Driver repair??

jules

Driver repair??
« on: 18 Sep 2006, 11:39 pm »
I'm wondering if I should simply throw my 30 year old three way system out or restore and make use of it.

I've already had a traumatizing experience with a bodgey repair job on the 10" bass units in the system which are now offically dead but I'm still reluctant to throw away the 2.25" and .75" Rola-Celestion mid/tweeter domes if there's any way they can be serviced to make them useful for another round.

Is it possible/worthwhile to replace the rubber surrounds and soft domes?

and

Is there someone in Aus. who others might recommned?

Jules

HumanMedia

Re: Driver repair??
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2006, 12:41 am »
http://www.speakerworks.com.au/

They have done excellent work for me on three occasions.

jules

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2006, 12:55 am »
Thanks ... I'll see what they say.

I'm in the lucky position of not needing these drivers as essential, so my decision can be totally pragmatic ... I think  :?

Jules

rabbitz

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2006, 12:33 pm »
I don't know if Speakerbits can help.

http://www.speakerbits.com.au/

jules

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2006, 09:46 pm »
Thanks Rabbitz,

I can't see anything specific on the web page but I'll delve further ... not sure if they're worth repair but they are/were good drivers.

Do you design xovers on a commercial basis? I'm thinking of expanding my existing MTM by adding a 10" bass [and later a 12" sub] but it will mean an xover re-design. This might be a good thing anyway as the xover is ok but could probably be improved on.

Jules

rabbitz

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2006, 11:53 am »
Hi Jules

No commercial crossovers done here but you can get them done by Russell Storey at http://stonessoundstudio.com.au/ or post on this or other forums for comments.

If you want more bass skip the 10" woofer and go straight to the sub as it's hard to integrate a woofer into an existing design but a sub can be integrated easily.

Cheers
Peter

jules

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2006, 09:48 pm »
Thanks Peter,

Stones looks like an interesting place. If Newcastle seems to have a strong audio presence, northern NSW and spots like Lismore, seem to have a big muso and related audio population as well. I might re-think my plans on the basis of your advice and maybe go for an entirely separate project to make use of the 10" driver.

A sub looks essential either way if only to get down to the 25-70 Hz range.

Jules

afterthought ... a sub presents me with certain unique problems. I use solar power through an inverter. ~300-400W is a little more than I'd like to use and it causes a fan to cut in on the inverter which isn't loud but is annoying.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2006, 12:24 am by jules »

rabbitz

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:13 pm »
Plug into the grid then no problems.... that is if one is available.

jules

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2006, 03:26 am »
Grid?  :evil: :evil:, never!!

In reality that's impossible for me but I'm a great fan of solar. It's very advanced these days and in some ways a better, smoother, cleaner supply than mains.

Capacity is just a question of how many panels/how much storage you're prepared to pay for. I limit my use but don't feel limited.

jules