My soundroom & speaker pictures...

Wayner

Re: My soundroom & speaker pictures...
« Reply #40 on: 12 Oct 2006, 11:31 pm »
I have solved the problem with my set-up. My Surround pre-amp is capable of creating a "phantom" center channel from the left and right speakers. Therefore I run a 4.1 set-up. When I watch a 5.1 DVD movie, I set the pre-amp to normal surround mode and everything is great. When I listen to music, I use the "live room" setting and have the surrounds set to just barely noticable. I love it. My pre-amp allows me to have different surround volume settings for each mode so there is no re-balancing the system.

I hate center channel with a passion. I think its dumb. Unless your living room is 50 feet wide, what is the point, and all it does is screw up the music.

W

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #41 on: 12 Oct 2006, 11:38 pm »
From what I understand, it's main purpose is for dialogue in movies and nothing else.

Apparently though, way back , "stereo" was intended to be 3 channels right from the get go, but vinyl was the popular recording/ storage medium, and you had only have a right and left side in a vinyl groove.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2006, 12:34 am »
I have solved the problem with my set-up. My Surround pre-amp is capable of creating a "phantom" center channel from the left and right speakers. Therefore I run a 4.1 set-up. When I watch a 5.1 DVD movie, I set the pre-amp to normal surround mode and everything is great. When I listen to music, I use the "live room" setting and have the surrounds set to just barely noticable. I love it. My pre-amp allows me to have different surround volume settings for each mode so there is no re-balancing the system.

I hate center channel with a passion. I think its dumb. Unless your living room is 50 feet wide, what is the point, and all it does is screw up the music.

W

Wayner por El Presidente!  Ultra-super-duper-megadittos!  My center fill is better now than w/ any center ch I've sampled.  Of course all components & the entire room has been acoustically upgraded, but that's beside the point.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 13 Oct 2006, 12:38 am »
Sigh! My wife allmost divorced me after 45 years when I took the second largest of our 12 rooms as a dedicated one for my sound and home theater. Taking another to have two dedicated rooms will be a bit of a challenge. :roll:

This reinforces what a lucky guy I am!

My wife let me turn the formal livingroom and formal dining room into my dedicated two channel space AND I have a big space mapped out in the basement for the new HT as well.

:dance:

George

Bad move George: Don't EVER admit your are that spoiled!!!!!! :nono: :thumb:

Hipper

« Reply #44 on: 13 Oct 2006, 05:19 pm »
Son of Ampzilla maker James Bongiorno has a Trinaural processor for a three channel system. Apparently it takes a while to get used to. 

http://www.ampzilla2000.com/trinaural.html

I too have noticed the difference changing ear shape can have on sound, particularly HF. If you put your hands behind your ears, HF is increased, and then if you move them forward so pushing the outer ear forward it changes again. I imagine headgear could be designed to cause this effect. :D

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 13 Oct 2006, 07:24 pm »
With all due respect to the designer, I think the Trinaural processor is history.  If Bongo has any leftover current distribution is nill.  The result of terrible marketing decisions.  He might have been at least able to make a couple dollars each per thousands of receivers if he only licensed the technology.  Instead he thought so highly of it that he believed he should be the only manufacturer selling it.  Too bad.  History repeats.  Does Apple's dumb mistake of not licensing their OS sound familiar?  Apple's OS originally blew away Gates', but less than 10% care when it cost at LEAST twice or thrice as much.  Was it that much better?  Yes!  If you could afford it.  People who couldn't didn't. 

ctviggen

« Reply #46 on: 13 Oct 2006, 07:34 pm »
I love my center channel for movies and wouldn't be without one.  Using my processor, I find the center channel useful for certain types of movies.  Different processors might mean that the center channel is less useful.  On the other hand, I like listening to stereo without the center/surround speakers, but I've not heard some of the more advanced algorithms for creating multiple channels out of two.

Berndt

« Reply #47 on: 3 Nov 2006, 02:12 am »
Jimbolia, can't wait for saturday!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Moto GP outcome...
« Reply #48 on: 3 Nov 2006, 02:25 am »
Bill
Who were you rooting for last Sunday?  I'm ashamed to say I rooted for Rossi instead of the American Haydn.  I like Honda bikes...but always prefer to see them loose on the track. 

Nice to see the trophy in America, though!  Wait!  Does Honda bring it home to Japan? 

Berndt

« Reply #49 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:55 am »
OT for RSN.
I cried when Rossi crashed. I felt it coming too, like a teenage tragedy movie.
I wanted Rossi to spank the oppressive overlord Honda, make no mistake.
Go Nicky, I always felt #69 was the TACKIEST mc racing # ever.
No class even. Good to see him with a #1 instead.
Go America, although I would have  picked Edwards for my favorite yank, because Denise raced with him on the cart tracks in Texas on YSRs...

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 3 Nov 2006, 06:09 am »
Considering Rossi's position when he crashed, & the overall situation (horrific start by Rossi, Haydn's bike seemed perfect), the crash didn't surprise me that much.  On the one hand Rossi can pass anyone on any given day, on the other hand he was stressed & pushing a little harder than the M1 seemed to want to go.

All new 800cc bikes next year...will be interesting. 

I wonder if the main reason there are no Moto GP-based street bikes is because a pure dedicated race motor can not be modified to pass emissions standards. 

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #51 on: 3 Nov 2006, 06:46 am »
I wonder if the main reason there are no Moto GP-based street bikes is because a pure dedicated race motor can not be modified to pass emissions standards. 

Methinks the world isn't ready for 330 lb motorcycles with over 240 hp and top speeds of over 210mph on public roads. But I could be wrong. :o

I'm glad Hayden won the championship, the guy is a real racer, and a likeable kid.

Cheers

John Casler

« Reply #52 on: 3 Nov 2006, 04:02 pm »
Son of Ampzilla maker James Bongiorno has a Trinaural processor for a three channel system. Apparently it takes a while to get used to. 

http://www.ampzilla2000.com/trinaural.html

While James makes the claim that it is a sound that you must "adjust to", it is not.

If you have your system set up to "soundstage" correctly, you are already familiar with strong center fill.

The TRINaural is pretty incredible, and as James has said "IS" the best way to create the soundstage and imaging of a live performance.

I think the main reason, is the ability to "taper" the sound on the sides.  That is, in a live performance the sides of the stage/performance are farther away from you than the "center" of the performance.  Unless a Recording Engineer specifically adjusts and mixes for this, you cannot reproduce this with two speakers.

John Casler

« Reply #53 on: 3 Nov 2006, 04:11 pm »

I too have noticed the difference changing ear shape can have on sound, particularly HF. If you put your hands behind your ears, HF is increased, and then if you move them forward so pushing the outer ear forward it changes again. I imagine headgear could be designed to cause this effect. :D

Placing the hands behind the ears is called "cupping".

The increased "clarity and detail" is caused by two primary elements:

1) the hands effectively increase the size of the "pinna" and the ability to collect more sound and direct it to the tympanic membrane. this also "in effect" makes the sound "louder", which also increases detail.

2) The hands block significant room generated distortions of the sound making it a bit more pure to the signal

Often when visiting systems at shows and audio club meetings, I will sit nearfield and "cup" to hear the true output of the speakers, without much of the room interference.

John Casler

« Reply #54 on: 3 Nov 2006, 04:14 pm »
With all due respect to the designer, I think the Trinaural processor is history.  If Bongo has any leftover current distribution is nill.  The result of terrible marketing decisions.  He might have been at least able to make a couple dollars each per thousands of receivers if he only licensed the technology.  Instead he thought so highly of it that he believed he should be the only manufacturer selling it.  Too bad.  History repeats.  Does Apple's dumb mistake of not licensing their OS sound familiar?  Apple's OS originally blew away Gates', but less than 10% care when it cost at LEAST twice or thrice as much.  Was it that much better?  Yes!  If you could afford it.  People who couldn't didn't. 

Just to let everyone know, the TRINAURAL is not history, but still available for those who wish to create such a system.

No disputing James' marketing ability though :?

Berndt

« Reply #55 on: 3 Nov 2006, 05:05 pm »
6 pages, Jimbo is in heaven...

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 4 Nov 2006, 04:36 am »

Methinks the world isn't ready for 330 lb motorcycles with over 240 hp and top speeds of over 210mph on public roads. But I could be wrong. :o

I'm glad Hayden won the championship, the guy is a real racer, and a likeable kid.

Cheers

Forget top speed, that's insane, nobody needs to go much over a 100mph on the street anyway.

But acceleration wise, how much quicker to the ton is a MotoGP bike vs. a ZX14 w/ a couple of bolt-ons?

Berndt

« Reply #57 on: 4 Nov 2006, 05:11 am »
power to weight is an amazing experience.
too much power and you get to start building torque too.
corner to corner, jimbo, you got me again.

warnerwh

« Reply #58 on: 4 Nov 2006, 05:52 am »
"Forget top speed, that's insane, nobody needs to go much over a 100mph on the street anyway."

You must be getting old Jim. Over a hundred is where the fun starts :D I've cruised at 120 and have no qualms of cruising at or near a hundred on freeways in the middle of nowhere.  These days 120 makes me too nervous as it's too hard to slow down to legal speeds in a hurry from there.  The fastest I've cruised on a freeway, this is several times, is 130. No I don't think the streets are racetrack as I've spent enough time on tracks to know what I'm getting myself into. My car is set up to do this comfortably and relatively safely. It is just part of me that says I'll do what I want :thumb: Even my 10 year old daughter has gone 145 :o

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 5 Nov 2006, 01:24 am »
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know...I am getting old. 

I remembered a few hours after the last post that a Kawi ZX14 &/or Suzuki Hayabusa, in full tilt mode, are still in 2nd gear (out of 6) at 100mph.

It's only my personal paranoia, but I believe it best to never publicly admit any illegal behavior whatsoever, even an infraction.  Even anonymous posts can be traced.  In any civil or criminal case, if I was an attorney helped by such an incriminating post at a forum, I'd know abou it.  You could also bet you'd be hearing it read publicly at trial. 

In a civil case deposition, you'd be faced w/ either lying under oath or admitting to the oppossing attorney of your screen names at all the forums in which you have posted.   This would be an allowable question at deposition.  It would hurt, believe me. 
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2006, 02:55 am by RibbonSpeakers.net »