AKSA amplifiers?

robert1325

AKSA amplifiers?
« on: 6 Sep 2006, 10:40 am »
Hello,

I've read a bit about the AKSA amplifiers, they seem really good, my problem is : i can't DIY. Is it possible to get one build in a case?

I live in Holland ,and currently use the cambridge audio 640A with my B&W dm603s3. I wonder wich AKSA amplifier would be an affordable upgrade?

Greetings

Robert

Felipe

Re: AKSA amplifiers?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:58 pm »
Hi Robert,

First of all, welcome to the Circle.
I know you are in the market for a Squeezebox, so i assume you are planning to use the new amp with it.
That beeing said, you can exclude the preamp issue, because the SB drives the AKSA amps easily and it has internal volume control. Plus if you cambridge as outputs and you need source switching, you can connect the SB to the cambridge, then the cambridge to the AKSA.

The AKSA power amps come in 3 versions : Stock , Nirvana upgrade and Nirvana+ upgrade.  I would recommend the N+, but even the Stock unit i BET MY HEAD ON IT --> It bests your Cambridge. The N+ will simply BLOW your amp away, it is a very refined machine.

Your best option is to contact Hugh Dean and ask him the possibility of a build kit. But my bet goes to that you can build it on your own. Do you have any electronic background ? Do you know how to distinguish a resistor from a capacitor ? If so....that is all there is to it.
The aksa's come with a full manual and instructions, you just can't go wrong. All you need to buy is the KIT plus transformers and a case. Its really simple. I am in Europe so i can help you with sourcing parts.

Plus if you browse the forum a litle you can see that all users get feedback and its just a matter of time before they solve their issues. NEVER, NEVER there was an AKSA that was left unbuilt !

I dont believe there are Holland native Aksaphiles but i may wrong...perhaps Hugh can help here ?

robert1325

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2006, 02:59 pm »
Yes, i'm in the market for a squeezebox  :thumb: ,  No I don't have any background in electronics ( i'm only 17 to) So this would be a big project for me,  When driving the squeezebox straight into the power-amp,  are there no problems with the so called white noise? 

If I  went with one Wich one should i actually take? I'm in a small room (3x4m) and don't think I need massive power to drive my B&W floorstanding speakers. my current amp is 65wpc and my dads 300B audion mono's are 25 wpc, both play fine.  I see a big price difference between the lifeforce aksa's and the normal ones...   

The manual, is it step by step kind of thing? 

Felipe

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2006, 04:00 pm »
The AKSA Lifeforce is only available to AKSA owners. The price you see is for the upgrade from AKSA to Lifeforce. It is not marketed at beginners  :lol:....though if you have the money and will...you can buy the AKSA, build it , and trade it in for a Lifeforce. But that seems too expensive to you right now.

I advise you to build (if you decide to buy one) the AKSA 55w. Its more than you going to need.
The manual is pretty much step by step. Really easy. Any doubts you can ask here. It even has pictures.

I built mine when i was 23, though i was in my 4th year of EE.

Do take in mind that although this is a amp kit, it is an audiophile product. Attention to detail is important here and careless actions can lead to $$expensive repairs !

Good luck. I can tell you that if you build one....you will never want another amp ever again. This is one true special amplifier, and Hugh Dean is a true gentleman.

Filipe

robert1325

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2006, 04:52 pm »
Could you give me an estimate , how much it would cost to build a good simple AKSA 55 amplifier?  Also, is the dual mono design a lot pricier? The reviewer of tnt  said there was a big improvement

Felipe

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2006, 05:51 pm »
The AKSA has dual mono geometry. You can choose to build it all in one case or split it into 2 boxes. Same sound and same price, different looks. The one you read at TNT is an old thread.

I believe the AKSA 55w is $430 AUD , plus $330 for the Nirvana+ upgrade. Put about $100 shipping.
Thats roughly $860 AUD wich makes about 500€.

To this you have to add 2x transformers ( i bought mine from Avel Lindberg ). Cost is around 120€.

All you need then is a case and that is it. Depending on your building skills !

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2006, 10:34 pm »
Felipe,

Many thanks for your great advice;  on the money.

Robert,

I will send you an email later today;  suffice to say, I can help!!

Thank you for your interest in the AKSA!

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2006, 02:35 am »
my problem is : i can't DIY.

hello robert and welcome!

first of all you CAN build your own AKSA amp... I am livng proof of that as i am now very much enjoying wonderful music from my 55N+.  I started with absolutely NO knowledge of electronics nor soldering experience (do a search with my name and see all my inquiries about getting started).  My advice would  be to get a couple of cheap kits and play around and see how easy it is (of course that means you would have to also get a soldering iron) and then take it from there.  But it really isn't that DIFFICULT.... time consuming, yes.  difficult... not really.  as long as you are patient and work methodologically through the instructions all will be fine.  Trust me- if I can do it then I am sure you can too (and being 17 you probably won't need a magnifying glass  :o

Now of course you may CHOOSE not to build one becuase of time constraints, too much good beer to drink, or some other personal reasons.  If that is the case then I am sure that Hugh has already contacted you.  Maybe you could  get one of the modules that someone traded in as an upgrade for the Lifeforce.  Then you would just have to buy a couple of transformers and a case to put them in, wire it and and listen to music!!!  I agree with Felipe and  think the 55 would be just fine... mine fills up my room nicely (approx 3.5m x 7m).

The costs involved: Amp boards, a couple of transformers (mine were about 120 USD for the two I believe), a case (mine was 80 USD), a nice soldering station (mine was 50 USD), a decent DIMM (mine was 30 USD), and a few guilders... er... euros for a Grolsch or two each night after working on your amp :beer:

and if you ever run into any problems there is a great community here to help you along... don't be shy about asking

Hegemony

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2006, 03:36 am »
Hi,

I would also like to encourage you to enjoy building an AKSA, especially if you are starting out in Audio.  You will learn a ton, it really isn't that hard...I am also proof of this and there is a tremendous amount of satisfaction when you listen to your music.  I had next to no electronic experience when I started.  Hugh is most supportive and this forum is a font of knowledge.

On top of all this there is the positive that the AKSA is also of excellent sonic quality which you can read about in many threads on this forum.  There are many options for you to upgrade along the way as the bug bites.

"Just build it"
Russ