Cables & interconnects

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Cables & interconnects
« Reply #80 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:33 am »
I couldn't resist going and actually reading the write up on this Super Knob.
They make this claim,
The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved.

Ok, I'm still waiting on an explanation as to how this can make a difference.....

Oh, wait. There's a link that talks more about C 37 Lacquer, Ok, now maybe we're going to get somewhere...
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=C37

Ok, so maybe not. But there is an interview with Dieter Ennemoser, the inventor of the C 37 lacquer. Ok, maybe he will explain it in more detail......
http://www.tnt-audio.com/intervis/c37e.html

Ok, so maybe not......

Well I guess we're left with their claim that hearing is believing as their proof.....

Shall we all get together?  Maybe we can get a bulk discount?

Cheers

tomjtx

« Reply #81 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:50 am »
Ok, I'm still waiting on an explanation as to how this can make a difference.....

Oh, wait. There's a link that talks more about C 37 Lacquer, Ok, now maybe we're going to get somewhere...
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=C37

Ok, so maybe not. But there is an interview with Dieter Ennemoser, the inventor of the C 37 lacquer. Ok, maybe he will explain it in more detail......
http://www.tnt-audio.com/intervis/c37e.html

Ok, so maybe not......
[/quote

None of my European violinist friends have heard of this maker. There are classical guitar guitar makers that claim special proprietary secrets as well. Their guitars are uniformly awful. There are charlatans i all fields.

TjMV3

Re: Cables & interconnects ... and knobs?
« Reply #82 on: 14 Nov 2006, 01:51 pm »
Now that the cabling issues are resolved, perhaps it's time to address the completely overlooked upgrade, knobs.

Volume knobs, that is.

Only $485 each

The new knobs are custom made with beech wood and bronze ... The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound ... The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved ... You will be shocked by this!

$485 for wooden knobs? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Who would buy into such rubbish? :dunno:

Airheads4Ever

« Reply #83 on: 14 Nov 2006, 03:53 pm »
$485 for wooden knobs? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Who would buy into such rubbish? :dunno:

I presume that the "science" behind the sonic improvement claims for these knobs is that compared with the vendor's bakelite knobs or more common metal knobs, these wooden knobs have lower mass and higher internal damping. Theoretically, one supposes that these traits could reduce the internal vibrations (caused by the music being played) of the potentiometer behind the knob, and that reducing such vibration could improve the sound quality.

Based on this analysis, a styrofoam knob with a lead spindle and rubber coating would be even better, but that would probably cost too much! :lol: :wink:

The explanation, beyond its implausibility, begs the question of why use a pot that is so susceptible to such miniscule vibrations. I have reasonable background in vibration analysis, not much in electronics beyond an undergraduate EE breadth class, and it sounds like a bunch of hooey and/or patching a bad design to me.

(Just trying to imagine some science behind the bologna, not endorsing the concept.)

-MK

gooberdude

« Reply #84 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:23 pm »
I've heard similar verbage from mfgrs who like to use wood knobs, that adding tonewood helps control vibes that are created inside the chassis.  funny though, my TVC preamp w/wood knobs costs less than
those silly wood knobs...you'd have to be a HUGE knob to spend $500 on a pair!     

for me, controlling vibrations is crucial for good stereo sound.  Whether they are inside your gear, running from chassis to chassis via cables, booming out of your speakers or bouncing around the room before tickling your inner ear.   addressing them has been the 'holy grail' for me.

GD

nathanm

« Reply #85 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:00 pm »

boead

« Reply #86 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:05 pm »

ask over at their forum.
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/phpBB2/index.php

boead

« Reply #87 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:06 pm »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #88 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:16 pm »
Nathanm,

That's too funny! :lol:

Do you do the graphics for that?

Cheers

miklorsmith

« Reply #89 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:20 pm »
$6,800 for a volume control!?  At least it has "very special" treatments.

This is worse than Machina Dynamica, at least they're cheap!

gooberdude

« Reply #90 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:33 pm »
that's crazy $!     Add in some Brilliant Pebbles & outlet covers from Machina Dynamica & you've spent $7k.....

The $400 I spent for a TVC seems more than reasonable....   www.promitheusaudio.com     look up the Reference TVC.

nathan, find a way to get some vacuum tubes sticking outta the ipod then market the hell out of it!

GD

nathanm

« Reply #91 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:54 pm »
Nathanm,

That's too funny! :lol:

Do you do the graphics for that?

Cheers
Yep!  Here's the rest of them:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=711

pjchappy

« Reply #92 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:44 pm »
That's GREAT, Nathan!!!!    :lol:

p

fredgarvin

« Reply #93 on: 14 Nov 2006, 11:10 pm »
I'd ask how long it takes to polish the knob but....ooops, not long at all.

rustneversleeps

They do try to put some science into voodoo
« Reply #94 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:26 am »
The ultra expensive cable maker Nordost's providing the VIDAR cable burn-in service. They even have the picture of the cable burn in device in Stereophile, the device actually has some microchips in it.

Of course such service will only be provided by the authorized Nordost dealers. If I was an audio dealer, I'd feel very stupid trying to convince my customers to burn in their cables.

TjMV3

« Reply #95 on: 15 Nov 2006, 05:19 pm »

ask over at their forum.
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/phpBB2/index.php

I checked it out over there.  Doesn't look like any even has talked about these knobs.  Truth be told,  there isn't much activity there at all.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2006, 05:23 pm »
I'm not surprised. :roll:

Cheers