OB 5 or 7 Reviews

arthurs

Re: OB 5 or 7 Reviews
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jan 2007, 04:07 am »
I don't want to discount the LS6's... they sound amazing, especially for the money.  I just found them VERY subjective to your listening position.

What speakers aren't?

George

Amen George. 

mnapuran

« Reply #101 on: 12 Jan 2007, 04:17 am »
So is there a matching center channel design yet?

Sure

Care to elaborate?  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:36 pm »
For one, you can take the standard OB-5 and lay it on its side. Rotate the tweeter 90 degrees. Then split the low frequency woofers putting one on each end. Since they are only covering from 200Hz and down this will not effect the speakers response. Mounting it on a stand right below a projector screen would be great too.

You could also use a pair of M-130/16 woofers in a sealed box with the Neo 3 pdr. I have already designed a network for this speaker. It's just the center section of the OB-5 but in a sealed box instead of an open baffle.

You could also use the new O-3 design as a center and adjust the height accordingly. That one will also match really well.

mnapuran

« Reply #103 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:33 am »
You could also use a pair of M-130/16 woofers in a sealed box with the Neo 3 pdr. I have already designed a network for this speaker. It's just the center section of the OB-5 but in a sealed box instead of an open baffle.

This sounds quite interesting... planning a kit, or would we just buy components right now (including crossover components/design)?

cph2000

« Reply #104 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:16 pm »
Nice speaker, but why is the neo3 NOT running as a dipole like the mids ???
I have heard the neo open back in the martin logan Mosaic and closed in the fresco. The former was much better !

Danny Richie

« Reply #105 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:51 pm »
Running the Neo as a dipole does not sound as good, causes room interaction problems more than it helps them, and it rolls off the output early and would not allow me to cross it over as low.

cph2000

« Reply #106 on: 15 Jan 2007, 09:14 pm »
Why would going from a dipole in the midrange to a monopole in the tweeter be better than keeping it as a dipole all the way?

I wonder why the Martin Logan Mosaic and the AdireAudio Extremis both use the neo open back :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 15 Jan 2007, 09:30 pm »
My testing and subjective listening allowed me to observe the differences in the two and my conclusion was that front firing only was better.

Siegfried Linkwitz can to the same conclusions as well. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

cph2000

« Reply #108 on: 2 Feb 2007, 12:11 pm »
Well it seems that mr. Linkwitz changed his mind about that again  :icon_lol:

Here is a snip from his site about the new Orion+ with a rear tweeter for some dipole action in that freq. region:

"Yet, when I listen to ORION with added rear tweeters, calling it ORION+, I can only say that I have never heard sound reproduced as realistically in its dimensions of space, frequency and time. Sure, it is only an illusion and it all happens between the ears, but the ease with which I fall for the illusion becomes obvious when I switch back to PLUTO+. There the imaging is pin point analytical left to right in an acoustic space that has less depth and height than ORION and which by comparison to ORION+ clearly takes some effort to construct in my mind from the cues given. Sort of a re-programming after having heard ORION+."

Ettepet

« Reply #109 on: 2 Feb 2007, 11:41 pm »
cph2000, I believe this was already mentioned earlier: link.

Glad to hear Linkwitz's observations.  Makes me anxious for Arnie's new RSL II. ...cannot wait to compare them with some of Danny's stuff (LS6, and maybe x-otica aa).

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #110 on: 9 Apr 2007, 02:50 pm »

Come on boys.

There has to be more reviews to be posted!

I am still loving mine.  :wink:

Rocket_Ronny