAlister yesterday, he's bringing his MB 130 mono blocs. So I'll be hearing them driven by amps designed and manufactured by the same builder as yours. After reading your thoughts on the pairing, it should be interesting. :thumb:

BTW, I like the design you came up with. Real cool. 8)

Cheers

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #32 on: 24 Nov 2006, 02:49 am »
Thanks Day.

I am not a fan of Black, but hey, there is a lot of black from the drivers so why not.

Check out the audio stand. My dad made that 30 years ago. Get this, he spun all those dowels on his lath by hand!!! They are made up from 3 sections glued together. You should see the amazing china cabinate he made on his, are you ready, radial arm saw. He did not own a table saw.

He was Mr. DIY for sure.

Glad to hear Peter will come over. He doesn't need to bring the mono's though. The SE 44 is his best sounding amp and delivers the goods.

Rocket_Ronny

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 24 Nov 2006, 03:07 am »
Wow Ron, those look great. I love the Black rear section with the light wood. Nice work!

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I am glad to know that you are now enjoying them.

I really loved all the comparisons, but honestly, it isn't that hard to design a speaker that beats up on the expensive commercial models. The tuff part is marketing it and selling it.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #34 on: 24 Nov 2006, 03:28 am »
Danny:

Glad you didn't mind me butchering up your design.

Could you check out the lower inductor on the tweeter section. I have it in line the mid inductor below it, but there is about 3" of space between them. That should be o.k., right?

Marketing, tell me about it. If only I could really market.

Rocket_Back in Black_Ronny

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 24 Nov 2006, 03:50 am »
Congrats Rocket Man!
You have to let me know how the Burmester CD sounds on the OB5's!
You should be very proud of your accomplishment.
I get to hear Dayglow's on Sunday!!! aa

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #36 on: 24 Nov 2006, 04:00 am »
Spirit:

The nice thing about how I finished them is you do not need to have a spray booth. The cabs were painted with high gloss enamal and a foam roller.

The disc should sound awesome. Thank you.

Prepare yourself. That combination is a shocker. This is about the only time I wished I lived near Toronto. Found myself one time coming into Toronto on the 401 at rush hour. 2 lanes went into 4, then into 8, with everyone running at warp factor 9. Then I missed my turn off. What a nightmare. No thanks.

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #37 on: 24 Nov 2006, 04:00 am »
Hey Spirit,

You bringin' your checkbook? :wink:

Cheers

puft54cs

« Reply #38 on: 24 Nov 2006, 03:44 pm »
Awesome job Rocket_Ronny! I have one question though, how did you run the speaker cable down from the drivers in the cabinetless section? I definitely have to build these.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #39 on: 24 Nov 2006, 05:13 pm »
Hey Puff:

Well, I just drilled holes large enough for each wire. A regular length drill makes it to the bass cab upper woofer hole.

The baffle is 1.5" thick. Two 3/4" pieces of baltic birch glued together. You need this width in order to not pop out the face of the baffle. You have to be quite careful when drilling, take your time, or, well, or, you might just cry.  :duh:

Same thing goes for the connecting the two mid woofs. I drilled into the cavity of the tweet and run the cable behind the tweeter.

If you flip the lower mid woof so as to have the connectors facing up remember to flip the polarity of the wires. Just simply cross them from one side to the other behind the tweeter.

I was going to just run the cable outside and even drilled the holes behind the tweeter. But I thought, yuck, I don't want to see the cable mess. So I got the synapz's working a bit.

Build these and be amazed. You will not look back.  :o

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2006, 06:05 pm by Rocket_Ronny »