What gets 70 Hz?

mb

Re: What gets 70 Hz?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2003, 12:38 am »
Quote from: Hantra
I have this major problem around 70 Hz in my room, and it SUCKS.  Listening to bluegrass, and acoustic stuff, there is a LOT of activity right around there in the alternating bass lines.  

This is beginning to get on my nerves.  It's such a BOOM right there on that frequency, and then the other note of the alternating bass line is just fine. . .

I have been thinking about trying a Behringer Ultra-Curve to correct it, but I am afraid that will degrade my analog. . .

Any ideas?

B

Sorry to come into this late, but better than never...

Just ONE borrowed cd, out of many that have played on my system made me suspect a strong 56Hz mode in my listening room. It began to sensitize me to other room resonances, and finally I gave up and went the Behringer way -- the latest DEQ2496. My greatest reservation was the potential of losing the great musicality of my (DIY) modded CI-Audio DAC, so my objective was to use the DEQ in digital-in / digital-out EQ mode.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for the problem you describe.

- don't assume the AutoEQ function will help. It will not, as the LF modes are too sharp for 1/3 octave EQ
- use something like ETF (demo version will do fine) to give you more insight into your room behaviour, and correct with the DEQ
- if you really like the sound of your room, apart from the modes. a couple of sharp notch filters will probably do the trick. Chances are you won't be able to resist overall room EQ. With suitable (ie. non-straightline) curves, they work wonderfully
- Left/Right LF notch filters will probably need to be different. Do two sets of analyses on ETF, one for each channel. I've found modes at different frequencies, and different nature (bandwidth/decay) on L & R
- If you hear a strong boom at 70Hz, chances are high that there are many others in the room. I thought I was going to address just 56Hz. After analysis, there were modes around 36, 53, 56, 88, 96, 133Hz (some on one side, some on both...)

I'm purchasing some Eigth Nerve products after things stabilize with the Behringer. I expect they will do a lot of good to the room sound, but in different areas from what DEQ works on. The local dealer tried to convince me that they would address my 56Hz mode. They *might*, but when you see my notch settings, you'll agree that no bass tubes, diffusers, or anything short of room rebuild / refurnish was needed. 10' concrete ceiling, largle marble tile floor = tough room, quite typical here.

Brad V

What gets 70 Hz?
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jul 2003, 04:58 pm »
Hi Brandon,

I would think that Bombaywalla might let you borrow a few of his bass traps, to see if they handled your problem.

Have a great day,

Brad

Hantra

What gets 70 Hz?
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jul 2003, 05:48 pm »
Dude. . .

Have you heard the older Behriger?  The 8024 I think it is?  

I wonder how good it is compared to the new one. . .

What was street price on yours, and where did you get it?  My friend Scott has one of the old ones, and it does amazing things in his place.  I may try out one or the other.  Depending on the cost of the new one. . .

The old one, with a mic, and digital board is like $300.

mb

What gets 70 Hz?
« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2003, 12:31 am »
Quote from: Hantra
Dude. . .

Who, me??

Have you heard the older Behriger?  The 8024 I think it is?  

I wonder how good it is compared to the new one. . .

Yes, the friend helping me in the initial installation brought his highly modded 8024. We hardly spent enough time for detailed comparisons, but the newer DEQ2496 did well, even in analog out mode. It was not up to my CI-Audio DAC, but that has been well modded (imho). Since I use it in digital-in digital-out mode, my main concern was clean digital passthru. So far I can't distinguish from using the DAC direct from the CDT (Philips players).
What was street price on yours, and where did you get it?  My friend Scott has one of the old ones, and it does amazing things in his place.  I may try out one or the other.  Depending on the cost of the new one. . .

The new one doesn't need the additional digital card, and is much smaller. Quality does not appear to have suffered, as the savings are in a much smaller pcb and higher integration. Of course that means that modding is tougher (less space on pcb).

I think US street prices, w/o mic are <$300. Digital board is built-in, and 24/96. Go for the new one, I guess.

mb

PS: after just two tuning sessions, I'm now just sitting back and enjoying. There's very little urge to further tune the system. Now that's a pretty good sign, isn't it?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
What gets 70 Hz?
« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2003, 01:09 am »
I have the older 8024 and I love it, but I use the analog input fed by the lowpass of an external X-over.  I do really want to get the new model to see how good it is.

Brad V

Bass problem solved
« Reply #25 on: 2 Jul 2003, 12:40 pm »
Hi,

I went over to Hantra's last night to do some listening. The last time I was there, he only had the corners up and no other treatment, as best I can remember. I did hear his bass problem, however the sound was much much better than the last time I was over there. He had elevated his speakers, so that the ribbons were ear level. He added a bunch more of the Eighth Nerve products. Also, he had a couple of pairs of the Audience AU24's inserted, as well as some new tube monoblocks. Like I said, the sound was much much better. Hantra had his room scaled out on paper, with the Cardas method and another placement method, which he had the other placement method in use. I suggested that we try moving things closer to the Cardas Method and to get his seated position off of the rear wall. Since there were two of us doing this, it didn't take any time at all. From the first note, I could tell that we were in for a treat. I sat in the sweet spot and no more bass problems. All the bass notes were so articulate. Also, everything else was improved on such a major degree. The sound was so much cleaner, distinct and very musical. The soundstage improved in depth and width, as well as much more delineation with the instruments.

We then switched seats and I watched a big smile grow on Hantra's face. We were spinning Vinyl and I put on my best Buddy Rich album. I was only going to play one track, however I couldn't pull myself away and ended up listening to the entire side.

Once he gets his AU24 Speakers cables, he will in hog heaven.

Have a great day,

Brad

Hantra

What gets 70 Hz?
« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2003, 02:36 pm »
some new tube monoblocks

Hahahah!  Fooled you too!  

Those aren't tubes my friend.  Those are straight op-amps.  Straight. . No chaser.  There's a guy in St. Louis with a pair, and he had some fully tricked Wavelength 300B monos with $3,000 in mods.  He said these do everything the wavelengths did except they lack a bit of dimensionality on female vocals.  That's a tube thing, and I've heard nothing that can do it short of $4-5,000 tube amps.  They aren't nearly as quiet as these little beasts.  

These are the quietest amps I have ever heard.  Even more so than the Bryston I had in, and it was supposedly 114db S/N.  

It's amazing what you can do with 8-9 parts, and a few mm of hookup wire.

My bass problem is gone, and things are 100% more detailed.  I moved the seams to behind the speakers, and that helped also.  It sounds much better, but it is less intimate.  I find it less emotionally involving.  But I know I'm on the right track now.  I just gotta tweak with it a bit.

Thanks B!

B