Just wondering, how many of you get to listen to live music,

LordCloud

and how often? And what type of live music do you listen to, and what seem to be the biggest similarities and differences between your system and live music? Particularly acoustic music.  :?:

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2003, 03:57 pm »
We have season tickets to a local theater company and get to hear live music there at about 6 week intervals. Of course there a plenty of other events as well but at the worst I get a new referance every month an a half.

The coolest accoustic show I attended recently was put on by a brass band in combination with a carribean steel band. Sounds like an odd combo but it was a great show. Fully accoustic (except for the electric guitar) in the venue where the symphony normally performs.

I try and attend a few symphony performaces every year as well. This year I haven't made as many as I like. Last one was "Mahler Fest" and as for how the stereo compares, it pretty much sucks incomparison to a 100+ piece orchestra. :lol:

Mike

brad b

big band last week
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2003, 04:04 pm »
had an opportunity to take the family out to a very formal event for my niece and the entertainment was a 12 piece big band playing everything from the 30's to current stuff.  Fun to calibrate your ears a little while dancing with the miss's.
Brad

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2003, 06:06 pm »
Living in a small area, I don't get to see as much as I would like.  I still get out every single time I can, but normally I have to drive an hour or two for some good shows.  

As far as similarities, it is cool to hear how similar my system sounds to our symphony orchestra here.  But it will never do dynamics, and SPL anywhere near live.  I mean, I have seen Tony Rice many many times, and I can get the same amount of dynamics, and SPL as he does when he is playing live in a small venue, but I can't touch even a small string quartet.  

I saw a string quartet at my friend's wedding reception, and both of us were remarking about how our systems would never do that.  

I just love seeing live music, and there is no substitute.  Even the best system I have ever heard is not that close to live music.

B