'Tube Bloom'

Mathew_M

'Tube Bloom'
« on: 18 Jun 2003, 03:57 pm »
Awhile back I swapped out my Audible Illusions Mod 3a for my AMC tube pre.  While I like the AI's clean, dynamic sound much better I do miss the AMC's 'tube bloom' that adds an extra bit of sweetness to the music.  Also  the AMC gives the other 'tubey' attribute of greater soundstage depth and more robust imaging.  However, the AMC comparatively is just too colored and leaves a grungy aftertaste.

So I'm looking at getting those tubey attributes from my AI without giving up the dynamics and clean sound.  

I'm guessing when you get into the upscale pre's like the Hovland or Erleuchtung you get everything that I mentioned in spades.

Or would I better off going with a tube amp like the Radii as an alternative (which I plan someday but not now).

I have VMPS 626R's and Le Amps.

nature boy

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2003, 04:19 pm »
Matthew,

Might want to consider some NOS tube swapping in the AI as a first step.  Different 6922 tubes do change the sound.  Just a less expensive option than opting for a new preamp or going to new tube amp, although several others have mentioned the Radii amp as a great match with the 626's.

Big B, Tyson, Wayne should be looked to for input.

NB

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2003, 04:38 pm »
I would switch amps before switching preamps.  The leamps are not bad, but certainly not as good as the 626R's or the AI in overall quality.

To answer your question, the Radii pre does have a more "tubey" sound than the AI.

Wayne1

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2003, 04:51 pm »
We did listen to the AI pre with the Radii power amp and it WAS a very good match.

The LeAmps are a very good value for the price, but the Radii amp is a better match for the 626Rs. Depending on your tastes, you can have all kinds of fun swapping output tubes to get different sound.

The first thing I noticed when I used the Radii amp was an incredible improvement in soundstage and image.

I have on order now a slightly different design of the Radii amp. They are mono-blocks with 12AX7 and 12AU7 drivers and paper in oil coupling caps.

I should get them in a couple of weeks and I am sure they will be compared to the stereo Radii amp. They should retail for about $1,000.00 each.

WilliamL

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2003, 05:30 pm »
Wayne,

I want to know more about that Radii headphone amp!!!! :?:  :!:

Cheers,
Bill

Mad DOg

remote control?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2003, 05:37 pm »
Wayne,

does the radii pre come w/ a remote control for volume?

Wayne1

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2003, 07:01 pm »
No remote control on that model.

You actually have to get up out of your chair to change the volume :lol:

As others on other forums have mentioned, it is rather hard and expensive to make a good sounding, remote controlled, volume pot.

Radii does make a four input, remote controlled, transformer based preamp, but it is only 16 steps.

Bill, I am still trying to work out better shipping terms.

Right now the HAP-05 would have to sell for $500.00 including shipping from Hong Kong.

It is OTL and OPT. It uses JJ ECC-88s for outputs and 6DJ8 for a driver

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2003, 07:16 pm »
If you don't want to get up outta your chair-try this !    http://www.gadgets.co.uk/robbie_robot.html

Mathew_M

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2003, 10:10 pm »
Wayne, what's the power output of this new mono block?  I also assume that the 1,000 price is per mono block.

Wayne1

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2003, 10:26 pm »
The Mono-Blocks are basically the DPP-105 broken into separate chassis with separate power supplies.

Output power is rated at 78 WPC into 8 ohms. The amps are biased Class A. They will put out a fair amount of heat.

They will have separate taps, which will be gold binding posts, for 4, 8 and 16 ohm.

They will have the digital meter for reading the bias voltage for each tube and they will have a switch to turn the display off.

The price IS $1,000.00 per mono-block.

Mad DOg

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2003, 11:12 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
No remote control on that model.

You actually have to get up out of your chair to change the volume :lol:
Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. Actually the RC isn't a huge issue w/ me...My better half wants it...And i gotta keep her happy otherwise she won't approve the purchase!  :wink:

Mad DOg

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2003, 11:13 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
If you don't want to get up outta your chair-try this !    http://www.gadgets.co.uk/robbie_robot.html
i told my wife that she can be my remote control... :lol:

she wasn't too pleased with that... :nono:

let me just say, sleeping on the couch isn't very comfortable! :wink:

Mathew_M

'Tube Bloom'
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2003, 11:25 pm »
These class A amps will just have to wait until I get a bigger listening room.